WMMA Discussion #28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy for Stoli, once the fight hit the ground that was alls she wrote. Early standup portion was pretty actiony too, which is nice.

Missed the other two fights due to early evening start of the card, guess its coffee and rerun time now.

Lithuanian armbar was so predictable. What are the UFC doing, handpicking opponents to humiliate Molly in co-mains.

Who next for the Scouser, maybe the UFC could pick up this girl, I'd guess Molly might think a gogoplata was a fast food option.

Happy to be wrong. I did not like the hype/push she was getting. Evidently I was a member of Camp Leto for this one.
upload_2023-7-23_14-18-51.jpeg
Lithuanian armbar was so predictable. What are the UFC doing, handpicking opponents to humiliate Molly in co-mains.

Who next for the Scouser, maybe the UFC could pick up this girl, I'd guess Molly might think a gogoplata was a fast food option.

Damn, another sub of the year contender, and we’ve already had some really good ones.

Thoughts: wrestling works, but man is it ever horrible to watch. Wondergirl got blanketed by her opponent in ONE and ran out of gas after a round. She has a lot of work to do, like takedown defence, cardio, grappling, and how to get back up among other things.

Ketlen remembered how she lost her fight to Pennington and was like screw that, I'm just gonna wrestle & blanket. Which she did. A win's a win and it's good to see fighters remember what their strengths are, but I was not entertained.

Don't really remember the Brasil vs. Bannon fight, seemed like a point karate fight in a cage but my impression could be mistaken.

Absolutely shocked, and I mean shocked that Julija managed to a)make 125 and b)actually look decent at 125. Interesting dynamic to the fight, Julija went at Molly hard and had the upper hand in the early exchanges, but Molly started getting the timing down and landed some punches to get some breathing space from the pressure. Molly was able to stop the pressure and start pushing Julija back a bit, but it seems Julija was waiting for that since she timed a nice takedown as soon as Molly overextended on her punches. And from there it was like watching a black belt toy with a newbie.

Not sure how Julija fits into the 125 division. I'd like to think she's an improved Gillian Robertson since she's bigger, stronger, and more comfortable on the feet, but I'd like to see a couple more fights to see how she matches up against the different styles.

Last edited:
Absolutely shocked, and I mean shocked that Julija managed to a)make 125 and b)actually look decent at 125.

I did not realize until last night it was 125 and not 135... yeah, it makes it doubly impressive for Stoli to be able to so it with the earlier horrible troubles on the scales. They probably said it out loud during the broadcast but I watch UFC (and all US sports) on mute unless I have mates over and stuff, to avoid bothering the family at weird hours.

Enjoy reading these takes from everyone.

As many are pointing out it's apparent that you need the wrestling chops if you want to reach the top levels. Many newer fighters have trained from an early age and demonstrate deep skill sets.

Molly McCann vs. Julija Stoliarenko. McCann threw some hard punches but clearly must improve her wrestling and ground game. Julia surprised many of us by making weight and even held her own in her striking. The arm bar was practically a fait accompli once McCann was down and flipped over the wrong way. Agree Julija Jujubi deserves a bonus for that first round submission.

Ketlen Vieira vs. Pannie Kianzad. Vieira did everything she needed to do to win every round on her way to the UD. She has put together another good run lately. Possible match ups for her are numerous.

Bruna Brasil vs. Shauna Bannon. Brasil is one of those fighters who remind me of a hummingbird in that she does more than seems possible for her size and build. Enjoyed her steady pace and variety of skills. Bannon I thought did fine for her UFC debut. She's obviously a good kickboxer. When she improves her distance control and ground game she should hold her own. Going back to my first thought though, one has to improve greatly in those skills to stick around because wmma is becoming more well rounded than it was a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back