Media Aljo confirms he was not out

I like Aljo but the stoppage is acceptable. UFC going deaf and blind on the rematch isn’t!

I mean Algo did move quite a bit and got to his knees .. .

Thats alot of movement for someones whos apparently out..

Also funny the UFC ref decided to stop the fight just he was getting to his Turtle position a position he's used several times before to recover and get back into the fight... Thats all ill say but ya ..

not totally out for sure. though i did a quick search and couldn't find it, but i know there cases where a really rocked fighter starts trying to fight the ref, so people can be out of it but still able to move. I guess on muscle memory. in hindsight they could've given Aljo one more moment, but it's a quick decision refs gotta make.

https://i.ibb.co/br27sQ9/Aljo.gif
Aljo.gif

Last edited:
I understand where he's coming from. Now with that said I really don't have issue with the stoppage. He was hurt bad and he was moving into an even worse position. I wish the ref had held off for a split second because I think he was about to do the classic fetal position move that fighters know gets fights stopped. I find it interesting that there's a big stigma about tapping to strikes but no stigma against assuming the fetal position. They're basically the same thing. They're both telling the ref that you've noped out of this fight and to bail me out of this ass whooping.

Reactions: HHJ
He just sat there for like at least a minute after the fight was over.

Who is he kidding that he wasn't rocked?

Stoppage may have been a tad early but it's heat of the moment and he's not improving position and just getting blasted in the face with punches. It's not a terrible stoppage.

Goddard saved him to fight another day tbf. Most likely scenario is Aljo gets ktfo. I get being disappointed but you just gotta accept the L

This.

He got got. He just needs to accept it. Fighters always say this same dumb shit after a loss.
He definitely got got more than a lot of other stoppages I've seen and didn't have a problem with

gotta stand with sterling on this one. mark not so goodard is notorious for early stoppages. ffs its a UFC title fight, and not some amateur fight between 2 randoms. they should let them go out.

Goddard saved him to fight another day tbf. Most likely scenario is Aljo gets ktfo. I get being disappointed but you just gotta accept the L
everyone wanted him to get KTFO, including sterling himself lmao. whats your problem?
im tired of people saying "the ref saved him". i have never seen a late stoppage IN MMA that led to a fighter never being able to fight again or dying etc.

Work on those horrible TD entries, if you don’t want to get slumped in the future budday

<NoneOfMy>

everyone wanted him to get KTFO, including sterling himself lmao. whats your problem?
im tired of people saying "the ref saved him". i have never seen a late stoppage IN MMA that led to a fighter never being able to fight again or dying etc.

Why does the criteria have to reach "career ending" before we can agree it's a bad thing?

But there are some fighters that take so much damage that their level of performance drops significantly. Rich Franklin and Sakuraba come to mind.

I don't think it was going to be stopped until Sterling flopped over onto his belly while continuing to eat punches and had the body language of someone who wanted out (if he was "turtling up" he sure was taking his sweet-ass time). Honestly I don't think the stoppage was too bad

show me a career ending late stoppage in the UFCs history. (or other big org)

You missed my point completely. Something doesn't have to be career-ending for it to be incredibly bad for someone's brain and body.

But there are some fighters that take so much damage that their level of performance drops significantly. Rich Franklin and Sakuraba come to mind.
Fighters who take too much damage for the most part should blame themselves for their style and not the ref for not jumping in to stop the fight when someone gets slightly hurt with a shot. And its up to their coaches/families/friends to suggest that they should retire or something.

and especially in title fights of that magnitude the ref should let it go a little longer. jon vs dc2 was a good stoppage for a fight of such caliber and you can disagree but i dont care honestly.

Well I’m going to inform you that it’s not about not being able to fight again or dying. It’s about being the same fighter. If you look at brutal wars or late stoppages, they change a fighter for the worse because of damage. Youre welcome

You missed my point completely. Something doesn't have to be career-ending for it to be incredibly bad for someone's brain and body.
Getting hit in the head is incredibly bad for someone's brain and body. Its a part of the sport, if someone doesn't like watching people get hurt maybe switch to watching track and field.

Back