The Anime and Manga Thread v48

One more episode of Hells Paradise but it's been amazing so far. I've still kind of been watching Gundam here and there and it's getting better but overall disappointed with this show. Especially after IBO which I thought was amazing.

Finally caught up on MHA, loved season six.

Finally started Jujutsu Kaisen. Disappointed it’s taken me this long to watch it, sooooo damn good.
Pretty good timing to start it. Assuming you don't binge S1 and the movie you'll be able to jump right into S2, although if you're like me and hate waiting weekly for a new episode (especially anime's with so much action) then I would just hold off a couple of months until more episodes of S2 comes out.

One more episode of Hells Paradise but it's been amazing so far. I've still kind of been watching Gundam here and there and it's getting better but overall disappointed with this show. Especially after IBO which I thought was amazing.

Which Gundam?

Pretty good timing to start it. Assuming you don't binge S1 and the movie you'll be able to jump right into S2, although if you're like me and hate waiting weekly for a new episode (especially anime's with so much action) then I would just hold off a couple of months until more episodes of S2 comes out.
Yeah no way I can hold off that long lol. I’m watching a few episodes a night right now. By the time I’m done hopefully there’s a few episodes of season 2 and I’ll pry just start watching week to week.

Depending on who you ask, MHA just had an amazing chapter or MASSIVELY jumped the shark. Thoughts?
What happened? I haven't read it in a few years now and don't intend on getting back into it so spoil away. I think the last chapter I read revealed that
invisible girl was a mole.

What happened? I haven't read it in a few years now and don't intend on getting back into it so spoil away. I think the last chapter I read revealed that
invisible girl was a mole.

Dunno about that one but,

The girl Ochako the girl crushing on Deku is basically using Talk-no-Jutsu on the psycho girl who drinks blood and kills people(there's some weird affection thing about it or something) and some stuff about her beautiful smile and talking about romance and wanting to help her. Now, society HAS fucked up in helping her and making her an outcast, but we're talking Joker levels of mass killing she's done directly or indirectly due to to the group she's involved with. I GET where Hori is going with this(hero's save people and everyone deserves to be saved), but we're REALLY stretching it here not mention the handling and presentation were REALLY not great to say the least.

Edit: There's also the criticism that it's only being done do to the psycho girl being marketable a la Harley Quinn as well as Yuri shipping.

Dunno about that one but,

The girl Ochako the girl crushing on Deku is basically using Talk-no-Jutsu on the psycho girl who drinks blood and kills people(there's some weird affection thing about it or something) and some stuff about her beautiful smile and talking about romance and wanting to help her. Now, society HAS fucked up in helping her and making her an outcast, but we're talking Joker levels of mass killing she's done directly or indirectly due to to the group she's involved with. I GET where Hori is going with this(hero's save people and everyone deserves to be saved), but we're REALLY stretching it here not mention the handling and presentation were REALLY not great to say the least.

Edit: There's also the criticism that it's only being done do to the psycho girl being marketable a la Harley Quinn as well as Yuri shipping.
Oh, I remember that character. She was pretty irredeemable as far as I remember. Yup, sounds like a plotline conceived by the marketing department.

Oh, I remember that character. She was pretty irredeemable as far as I remember. Yup, sounds like a plotline conceived by the marketing department.
Please check the chapters out(392 and 393 and maybe the spoilers for 394) as it's something you really need to see to grasp the level of clusterfuck here as well as wanting your thoughts on it as the designated "Wise Elder One".

Please check the chapters out(392 and 393 and maybe the spoilers for 394) as it's something you really need to see to grasp the level of clusterfuck here as well as wanting your thoughts on it as the designated "Wise Elder One".
Read those two chapters and thought it was...not good. The last page leans waaaaay to hard into yuri-bait. The rest of it was stereotypical "I'll talk them out of it! There's still a good person in there, I know it!" tropes. Just plain not well written.

Glad I stopped reading well before this.

Read those two chapters and thought it was...not good. The last page leans waaaaay to hard into yuri-bait. The rest of it was stereotypical "I'll talk them out of it! There's still a good person in there, I know it!" tropes. Just plain not well written.

Yeah not feeling this one either end not feeling motivated to pick it up to marathon. In other news, I don't recall if you ever gave me your thoughts on these

Medalist
https://manga4life.com/manga/Medalist

Asebi and Adventures in Sky World
https://mangadex.org/title/f7be9feb-66f9-43cf-8daa-b244c046e86b/asebi-and-adventurers-of-sky-world

And a few others.

