Few girls are entertaining - Sean O'Malley proposes a separate league for female UFC fighters (WUFC)

If the rate of abysmal mens matches were anywhere near the rate of abysmal women’s matches the UFC wouldn’t be a functioning business. Women’s divisions don’t even have the depth to sustain divisions let alone put on exciting matchups. Women’s MMA is private market version of title 9.
People already have a problem when there are like 3 wmma fights on a card. You can't have a deep women's division if the majority of fights on a card are always men. That alone means that fewer women will be signed which results in weaker divisions.

If it got removed nobody sane would complain, and you could tune in to female fights to your hearts content if you really wanted.

Let the women have their own thing and let's see how many true WMMA fans there really are....

At the very least even subpar leadership would know the best way to build a larger WMMA audience is to downsize the divisions or drop some and give us 20 legitimate athletes per division and let the fans grow attached to those, which the UFC did pretty well with the first female ultimate fighter.

It's just really hard to sell WMMA when you put it next to MMA, we all know anywhere from 50-80% of the WMMA fights in the UFC aren't even watched, and I don't know anyone who actively watches Invicta anymore. You got to sell WMMA not with the talent, you have to sell the characters and the stories a lot more, not marketing them like they would beat Floyd or prime Mike Tyson, it's ludicrous.

Last edited:
I don’t mind WMMA fights on the same UFC card. I wouldn’t mind a TUF season of all women 125-145. We need more female stars.

MMM... I'm not sure that's true, and even if it was, thats comparing the few most amazing fights WMMA has ever to one very recent solid prospect who happens to also be an attention whore.

I'd still rather watch Omalleys next fight than any WMMA fighter's next fight. Let alone the male stars
Respectfully. Cyborg has held down cards single handedly as the biggest star main event on many occasions. O’Malley vs Ronda? Dude you have got to be playing. The most elite women entertainers in the sport of mma O’Malley should be honored to seing from the teet of snd he is a dude who is heavily benefiting from the UFC hype machine complete with sus decisions making that statement? Make this make sense

People already have a problem when there are like 3 wmma fights on a card. You can't have a deep women's division if the majority of fights on a card are always men. That alone means that fewer women will be signed which results in weaker divisions.
Majority of fights are men because women’s fights suck and nobody wants to see them, and there just isn’t a deep enough talent pool of women fighters which is partially why their fights suck. It’s not like there are all these great women fighters that are ready to be signed and sexist men just don’t wanna watch them., not what’s happening. Look, women and men are just physically very different, men naturally have the musculoskeletal structure and the quick burst athletic dexterity that makes MMA and some other sports much more compelling to watch. There’s nothing women can do about that, it’s a physical limitation. A few exceptions will break through of course, Nunes, schevchenko, Rose, etc. But not enough to sustain a competitive women’s division.

Last edited:
Majority of fights are men because women’s fights suck and nobody wants to see them, and there just isn’t a deep enough talent pool of women fighters which is partially why their fights suck. It’s not like there are all these great women fighters that are ready to be signed and sexist men just don’t wanna watch them., not what’s happening.

If you have deeper divisions then competition gets tougher which results in better fighters over time. How do you think we got this far in men's mma compared to years ago. We already have seen examples of great women fighters so we know there's room to grow. Now it's just a question of whether or not we want to build those divisions or not

It's sad that a namesake of Gráinne Mhaol should disparage the distaff side of the sport like this, Sean forgets that eight girls have won bonuses on the cards in which he has taken part in the UFC, including the Joanna vs Weili foty. Disappointing, but we'll get over it.

If you have deeper divisions then competition gets tougher which results in better fighters over time. How do you think we got this far in men's mma compared to years ago. We already have seen examples of great women fighters so we know there's room to grow. Now it's just a question of whether or not we want to build those divisions or not
I addressed this on the edit:

The fundamental issue here is that women and men are just physically very different, this is an obvious point but it’s bizarrely being ignored when the topic of women’s mma comes up. Men naturally have the musculoskeletal structure and the quick burst athletic dexterity that makes MMA and some other sports much more compelling to watch. There’s nothing women can do about that, it’s a physical limitation. A few exceptions will break through of course, Nunes, schevchenko, Rose, etc. But not enough to sustain a competitive women’s division, therefore women’s mma will never be a compelling product (on the whole).

I addressed this on the edit:

The fundamental issue here is that women and men are just physically very different, this is an obvious point but it’s bizarrely being ignored when the topic of women’s mma comes up. Men naturally have the musculoskeletal structure and the quick burst athletic dexterity that makes MMA and some other sports much more compelling to watch. There’s nothing women can do about that, it’s a physical limitation. A few exceptions will break through of course, Nunes, schevchenko, Rose, etc. But not enough to sustain a competitive women’s division, therefore women’s mma will never be a compelling product (on the whole).

