Coffee

I hate coffee and always have. I haven’t had caffeine in 10 years. But I do love tea....green in the morning, ginger lemon or elderberry at night. Bit of honey and some stevia.

It definitely is. Once I started drinking really good coffee, I couldn’t go back. You also need a good coffeemaker (or can French press if that’s your thing) though—like I used to get my parents nice coffee as a gift sometimes. One time I was visiting them and I made some of it in their coffeemaker and it tasted like shit.

Here are the two main places I buy mine if you’re interested.
https://dragonflycoffeeroasters.com/collections/rare-exclusive-micro-lots

https://georgehowellcoffee.com/collections/all-coffee
Amen to that though I'll add the tip that almost nobody who owns cheap coffeemakers takes the step of proper maintenance with an occasional vinegar cleaning cycle. I'd be willing to bet water comes out a pretty dark brown if you run a pot of water with no coffee in it. I usually do that first, then fill a pot with white vinegar, and run it through several times. Then I run another 1-2 pots of water through to clear out the vinegar.

Lavazza is solid. Shits just super expensive usually so I settle for Don Francisco when it’s more affordable.

I do like Black Rifle Coffee but they are way too pricey for me.

Amen to that though I'll add the tip that almost nobody who owns cheap coffeemakers takes the step of proper maintenance with an occasional vinegar cleaning cycle. I'd be willing to bet water comes out a pretty dark brown if you run a pot of water with no coffee in it. I usually do that first, then fill a pot with white vinegar, and run it through several times. Then I run another 1-2 pots of water through to clear out the vinegar.
True, and even though my coffeemaker doesn’t suck I make sure to clean it periodically as well.

Right now vacationing in Bali, sampled and bought some very expansive kopi luwak, basically its partially fermentes coffee pooped out by local animal called civet from ingesting arabica beans.

I remember this coffee very well from the movie bucket list so I wanted to try.
You didn't really say what you thought of the taste, other than you bought some. And yeah, it's supposedly the most expensive coffee on Earth, or at least it was when I first heard of it awhile back--never had it mind you. It seems like a gimmick so I'm curious to know what it's really like.

Speaking for myself, Lebanese coffee is pretty good now and then but it's not the way to go if you are trying to limit caffeine consumption lol.

I’ve been a coffee addict for years. I’ve since started limiting my intake to just the AM. I have a Nespresso machine for when I need something quickly. But lately I’ve been using a French press or my Chemex.

Speaking for myself, Lebanese coffee is pretty good now and then but it's not the way to go if you are trying to limit caffeine consumption lol.

Is there a praticular brand of Labanese coffee that you prefer? I'm not a coffee snob but I drink my two to three cups daily and would like to branch out to different offerings. Thanks!

I'm a loyal customer of a local cafe, so they sell me beans on the cheap from a local roastery. Costs me less than the stale beans you get on supermarket shelves.

the difference in quality is substantial. Get it fresh, and make sure it has a roast date.

cocaine.jpg

The coffee maker doesn't make the coffee. It is the grinder. Too many people use blade grinder which get a lot of fines and make the coffee bitter. A good variable burr grinder, will run you at least $500 new. A consistent like 90% to making a good coffee or espresso. Burr grinders in my opinion should be had by anyone that likes coffee and wants freshly ground coffee. The grinders at your supermarket are very hit and miss and the adjustments are so loose that it is hard to produce a grind that matches up consistently with how you like coffee. If you are going to get a burr grinder, you might as well spend $250-500 for a used mechanical espresso machine for espresso drink. I got a used La Pavoni that has paid for itself many times over.

When I make coffee, I just French drip it because it is easy but any adjustments are all in the grind size, amount of coffee, and seeping time.

Last edited:
The coffee maker doesn't make the coffee. It is the grinder. Too many people use blade grinder which get a lot of fines and make the coffee bitter. A good variable burr grinder, will run you at least $500 new. A consistent like 90% to making a good coffee or espresso. Burr grinders in my opinion should be had by anyone that likes coffee and wants freshly ground coffee. The grinders at your supermarket are very hit and miss and the adjustments are so loose that it is hard to produce a grind that matches up consistently with how you like coffee. If you are going to get a burr grinder, you might as well spend $250-500 for a used mechanical espresso machine for espresso drink. I got a used La Pavoni that has paid for itself many times over.

