Movies Obscurish good movies

Hamburger Hill (1987)

This gritty Vietnam War drama was overshadowed by Platoon and Full Metal Jacket, which came out around the same time, but there is a lot to recommend about Hamburger Hill.

Like those other movies, it is drenched in realism and raises difficult questions about the war and its impact - on the soldiers, on the civilians, and on the human spirit. Reviews of this movie by many Vietnam vets say it portrayed their experiences correctly.

Cast includes a young Don Cheadle and a young Dylan McDermott.

Full movie on Youtube:

Naked (1993)

British filmmaker and playwright Mike Leigh has a fascination with human dialogue. Many of his best works started with no script. Instead he encourages his actors to inhabit their roles and improvise their conversations and interactions.

And so Naked is all about talking. David Thewlis plays a intellectual but irredeemable asshole who barges into the life of a female friend, then wanders into the night and encounters various strangers.

It's honestly very engaging, owing to the magnetic performance of Thewlis.

Full movie on Youtube:

Last edited:
Stone Cold (1991)

If you want total 80s/90s action cheese, look no further than Stone Cold. Planned to be the star-making movie for NFL bust out Brian Bosworth, it's instead an artifact of Hollywood tough guy bullshit.

Bosworth's ego is on full display. He plays the most badass plain clothes cop, who must infiltrate a badass criminal biker gang involved in gun-running and assassination.

Bikes, brawls, boobs - this movie has got it all! Also starring Lance Henriksen and William Forsythe as villainous scum.

Full movie on Youtube. Don't report it.

Last edited:
Ms. 45 (1981)

This highly stylized urban thriller was the directorial debut of Abel Ferrera (King of New York, Bad Lieutenant).

Zoe Lund stars as a pretty but silent young woman who works in the fashion industry in NYC. After being victimized by two rapists on the same night, she defends himself from an intruder and kills him - finding a .45 caliber pistol on his person.

Instead of going to police, she gets rid of the body and keeps the gun. And so Ms. 45 is born, with a quest for vengeance in the streets!

Full movie on YouTube:

I have been on a tear lately staying up late and watching Tubi, a free APP on Smart TV. Old horror or Sci Fi is the best. Some are terrible but still so much fun.

Suspira 1977
Critters
Slugs
Chud
The Stuff
Invaders From Mars
Motel Hell
Black Christmas
Life Force

I have been on a tear lately staying up late and watching Tubi, a free APP on Smart TV. Old horror or Sci Fi is the best. Some are terrible but still so much fun.

The Stuff

Here is the full movie of The Stuff (1985) on Youtube if anyone wants to check it out.

As much a dark satire as it is a horror sci-fi movie. Stars Michael Moriarty as an investigator who has misgivings about a mysterious yogurt-like substance being marketed as the next dessert sensation.

Slugs
Yeah, this is one of Juan Piquer Simón most (in)famous pictures. The guy had a brilliant run of unintentionally hilarious flicks. He has a strong cult following here!
He usually cast one supporting actor from my region (Frank Braña) who had a very long career acting in spaghetti westerns (including all three films of Leone's trilogy with Clint Eastwood and Once upon a time in the west) and he has the craziest random lines on every movie. Here's one from Slugs:

If you are interested in entering the insane world of Piquer Simon you can try with:

The Street Fighter (1974)

What Bruce Lee was to Hong Kong and kung fu, Sonny Chiba was to Japan and karate in the 1970s. and The Street Fighter was his most popular movie.

Chiba plays fighter-for-hire Terry Tsurugi - and he is a jerk! Just an intimidating asshole to everyone. He's only a hero because his enemies are worse assholes.

The fight scenes are, of course, utter cheese and fantasy compared to MMA. But the cinematography is surprisingly good and the violence is brutal fun.

Full movie on Youtube. Turn on closed captions for English subtitles.

I watched one last night called The Outpost. Based on a true story of an indefensible military outpost in Afghanistan that got beseiged by the Taliban.

If you liked Black Hawk Down, you'll love it. The first half drags a bit and is a bit light on character development, but once the action picks up, it's phenomenal.

Last edited:
This thread inspired me to bust out this movie from the collection.

View attachment 980972
I waded through 12 pages waiting to post that one.
Run Lola Run is another good one.
Run Lola Run was my backup....
lf

How about Innocent Blood ?
p14262_p_v8_aa.jpg

It isn't rated highly, but I remember kinda liking it.
*This is an edit after I mistakenly posted this in the YLYL earlier.
Apologies and thanks to @RightToBareKnuckles , your response showed me my error.

