How Do You Guy’s See Australian MMA Progressing?

markantony20

Cesar was never my friend.
@Brown
Reaction score
I find myself thinking about this often being Australian myself.

We are turning out some pretty decent talent despite not having a massive combat sport’s culture like places like the USA or Russia.

Eternal MMA seems to be a decent feeder organisation to the UFC too, most Aussie guys in the UFC right now have competed for them at one point.

How do you guys see our MMA developing in the coming years?

Personally I don’t know if we Will because a MMA powerhouse like the USA, Brazil, or Russia but I think we’ll do pretty good.

What’s your thoughts?

I don't expect much elite level talent to come out of Australia in the future, not enough wrestling. Definitely a lot better than what it was though from the days of Elvis Sinosic, Tony Bonello and Chris Haseman.

So maybe it's bogus but I kind of lump Australian MMA and Oceania MMA together. Clearly with champs like Volk, Whittaker and Izzy you guys are in good hands when it comes to future coaches, regional scenes and gyms with the quality to produce world class level talent. Kai Kara France is a very solid Flyweight and guys like Erceg, Della Maddalena and there's that contender series fella who's name I can't quite remember are all great up and comers. Fergus Jenkins is another talent out of City Kickboxing to watch out for.

The future looks solid for Australian MMA, unlike Russian MMA where the UFC just avoids signing most of the talent.

I don't expect much elite level talent to come out of Australia in the future, not enough wrestling. Definitely a lot better than what it was though from the days of Elvis Sinosic, Tony Bonello and Chris Haseman.
Yeah if we could get wrestling over here I feel like we would improve a lot of talent.

There’s just such little interest for it here.

It will keep improving, Australia has great athletes and great quality training.

Would be great to see two champs at once.

It will keep improving, Australia has great athletes and great quality training.

Would be great to see two champs at once.
I’d love that.

The only problem is getting the better athletes into MMA because Rugby and AFL are more popular and pay way more. I imagine it’s the same deal as in America how top tier athletes will go into the NFL or NBA because it pays so much more.

I couldn't be happier that we have Volk and Whittaker repping Australian MMA - Two elite fighters at the top of the food chain who also happen to be a class act. Can't get much better than that.

Australia will definitely be churning out more talent in the coming years. JDM and Erceg already might be the next two guys to go far in the UFC, especially JDM.

I still remember when we only had the unathletic Sotiropolous and Perosh repping us. How times have changed.

Back