News K-1 announces return of the famous WGP + launch of global expansion, also plans to get back into MMA

Did you grow up watching K-1 WGP and PRIDE FC?

• Total voters
Sammy Shilt won the 2012 glory wgp, same year as the K1 wgp. Fina was Shilt Vs Ghita
Well, the Finals were hosted in March of 2013, although it's offical name was WGP 2012, I agree it is bit confusing.

When I was a kid I would let the K-1 pay per view infomercial constantly playing on the pay per view channel and throw mad uppercuts in the air. My dad did order a few Pride events for me though, but never K-1.

Last edited:
When I was a kid I would let the K-1 pay per view infomercial constantly playing on the pay per view channel and throw mad uppercuts in the air. My dad did order a few Pride events for me though, but never K-1.

Sounds like a bad parent. Sorry to hear that brosef.

Well, the Finals were hosted in March of 2013, although it's offical name was WGP 2012, I agree it is bit confusing.

Cro fighter. Now I see your bias. Also Mirko lost to Miller, he got a gift decision. Though Miller should maybe have gotten point deductions for clinching the entire fight. But Mirko landed zero shots. Mirko did great in the rematch. Badr Hari also was only there for 1.round, he got injured. Then we had Dzevad Poturak, not top 16 qualifier K1 level. No disrespect to Dzevad though. Also the final should be an extra round. Mirko had a knock down but Lindt pretty much won the rest. I was happy for Mirko though of course. Mirko is a K1 great beat prime JLB, Hunt, Aerts, Greco,. Bernardo. It's not bout Mirko just that it wasn't a real K1 wgp. Glory had 70% of the talent. It was a good tourney but not a real 16 best of the world like K1 used to be.
Great stacked tourney yes, but K1 WgPs are on another level. Mirko already was in the finals of real K1 WgPs, and beat champions.

Ajmo naši lol

K-1 is looking to expand globally, having invited ONE Championship, GLORY, KSW, RISE, KOK, and many more organizations to participate in the heavyweight World Grand Prix and qualifying tournaments all around the world.
The winners of those qualifying tournaments are supposed to meet in the “Final-8” WGP on the big New-Years-Eve event in Japan, just like it used to be back in the days.

K-1 also wants to get back into the MMA business and organize events with help of UFC-Hall-of-Fame athlete and legendary PRIDE FC figure Kazushi Sakuraba.
During the early 2000's K-1 also worked with other MMA-organizations in its 'Dynamite' series, with the premise of K-1 athletes facing off against fighters from PRIDE FC, DREAM and Sengoku.
Rumors state that K-1 is looking to resurrect the 'Dynamite' name with major annual events.

Great news, especially for OG combat sports fans!
This should bring back memories from the late 90’s / early 00’s:cool:

Report from one of my colleagues from MainEventNL:

Report from BeyondKick:

Your poll question is ageist and offensive. I was already an adult when K-1 and Pride came along. I want your job, your soul, and then an apology. ;)

K-1 and K-1 Max were amazing. I don't think it could ever come back like that again.

I used to VHS trade with a friend in japan for all the NYE events.

Last edited:
Cro fighter. Now I see your bias. Also Mirko lost to Miller, he got a gift decision. Though Miller should maybe have gotten point deductions for clinching the entire fight. But Mirko landed zero shots. Mirko did great in the rematch. Badr Hari also was only there for 1.round, he got injured. Then we had Dzevad Poturak, not top 16 qualifier K1 level. No disrespect to Dzevad though. Also the final should be an extra round. Mirko had a knock down but Lindt pretty much won the rest. I was happy for Mirko though of course. Mirko is a K1 great beat prime JLB, Hunt, Aerts, Greco,. Bernardo. It's not bout Mirko just that it wasn't a real K1 wgp. Glory had 70% of the talent. It was a good tourney but not a real 16 best of the world like K1 used to be.
Great stacked tourney yes, but K1 WgPs are on another level. Mirko already was in the finals of real K1 WgPs, and beat champions.

Ajmo naši lol
I am biased I admit that, but also I try to be reasonable and rational as I can be.
There is absolutely no criteria upon which Miller won that fight, zero, none, nada. The only one who threw some strikes in that fight was Mirko, sure there wasn't many of them, but at least there were some, which can't be really said for Miller. The fight really wasn't the prettiest though, no question about it.
Regarding Badr, thats the name of the game, injuries happened before and they will continue to happen after, I really don't see a point in bringing that up.
I agree that Poturak is probably not the top caliber of fighter one would look forward to seeing in the finals of the WGP, but he was replacement fighter anyways and he did deserve that by beating Laschenko. He also holds few more notable wins like Frank Munoz, Melvin Manhoef and even Daniel Ghita. Poturak on a good night was capable of putting a solid resistance to any fighter across the ring.
I think we can agree to disagree on whatever that is we are not agreeing lol. I said that there were some top fighters missing like Ghita, Saki and Spong, but apart from that it was a decent tournament that gets unfairly undervalued by some people.

I am biased I admit that, but also I try to be reasonable and rational as I can be.
There is absolutely no criteria upon which Miller won that fight, zero, none, nada. The only one who threw some strikes in that fight was Mirko, sure there wasn't many of them, but at least there were some, which can't be really said for Miller. The fight really wasn't the prettiest though, no question about it.
Regarding Badr, thats the name of the game, injuries happened before and they will continue to happen after, I really don't see a point in bringing that up.
I agree that Poturak is probably not the top caliber of fighter one would look forward to seeing in the finals of the WGP, but he was replacement fighter anyways and he did deserve that by beating Laschenko. He also holds few more notable wins like Frank Munoz, Melvin Manhoef and even Daniel Ghita. Poturak on a good night was capable of putting a solid resistance to any fighter across the ring.
I think we can agree to disagree on whatever that is we are not agreeing lol. I said that there were some top fighters missing like Ghita, Saki and Spong, but apart from that it was a decent tournament that gets unfairly undervalued by some people.