When I make coffee, I just French drip it because it is easy but any adjustments are all in the grind size, amount of coffee, and seeping time.
giphy.gif

C'mon, dude, you don't have to spend $500 to adequately grind the beans.

giphy.gif

C'mon, dude, you don't have to spend $500 to adequately grind the beans.

You can get a hand burr grinder for half that but good variable burr grinders are not cheap. A blade grinder can't give you a consistent sized grind.

Is there a praticular brand of Labanese coffee that you prefer? I'm not a coffee snob but I drink my two to three cups daily and would like to branch out to different offerings. Thanks!
Lebanese coffee isn't a type of bean--in fact, regardless of brand, there's really only 2 varieties of coffee bean in general use FTR--rather it's the method of preparation, to wit,

LEBANESE COFFEE
"Lebanese coffee is a traditional type of coffee commonly consumed in Lebanon and other Middle Eastern countries. It is one of the coffee traditions made by boiling method, similar to Turkish coffee. You can learn the details of coffee brewing methods in our related blog by clicking this link.

Lebanese coffee is made the same way as Arabic coffee, which slightly differs from Turkish coffee brewing. While brewing Turkish coffee, ground coffee and water are mixed while the water is cold, but in Arabic and Lebanese coffee, ground coffee is added to the water when it comes to the boiling point. In addition, cardamom is not a common ingredient in Turkish coffee."

Having said all that, according to the link below which I found just now the way the beans are roasted for traditional Lebanese coffee is different than for other brewing methods so your brand question is a valid one:

How to Make Lebanese Coffee at Home – Lebanese and Turkish Coffee Recipe

Lebanese and Turkish Coffee Recipe
"Traditional Arabic Coffee that is served in the Arabic Gulf is usually made with very lightly roasted coffee beans, with the grinds being almost amber in color. At that level, the coffee has far more caffeine than darker roasts. Traditional Arabic coffee is very finely ground (finer than espresso grinds), brewed with some cardamom spice and then served along with dates. Lebanese style coffee is made in a similar fashion, however the beans are far darker roasted and the outcome is a full bodied coffee profile. It can be served with or without cardamom spice based on preference. Some folks like to down it black, and others add a bit of sugar to it."

Najjar Lebanese Favorite Coffee Brand
"Our favorite Lebanese coffee brand has always been Cafe Najjar. They have a variety of flavor profiles with medium and dark roasts, and some already include cardamom spice which is my favorite. This brand and others could be easily purchased online today."

Lebanese coffee isn't a type of bean--in fact, regardless of brand, there's really only 2 varieties of coffee bean in general use FTR--rather it's the method of preparation, to wit,

LEBANESE COFFEE
"Lebanese coffee is a traditional type of coffee commonly consumed in Lebanon and other Middle Eastern countries. It is one of the coffee traditions made by boiling method, similar to Turkish coffee. You can learn the details of coffee brewing methods in our related blog by clicking this link.

Lebanese coffee is made the same way as Arabic coffee, which slightly differs from Turkish coffee brewing. While brewing Turkish coffee, ground coffee and water are mixed while the water is cold, but in Arabic and Lebanese coffee, ground coffee is added to the water when it comes to the boiling point. In addition, cardamom is not a common ingredient in Turkish coffee."

Having said all that, according to the link below which I found just now the way the beans are roasted for traditional Lebanese coffee is different than for other brewing methods so your brand question is a valid one:

How to Make Lebanese Coffee at Home – Lebanese and Turkish Coffee Recipe

Lebanese and Turkish Coffee Recipe
"Traditional Arabic Coffee that is served in the Arabic Gulf is usually made with very lightly roasted coffee beans, with the grinds being almost amber in color. At that level, the coffee has far more caffeine than darker roasts. Traditional Arabic coffee is very finely ground (finer than espresso grinds), brewed with some cardamom spice and then served along with dates. Lebanese style coffee is made in a similar fashion, however the beans are far darker roasted and the outcome is a full bodied coffee profile. It can be served with or without cardamom spice based on preference. Some folks like to down it black, and others add a bit of sugar to it."

