Media Michael Chandler's advice for Poirier: Stay where you're at!

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
On Dustin's recent flirting with a move up in weight:

"Depending on how you wanna think about this, I say tap out. If I'm Dustin Poirier or his management — he's not a big 155:er. Some people would say he could make 145. Case in point,
when somebody pulled out of their fight once, he stepped on the scale and took a picture of himself. He was in the 170's."

"I'm about 190 right now, he's not a big lightweight. I don't think it's smart for him to go up to 170. You get hit with a 170-pound punch, it's a lot harder than 155. Dustin, stay at 155!"

Dustin already walked back what he said about 170 and said he was just playing, people are making it out to be more serious than it was. If he ever does go to 170 it will be for someone like Nate Diaz, not a legit top welterweight.

Poitiers would be tiny at 170, he has a small frame.

These grandpas should retire already
dt6.gif

People acting like Dustin couldn't go on that Louisiana Gumbo diet and become a real 170lber...

That said this is old...Dustin will be a 155er.

But people can go up in weight its actually easier then going down most times

Welterweight is filled with wrestlers, which is Poiriers primary weakness. He would not do well there. He really should be fighting one of the new guys after that loss, unfortunately he only wants big fights.

Dustin already walked back what he said about 170 and said he was just playing, people are making it out to be more serious than it was. If he ever does go to 170 it will be for someone like Nate Diaz, not a legit top welterweight.
so he didnt want no smoke with colby

My initial reaction: Poirier would pick Chandler apart.

But i think everyone else here is probably right. Dustin is not a large person.

My initial reaction: Poirier would pick Chandler apart.

But i think everyone else here is probably right. Dustin is not a large person.
well he already did! he subbed Chandler. first guy to do it, as well.

id like to see Dustin stay at 155 and fight big money fights until he wants to retire. P4P one of the most exciting fighters the UFC has ever seen.

Poirier still has great matchups at LW.
He could do a RDA fight or wait for the Gamrot/Fiziev and Dariush/Arman fights to play out.
A KO isn't the end of a fighters career and even if Poirier doesn't have the same chin as before he's got elite boxing with great timing and good cardio. I think he still gives Gamrot, Fiziev, Arman and Dariush all they can handle win or lose.

If he does move to WW for some last run fun matchups RDA, Luque or JDM type fighters would be great to see. Either strikers or undersized LW's.

Dustin is kind of in no man's land right now. Getting a little up in age at 34. Been fighting since 2009, so the wear and tear is starting to add up. Already had two title shots and lost both. And, coming off a loss in a #1 contender match-up. Gonna be hard to climb that mountain again at this point.

Back