30 years of UFC...what has been the best division in MMA?

Best division?

• HW

• LHW

• MW

• WW

• LW

• FW

• BW

• FLW

Results are only viewable after voting.

Baal

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not talking about currently, but over the course of the past 30 years (including PRIDE/Strikeforce), what would you say has been the most talent-loaded/exciting division in MMA?

In my opinion:
1. Light heavyweight
2. Welterweight
3. Heavyweight
4. Lightweight
5. Featherweight
6. Middleweight
7. Bantamweight
8. Flyweight

I think I’m terms of what produced the best fighters, regardless of weight classes, I’d probably go with LW.

But back in the mid 2000’s LHW was easily my favorite and had some of the most ridiculous fights, especially in Pride.

I guess it depends on what means best for you…. Skills or entertainment.

Now that I thought about it a bit. I'd say LW or HW and I picked HW.

FLW/BW/FW are faster paced but in practice, I think Lightweight has been the most entertaining. We've had Conor vs Khabib, Conor vs Alvarez, Chandler vs Oliveira, Islam vs Oliveira, Islam vs Volkanovski, etc

LWs tend to have more interesting personalities imo, Conor and Khabib were like movie character foes but even better than fiction, Islam with his "black belt? Who give him?", Oliveira with his favela background, Poirier the Louisiana street fighter, etc etc

I'm not talking about currently, but over the course of the past 30 years (including PRIDE/Strikeforce), what would you say has been the most talent-loaded/exciting division in MMA?

In my opinion:
1. Light heavyweight
2. Welterweight
3. Heavyweight
4. Lightweight
5. Featherweight
6. Middleweight
7. Bantamweight
8. Flyweight

The best anticipated fights people would talk about were in LHW through out the ages. But...HW during the early days but allot of them should have fought lighter...HW in Pride was amazing...at that time UFC HW was dead too...but pride had amazing fighters at that time too...Pride had great MW, LHW, and HW...but in the UFC...at Prides time, LHW was the biggest, WW was picking up with the transition form Hughes to GSP...BJ Penn at LW was a beast.....but Pride was more interesting at that time...

UFC took in those Pride fighters and all of the sudden UFC got interesting...go figure lol.

Now, today, I like the lighter divisions...thats currently more interesting...So the WW and Under cause the skill set is so high with power no like the LHW's and up......its just the current time...it changes...new people will come in and change it for each division. ...but overall LHW imo will always be the best division.

Lightweight , so many great confrontations

The best anticipated fights people would talk about were in LHW imo through out the ages. But...HW during the early days but allot of them should have fought lighter...

Now, I like the lighter divisions...thats currently more interesting...the WW and Under cause the skill set is so high ...its just the time...it changes...new people will come in and change it for each division. ...but overall LHW.
Yep

LHW was the best all throughout PRIDE/Tapout UFC era

How quickly they forget...

HW over 30 yrs for me. So many amazing matches and high drama. Fedor's godly reign. Cain/JDS rivalry,Brocktoberfest. Couture Crocop Nog etc

Any fuckin nerd who says HW was historically weak BAM i slug em right in the cock.

Gane,Aspinal and Pavs can do some sheeeeeit

LHW and LW also

I was torn between LW and LHW. Eventually went for the weight class with names like Machida, Rampage, Couture, Liddell, Shogun, Ortiz, Jones, Cormier and Belfort

Rogan says Everyweight has had GOAT level fighters approx every other Champ, there is your answer.

LW was pretty bad during the Penn era. However, it improved significantly with the WEC merger and has been the most consistent division since then, so Ill go with the LW division. WW division is a close second.

Last edited:
Heavyweight is the only division that really matters. And it has still been the best even if you look at things through the 'P4P' lens.

No fight build has compared to Fedor vs Cro Cop. It was the two biggest killers the sport (not 'P4P killers') had seen fighting in their prime.

And Heavyweight gets to claim all of the early UFCs and most of the early Pride fights. Randy, Nog, Lesnar, Velasquez, Francis, Cormier, Jones etc., all provided later highlights.

LW is 'P4P' next. That's the division best suited to (athletic) average sized men, so you are going to have the deepest talent pool.

Only thing I'd change in OP is MW for FW swap. Other than that spot on imo.

Back