Well it was a prime tourney. Just saying a proper K1 WGP would be the best fighters from that tourney and the Glory tourney.

Sounds like hollow posturing, if you pay attention to K-1’s current status in the kickboxing scene. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Your poll question is ageist and offensive. I was already an adult when K-1 and Pride came along. I want your job, your soul, and then an apology. ;)

K-1 and K-1 Max were amazing. I don't think it could ever come back like that again.

I used to VHS trade with a friend in japan for all the NYE events.
I’m sorry sir:)

The golden age is gone and never coming back.

Is always the same crap every time @BoxerMaurits creates a Kickboxing thread in the UFC forum and the UFC crybabies come to the kickboxing forum after it gets moved here

"Yes bro, I was so K-1 hardcore, but is dead"
"yes bro, no Hoost, Hari, Bonsyaski, Aerts etc... Now is not good anymore"

Always the same shitty posts over and over again when someone mentions the sport in Kickboxing on their forum. Yes, they were so hardcore and now Kickboxing is dead so that's the excuse they have for just watching UFC and nothing else.

Yes, Kickboxing is so dead that last year, one Kickboxing event did more gate revenue that the biggest UFC event on the UFC history....

If you are a fan of the UFC and their crappy striking (two Glory guys went to the UFC and killed everyone on the historical best division of this organization) is ok, please watch all the UFC's crappy striking you want. But bear in mind that there is a sport called Kickboxing (fragmented, yes, but boxing is even more fragmented and nobody is complaining about it the whole time) with elite strikers, high KO ratio, non-stop action and usually very fun and violent events being hosted every week in the Netherlands, France, Germany (Glory, Enfusion), Japan (K-1, RISE), China (Wu Lin Feng, Kunlun Fight) and South East Asia (ONE Championship, RWS) while you are watching two dudes hugging against a cage stomping each oher feets.

Is always the same crap every time @BoxerMaurits creates a Kickboxing thread in the UFC forum and the UFC crybabies come to the kickboxing forum after it gets moved here

"Yes bro, I was so K-1 hardcore, but is dead"
"yes bro, no Hoost, Hari, Bonsyaski, Aerts etc... Now is not good anymore"

Always the same shitty posts over and over again when someone mentions the sport in Kickboxing on their forum. Yes, they were so hardcore and now Kickboxing is dead so that's the excuse they have for just watching UFC and nothing else.

Yes, Kickboxing is so dead that last year, one Kickboxing event did more gate revenue that the biggest UFC event on the UFC history....

If you are a fan of the UFC and their crappy striking (two Glory guys went to the UFC and killed everyone on the historical best division of this organization) is ok, please watch all the UFC's crappy striking you want. But bear in mind that there is a sport called Kickboxing (fragmented, yes, but boxing is even more fragmented and nobody is complaining about it the whole time) with elite strikers, high KO ratio, non-stop action and usually very fun and violent events being hosted every week in the Netherlands, France, Germany (Glory, Enfusion), Japan (K-1, RISE), China (Wu Lin Feng, Kunlun Fight) and South East Asia (ONE Championship, RWS) while you are watching two dudes hugging against a cage stomping each oher feets.
I think one of the main issues with following kickboxing for mma fans now is that you absolutely have to follow the Japanese scene to understand any of the big fights going on below 70kg. These guys aren't even willing to watch prelims dude haha

Sounds cool. Anyway to watch K-1 events outside of Japan?

I typically don't worry about watching them live. K-1's Youtube channel almost always has individual fight vids up a week after they air on Japanese TV, so I usually wait to watch it then. It's a little bit easier to avoid spoilers for K-1 than it is something like UFC.

I typically don't worry about watching them live. K-1's Youtube channel almost always has individual fight vids up a week after they air on Japanese TV, so I usually wait to watch it then. It's a little bit easier to avoid spoilers for K-1 than it is something like UFC.

Thanks. I'll check their channel out.

Thanks. I'll check their channel out.

The bad thing about K-1's channel is the fights are in Japanese, but if your browser translates, you can usually find whatever you're looking for.

Rise is the same thing (one week delay) but they are in English and Japanese.

I don't really smoke much before work, but I will eat a gummie before I go in, and it takes the edge off dealing with these assholes. When I get off work I'm like that pancake looking dude from the "don't do drugs" commercial from like 10-15 years ago.
Used to do that with a couple of jobs as well, work at the airport now so I can't really show up baked anymore just do it afterwards. Some of the passengers really test your patience sometimes.

Used to do that with a couple of jobs as well, work at the airport now so I can't really show up baked anymore just do it afterwards. Some of the passengers really test your patience sometimes.
Ugh...it's gotta be so much worse for you, as if they get unruly you have to deal with them face to face, and I know it's common in airports. If I had to deal with people face to face Idk if I could survive in that position. I'm 2 years removed from my bid as of the 6th of this month, but some of that mentality you gain inside I don't think ever goes away. I've tried to flag people to pull over and fight for intentionally blocking the crosswalks and stuff lol. My overall patience is probably the best it's ever been, but, being in situations that test it constantly...when I lose it, I lose it all the way.

We gotta hang in there. I work for Costco corporate, you work in an airport. Those are good places to work, can't let it go over assholes.

Back