Najjar Lebanese Favorite Coffee Brand
"Our favorite Lebanese coffee brand has always been Cafe Najjar. They have a variety of flavor profiles with medium and dark roasts, and some already include cardamom spice which is my favorite. This brand and others could be easily purchased online today."
pretty common here
we call it finjan, very nice aroma
maybe I will try it soon, I want to test my ruta, which has the exact smell of figs

You can get a hand burr grinder for half that but good variable burr grinders are not cheap. A blade grinder can't give you a consistent sized grind.
These were the #1 and #2 rated burr grinders (the #2 being the best buy) by America's Test Kitchen who are very thorough and objective in their approach to testing equipment:
($149) Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
($99) Capresso Infinity Conical Burr Grinder

Of relevance here, from their testing:
America's Test Kitchen said:
Grinding Coarse, Medium, And Fine Coffee
Brew method usually dictates grind setting: Generally, coarse coffee is used for French press, medium for drip machines, and fine for espresso. A good grinder should be able to produce these three consistencies, so we ground coffee on the settings recommended by each manufacturer for coarse, medium, and fine. We repeated the grinding tests with light roasted beans and very dark roasted beans, which have different densities...

Differences In Grind Evenness
Next, we zeroed in on the evenness of the ground coffee, one of the much-touted benefits of burr grinders. Scott Frost, postdoctoral scholar at the UC Davis Coffee Center, told us that brewing coffee is inherently a race against time. Coffee has more than 800 aromatic compounds, and the goal is to try to extract as many of the pleasant aromatics before some of the more unpleasant flavors—such as excessive acidity or bitterness—have time to dissolve into your brew. If all the grounds in your coffee were the exact same size, this would be relatively easy because the water would extract each tiny piece of coffee at the same rate. But ground coffee is never completely even.

Coffee beans shatter like glass when they’re ground—they break into some big pieces, some medium pieces, and some tiny dust-like pieces. In the coffee industry, those big pieces are referred to as “boulders” and the dust-like pieces are called “fines.” In a typical brew, the boulders will be underextracted (tasting dull and flavorless) and fines will be overextracted (tasting bitter and acidic). Some amount of boulders and fines is inevitable no matter how great your grinder, but burr grinders are known throughout the coffee industry for producing an exceptionally even grind (a high percentage of medium pieces) compared to blade grinders. In theory, a more even grind means more control over your final brew.

To get a read on evenness, we ground coffee and sifted it in the Kruve Sifter, a device used by coffee professionals that separates the large pieces, medium pieces, and dust-like particles. We repeated this test, tweaking the grind settings until we achieved the maximum percentage of medium pieces. The grinders in our lineup produced grounds ranging from 28 percent to 88 percent medium pieces, with highly ranked models at the top of that range...

Tasting The Difference: Is Grind Evenness Important?
But how much does grind evenness really affect your cup of coffee? To find out, we brewed three batches of coffee using the same beans ground in the most even burr grinder, the least even burr grinder, and our top-rated blade grinder, which achieved up to 46 percent medium pieces. We kept all the variables the same except for the grinder. A panel of 21 tasters then sampled the coffees in a blind tasting.

The verdict was surprising: Though we identified flavor differences in the batches of coffee, each made a good cup and tasters were split on which one they preferred. To verify these surprising results, we conducted this test three additional times. We also brought in coffee tasting experts, and they came to the same conclusion.

So if the evenness of your grind doesn’t matter all that much, why is the coffee industry so excited about burr grinders? With their range of settings and streamlined designs, which require the beans to pass through the grinder only once, burr grinders can guarantee consistency day after day in a way that blade grinders can’t. Ultimately, we think a good burr grinder is best for home brewing, too, since these machines are easy to use and take the guesswork out of grinding. And even though grind evenness isn’t the most important factor in how your coffee tastes, we also gave an edge to grinders that were more even, since they left no whole or partially processed beans in our grind (a waste of good coffee).
So, end result, with tasters in a blind tasting, ultimately the evenness of the grinds didn't matter. But, maintaning evenness of grinds as the theoretical desire, with the ability to grind at three different consistencies maintaining peak evenness, also considering the simplicity to operate the machine, they were able to assess which grinders offered the best objective performance. The Baratza above achieved 88% regularity. The Capresso achieved 69% regularity.

I would never waste $350 when there is only 12% room for improvement in the regularity of the grind when that regularity of the grind doesn't even translate to a noticeable improvement in the coffee's flavor in repeated blind tastings of both casual and "expert" drinkers. Waste of money.

Back