I've been seeing a lot of praise from some people in some of my haunts for these chapters and I'm just sort of "WTF?!" about it. Like, yeah I'm all about empathy, rehabilitation, and giving people second chances, but at some point the trope of Freudian Excuse is no Excuse has to kick in and it be acknowledged that Toga was a HORRIFIC person who did terrible things either directly or by association and her traumatic past is not an excuse. I've also seen it be brought up that some of her stuff was metaphors for being LGBT or something and part of her endured abuse being her trying to be to "conform" or "be normal" as part of her therapy or some shit(anyone who's read the series please chime in to correct if wrong).

Poor Garp.....

Things are not looking good for him and yeah it's gotta suck that your kids and protégé all turned into pirates.

I've also seen it be brought up that some of her stuff was metaphors for being LGBT or something and part of her endured abuse being her trying to be to "conform" or "be normal" as part of her therapy or some shit(anyone who's read the series please chime in to correct if wrong).
Hmmmmm, that's an interesting take. I never picked up on that myself, but I'm also not part of the queer community so I don't have any of the experiences that might make me make that connection. I guess I can see it, but I think it might be a case of people projecting: Japan is an extremely conservative culture and they really aren't accepting of gay people. For the artist of one of the most popular series in one of their most popular magazines to intentionally write LGBTQ allegory just strikes me as very unlikely. I think it's much more likely that it's based on their culture's mandate to conform. Even non-gay people in Japan are well familiar with the principal that 'the nail that sticks up gets pounded down.'

In other news, I don't recall if you ever gave me your thoughts on these

Medalist

I wanted to like Medalist, but after completing the first volume I put it down. The main character seemed to spend about 50% of her screen time crying and I just couldn't put up with it anymore. As for that second one, I'm pretty sure that's the first I've heard of it; I'll add it to the list to check out.

Yeah not feeling this one either end not feeling motivated to pick it up to marathon. In other news, I don't recall if you ever gave me your thoughts on these

Medalist
https://manga4life.com/manga/Medalist

https://mangadex.org/title/f7be9feb-66f9-43cf-8daa-b244c046e86b/asebi-and-adventurers-of-sky-world

And a few others.

I read Medalist and liked it a lot. It's the sort of well made manga that makes me come back to the medium even though I have by now essentially grown out of anime. I find the trainer, the girl, and their relationship as a well made and interesting foundation for the story, but it is the rival and her orbit that captures me; they make a great dynamic together.

If you have not read them, then Ran to Haiiro no Sekai, The Magnificent Grand Scene, and my beloved Narutaru would be good recommendations in a similar vein. Now, "little girls and their coming of age" is hardly my favorite subject, but all of these are really solid. Fair warning though: Grand Scence hasn't been translated for I believe soon to be two years and Narutaru can be somewhat heavy.

OPM webcomic returned from it's 2 year hiatus recently if anyones interested in that.

I read Medalist and liked it a lot. It's the sort of well made manga that makes me come back to the medium even though I have by now essentially grown out of anime. I find the trainer, the girl, and their relationship as a well made and interesting foundation for the story, but it is the rival and her orbit that captures me; they make a great dynamic together.

If you have not read them, then Ran to Haiiro no Sekai, The Magnificent Grand Scene, and my beloved Narutaru would be good recommendations in a similar vein. Now, "little girls and their coming of age" is hardly my favorite subject, but all of these are really solid. Fair warning though: Grand Scence hasn't been translated for I believe soon to be two years and Narutaru can be somewhat heavy.

Read Ran to Haiiro no Sekai ages and rec'd back then. Good manga, but some of the ending stuff was...divisive and I feel like they could have done more with the brothers HS life than they did.

Grand Scene if I remember is the ballet one right? Really need to pick it up again as it was really good.

Narutaru I'm gonna have to pass on.

Super glad you liked Medalist. I'd also recommend Witch Hat Atelier which is also getting an anime soon.

Hmmmmm, that's an interesting take. I never picked up on that myself, but I'm also not part of the queer community so I don't have any of the experiences that might make me make that connection. I guess I can see it, but I think it might be a case of people projecting: Japan is an extremely conservative culture and they really aren't accepting of gay people. For the artist of one of the most popular series in one of their most popular magazines to intentionally write LGBTQ allegory just strikes me as very unlikely. I think it's much more likely that it's based on their culture's mandate to conform. Even non-gay people in Japan are well familiar with the principal that 'the nail that sticks up gets pounded down.'

I wanted to like Medalist, but after completing the first volume I put it down. The main character seemed to spend about 50% of her screen time crying and I just couldn't put up with it anymore. As for that second one, I'm pretty sure that's the first I've heard of it; I'll add it to the list to check out.

Jokes aside, give it another few chapters since the end to that first arc is legit great(fist two maybe three chapters of Vol2). She gets better about it as she starts to build self-esteem and actual sense of self-worth.

Last edited:
Back