Would GSP be as successful if he were fighting in today's UFC?

nivea-men-anti-grease-shampoo-250ml_3.jpg

The game has evolved.

I think he'd still have success. Some of the bigger guys might give him trouble but I would pick him beating Leon, Usman and Colby.

He would be successful, but not a GOAT

GSP was super popular in Canada and they tend to favour non Americans more in promotions. He didn’t have that problem back then despite his style and wouldn’t have that problem today as well for that reason.

I can see you're coming from even though I don't entirely agree. The UFC doesn't give a shit about Canada these days so I don't think they'd give him the same promotion they did back then. The OP also mentioned prime GSP which to me is the more cautious version we saw during his title reign and not the one went for finishes in his early UFC career. IMO he'd end up a lot closer to the Belal Muhammad career path than the one he actually had.

GSP, Jones and Khabib had the greatest skillsets of any fighters in history thus far. GSP would demolish the WW division today and matchup favorably with at least 50% of the top 10 MW's.

I can see you're coming from even though I don't entirely agree. The UFC doesn't give a shit about Canada these days so I don't think they'd give him the same promotion they did back then. The OP also mentioned prime GSP which to me is the more cautious version we saw during his title reign and not the one went for finishes in his early UFC career. IMO he'd end up a lot closer to the Belal Muhammad career path than the one he actually had.

I disagree.

As John Danaher dictated in more recent interviews, GSP went into his middleweight reign with the intent of finishing fights again. This is why he battered bisping in striking before finishing with a submission. He had a new lease on finishing fights when he came back.

In addition, Belal doesn't have 75% of the skills GSP has. GSP would be ragdolling and finishing the guys he's laying on.

Would he also duck Shavkat?
That would be a dream fight.

He wouldn't quite as dominant, but he would still be champion for a good long streak.

Back