SUV's - what would you recommend?

Tito Tapped

Ayo, is That Mexican OT?
@purple
Reaction score
In the market for a new family vehicle but I've never really been a car guy so school me on what's good and what to look for. I'm not ready to go full on mini-van just yet but SUV's are all the rage these days.

The only requirement is that it's got to have AWD or 4WD because I live in the country and winters are hell. 3rd row seating is a plus, no tiny crossover shit.

376605-homer.jpg

In the market for a new family vehicle but I've never really been a car guy so school me on what's good and what to look for. I'm not ready to go full on mini-van just yet but SUV's are all the rage these days.

The only requirement is that it's got to have AWD or 4WD because I live in the country and winters are hell. 3rd row seating is a plus, no tiny crossover shit.

What's your budget?

We had a 2011 Toyota Highlander that we just traded in earlier this year for another Highlander. My wife loves the Highlander and ours had 215k or miles on it when we traded it in. We probably would still have it if the front suspension repairs wouldn't have cost over half of what the car was worth.

Can't go wrong with these, all 3 rows, full size SUVs, with option of AWD / 4WD.
GMC Yukon (XL)
Chev Tahoe
Chev Suburban
Cadillac Escalde
Ford Expedition (Max)
Lincoln Navigator
Dodge Durango
Volvo XC90

Don't buy American. Don't buy Chinese (Volvo). Don't buy German. Don't buy British.

That leaves Japan and Korea.

Toyota/Lexus anything and you're good to go. Ditto Honda. For some reason Acura has lower satisfaction/build quality, but whatever.
Kia and Hyundai are also good options, but if you can pay the premium for a Toyota/Honda, do.

As for mini-vans. Don't believe the losers. They're incredibly practical and well appointed to boot. Can't go wrong with an Odyssey.

Do you need 3rd row seating?

If not then look into the Honda Ridgeline. Full size back seat and then you still get a truck bed for strollers and other child related items.

I love mine.

If you need 3rd row seating then try the Honda pilot. My understanding is that it's the same platform as the Ridgeline but with an SUV body instead of a truck bed.

Last edited:
Toyota Sequoia if you want a full size SUV or a Toyota 4runner if you want something just a little smaller
I agree with these choices. If you have the budget and want a lot of space then a Sequoia would be a great choice. 4Runner's are also great and also has 4WD options like the Sequoia. If you want more gas efficiency then consider the Highlander Hybrid that has AWD options. Although it has a 3rd row it can get pretty tight IMO. Before I bought my Honda Pilot (which I also recommend) I was highly considering the Highlander Hybrid, but after test driving it my wife didn't like how cramped it was and cheap the interior felt. Now if you are very serious about considering a Sequoia I would also consider the 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser. I heard the base model will be in the mid $50k range, however if you know Toyota it will be barebones and basic. I'm guessing a fully loaded Land Cruiser would be $100k+ so expect to pay $75-85k OTD for a decent model.

Go with a Toyota. It's not American but they are reliable. Second choice would be Honda. Lexus isn't bad too. Acura is a little iffy sometimes.

Don't buy American. Don't buy Chinese (Volvo). Don't buy German. Don't buy British.

That leaves Japan and Korea.

Toyota/Lexus anything and you're good to go. Ditto Honda. For some reason Acura has lower satisfaction/build quality, but whatever.
Kia and Hyundai are also good options, but if you can pay the premium for a Toyota/Honda, do.

As for mini-vans. Don't believe the losers. They're incredibly practical and well appointed to boot. Can't go wrong with an Odyssey.

German Cars are by far the best cars

If you don't care about gas mileage, go with a used Land Cruiser 200 series

2016-toyota-land-cruiser-4-door-4wd-natl-angular-front-exterior-view_100570394_l.jpg

If you care about gas mileage wait for the new 24 Landcruiser. Although keep in mind that they cut the build cost in half for the 2024, so the legendary Landcruiser quality and reliability is going to suffer.

2024-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-a.jpg

If you don't mind older cars, pick up a Land Cruiser 80 series... they are the pinnacle of 4x4 SUVs, and appreciating rapidly:

1997_toyota_land_cruiser_159666540519e2a6c81fBaT-Title-Pic.jpg

Back