Fighters you have met in real life?

@HHJ been sending me his hoot pics since my first day here...why do you think I stayed sir? Lol
cat-confused.gif

Trained with Jose Aldo and Shogun Rua at a seminar in 2010, Wanderlei was there too but didn't train with us, just gave us instructions.

Aldo and Shogun were legit humble and approachable guys. Not the "humble for a famous person/fighter" way, rather the "you'd find them humble even if you didn't know who they were" kind.

Got to roll with Aldo and light spar with Shogun. I'm way bigger than Aldo (obviously, since I got to register to Sherdog) and was surprised how easily he swiped the floor with me, for a guy not really known for his ground game. Got me in a darce.

I didn't care much for Aldo back then, went primarily to meet Shogun and Wanderlei. But by the end of the day, Aldo was my favorite fighter/athlete.

Wanderlei was kind of a dick, the first person he said hello to when walking in the gym was my then girlfriend, and did so a little too enthusiastically for my taste. Didn't say shit because I was only 18 at the time

"Didn't say shit because I wasn't carrying a gun"

Fixed that for you sir lol.

BJ Penn visited the UFC gym in Sydney a few years ago.
Signed my MMA gloves. Didn't talk to him though because there was a long line

Arlovski - Seemed nice, took a ton of time taking photos with fans, etc...

Forrest - Nice guy, impossibly large for 205. Seemed bigger than Arlovski.

Dan Miller - Nice guy, we talked about his guillotine from hell in the IFL. I remember him having a lot of scar tissue on his face. Stuff you don't notice in photos. Maybe it was just the lighting we were in but I kept thinking I don't remember him getting busted up a lot.

Jim Miller - Didn't meet him, I was just around him at a clinic. Seemed cool to the students in the clinic. Incredibly dense, solid guy. More so than he seems on TV. Dude has a core like an oak. Maybe it was because he was out of competition but other than height he didn't seem like he could make 155. A relatively fit 6' grappler I'd peg as at least a WW could barely move him.

Joe Lauzon - Looks exactly the same as he looks on TV. Randomly saw him in public, not an event. Out of context, at a distance, and only seeing the ears and reebok gear I knew that was Joe Lauzon. Super nice guy.

A few TSMMA guys - They are a local fight team and I've hung out with some of them a few times. A very nice group of people but nuttier that squirrel feed. Every last one of them.

Back