Make the exceptions the rule. We did the same with the men so I don't know why you don't believe we can do the same with the women. Women's mma is still very new and has a lot of ground to make up. There's nothing that makes me think we can't have more talent like JJ, Weili, Rose, Nunes, Valentina...

Make the exceptions the rule. We did the same with the men so I don't know why you don't believe we can do the same with the women. Women's mma is still very new and has a lot of ground to make up. There's nothing that makes me think we can't have more talent like JJ, Weili, Rose, Nunes, Valentina...
There aren’t enough women with the capabilities to do that. We might already be living through a golden age of women’s mma, now that Nunes is gone and Schevchenko is entering the sunset stage I don’t see any women of their caliber that can fill in. So don’t assume there won’t be a regression let alone expecting that we can successfully make every other women’s fighter into new legends.

There aren’t enough women with the capabilities to do that. We might already be living through a golden age of women’s mma, now that Nunes is gone and Schevchenko is entering the sunset stage I don’t see any women of their caliber that can fill in.

I think that's such an illogical point of view. Women's mma is still fairly new yet you think we already have seen the best we'll ever see. Never in the history of this sport has that been the case. It has always been the opposite: The rest of the pack catch up to the greats raising the overall level. The same would happen with women's mma if it gets supported

I think that's such an illogical point of view. Women's mma is still fairly new yet you think we already have seen the best we'll ever see. Never in the history of this sport has that been the case. It has always been the opposite: The rest of the pack catch up to the greats raising the overall level. The same would happen with women's mma if it gets supported
The issue isn’t the skill, it’s the physical gifts. I’m sure the skills will improve but what made both Nunes and Valentina so special was the combination of skill and athletic ability, it’s the quick explosive burst that pops out on the TV. There is a hard cap on the number of women with those physical gifts.

The top 10 females across all divisions are fine and exciting to watch. It gets shallow quickly. I’m not ani-WMMA but I’m also not above calling most of these fights terrible.

Still, Weilli vs Joanna is one of the best fights of all time.
Joanna vs rose 2 is also a great fight. As was Joanna vs Gadelha 1 and 2

It has always been the opposite: The rest of the pack catch up to the greats raising the overall level. The same would happen with women's mma if it gets supported

This is the part people doubt, I think it's too early. There might be some 9-13 year old that was watching ronda 6 years ago and got into fighting. that kid could be 15-18 or something right now and we just haven't seem them yet. Hell it, could be Erin Blanchfield for all we know who goes on to win a title and defend it 5+ times and we're all calling her the goat in 2026

We have to see how it pans out, but right now it's not looking good. Andrade is probably the most exciting active female fighter, theres also shevchenko, rose and zhang. Grasso is very cute so she'll be a big draw too.

Last edited:
The UFC has kept WMMA so they can say they are an equal opportunity organization. They will never, at least in my lifetime, spin off a UFC WMMA only promotion. No consistent real money in WMMA (beyond a brief Rhonda moment), only headaches, and everybody with more than two brain cells knows that.
Its all about image with these cuck companies. Walt is about promoting woke agendas and shoving them down your throat until you accept it with flying colors. No way they would ever let the UFC get rid of the womens division. Making a whole org just for women fighters would never fly. They already see how the wnba is and the extreme lack of profits that they generate. The NBA is paying for the wnbas salary, and those women want more money. LMAO. So they won't ever let that happen with the UFC so it will always be men and women tied together, to create max profits for the womens side.

Suga is right and I've been saying it for a long time now. Put all the women on their own fight cards and ppvs. Why can't we use wokisms to make this happen? Why did men get a whole card for their selves but women can't? They need an all women ppv and let the numbers speak for itself. The mass majority of people don't give a fuck about wmma, but walt and the ufc still wanting to shove wmma fights over the main card to meet those quotas.

He's just saying what the majority think. It would fail on its own and they know that.

I go back and forth . My gripes are the common ones.

I do like that the UFC gives women combat sports athletes a way to make money. or even the perception, there's that carrot for them now. Regardless it's tacked on to men's, or it's political, or it's not really for women it's for the UFC bottom line to fill cards.

There are a lot of girls wrestling in high school or doing jiujitsu or taekwondo and I like that maybe some of them might see this as something to work hard for. I think there are not as many as boys but some girls who need this type of physical outlet. Maybe more motivation for them to work harder knowing the UFC has women, and that's enough for it to come into my thinking.

Another factor for me. If there was no women in the UFC , there would be less cards. I love having a ufc card every week.

Back