Stone Cold (1991)

If you want total 80s/90s action cheese, look no further than Stone Cold. Planned to be the star-making movie for NFL bust out Brian Bosworth, it's instead an artifact of Hollywood tough guy bullshit.

Bosworth's ego is on full display. He plays the most badass plain clothes cop ever, who must infiltrate a badass criminal biker gang involved in badass gun-running and assassination.

Bikes, brawls, boobs - this movie has got it all! Also starring Lance Henriksen and William Forsythe as villainous scum.

Full movie on Youtube. Don't report it.

Yeah this is a good one. Might have been an all time classic if it had been Stallone or Bruce Willis in the lead role. Opening scene is a pretty wonky ripoff of Cobra, the pet komodo dragon is a pretty wonky ripoff of Elvis from Miami Vice (which was itself quickly jettisoned from the show as too corny)...but after that once the characters are put in place and the story gets going it is a legit good cop action movie.

Could be my favorite role Lance Henriksen ever played. On the short list of candidates anyway.

Jennifer 8, Johnny Handsome and No Escape would be three more decent candidates for the obscure movie list that have a good performance by Lance Henriksen.

In fact what the hay... Obscurish (reasonably) good movies, Lance Henriksen edition...

Jennifer 8
Johnny Handsome
Powder
No Escape
Near Dark
The Quick and the Dead
Stone Cold
Expedition: Bismarck (narration of James Cameron documentary)

Last edited:
Obscurish (reasonably) good movies, Bill Paxton edition...

Indian Summer
Trespass
The Lords of Discipline
One False Move
Frailty
A Simple Plan
The Evening Star (Terms of Endearment 2, I would definitely watch the first one beforehand)
An Early Frost (TV movie)
Ghosts of the Abyss (narration of James Cameron documentary)

It's interesting (and no surprise) that for the more wondrous undersea exploration in Ghosts of the Abyss, James Cameron goes with Bill Paxton as the narrator but when they are diving to the bottom of the sea for a Nazi batteship wargrave it's Lance Henriksen for his somber gravitas.

Indian Summer
Trespass
The Lords of Discipline
One False Move
Frailty
A Simple Plan
The Evening Star (Terms of Endearment 2, I would definitely watch the first one beforehand)

It's interesting (and no surprise) that for the more wondrous undersea exploration in Ghosts of the Abyss, James Cameron goes with Bill Paxton as the narrator but when they are diving to the bottom of the sea for a Nazi batteship wargrave it's Lance Henriksen for his somber gravitas.
diving for the warship reminded me of Black Sea (2014). at first I was a bit skeptical of Jude Law playing a tough guy, but I think he did well and the movie was solid

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2261331/

black-sea.jpg

I watch that movie every December! Even though it is about a suicide prevention hotline on Christmas Eve, and the story involves death and a serial killer, I still consider it a holiday season movie. Steve Martin and Madeline Kahn are great in it
Every holiday season I watch "The Ref" since it is one of my wife's favorite movies.

Dennis Leary plays a cat burglar who avoids police by holding a disfuncrional family hostage during Christmas dinner.

Pretty decent film for what it is.

Indian Summer
Trespass
The Lords of Discipline
One False Move
Frailty
A Simple Plan

I saw "A simple plan" for the first time recently and liked it.

Felt like a Coen Brothers film in a Taratino 90s noir universe.

Ms. 45 (1981)

This highly stylized urban thriller was the directorial debut of Abel Ferrera (King of New York, Bad Lieutenant).

Zoe Lund stars as a pretty but silent young woman who works in the fashion industry in NYC. After being victimized by two rapists on the same night, she defends himself from an intruder and kills him - finding a .45 caliber pistol on his person.

Instead of going to police, she gets rid of the body and keeps the gun. And so Ms. 45 is born, with a quest for vengeance in the streets!

Full movie on YouTube:

Zoe Lund is fuxkin cool I saw some other movie with her but I'm drunk

EDIT: It was Special Effects by Larry Cohen. Real good movie with some Argento vibes

Indian Summer
Trespass
The Lords of Discipline
One False Move
Frailty
A Simple Plan

Mean Dreams is actually a solid Paxton flick too…

Back