Cain Velasquez Trial for Attempted Murder Expected to Begin in January

Verdict

• Total voters
View attachment 1003956

After multiple delays, there is a tentative timeline in place to begin Cain Velasquez’s trial for attempted murder.

During a pre-trial hearing on Wednesday at Santa Clara County (Calif.) Hall of Justice, Judge Daniel T. Nishagaya extended the trial setting date to Dec. 6. This was done on the condition that a trial date would be set for sometime in January at the next hearing.

“I am willing to give this another setting date with the understanding that I will be intending to set a trial date in the middle to later part of January on Dec. 6,” Nishagaya told the defense and prosecution.

The trial setting date has been extended multiple times since January. The former UFC heavyweight champion was not in attendance on Wednesday.

Velasquez is facing attempted murder and other charges after allegedy chasing and shooting at Harry Goularte, who has been accused of molesting Velasquez’s young son. During a high-speed chase, Velasquez fired at the vehicle containing Goularte and allegedly hit and injured his stepfather, Paul Bender. Velasquez has pleaded not guilty to the charges. If found guilty, he faces 20 years to life in prison.

Velasquez was released on released on $1 million bail in November after spending eight months in a holding facility. He remains under GPS surveillance and cannot leave his home without the court’s permission.

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/C...ed-Murder-Expected-to-Begin-in-January-191207

Can't they extend the date to 2046?

I don't know if it's changed but he was initially charged with 10 felonies which included the attempted murder. I don't have high hopes for his chances but I hope he can get a light sentence.

I don’t really know much about what Cain did wrong. I ain’t no lawyer, and I ain’t no judge. But I tell you one thing, his fights with JDS are some of my favorite memories in the ufc possibly ever.

and I heard bald is making a comeback

What a travesty.

I think I can understand Cain's state of mind here...family member molested supposedly over 100 times at a day care by a child molester living at said day care. Child molester is out free in public.

I mean I would probably want to do the same thing. But you just can't do what he did. He endangered others. It would appear he is guilty of a crime or crimes.

The problem I have is that it appears California seems to allow illegals or criminals get away with damn near anything. Illegals are safe there...you can now if you are so lucky, go to jail or get fined for trying to stop a criminal stealing or bashing an employee of that store.

If I were judge, I would make Cain pay for the step father's medical bills and lost pay if he couldn't work, put him on probation for a bit and call it a day. But California will probably look to punish him.

Cain did what he had to do, but here in this country we don't allow vigilante justice. It would be chaos if every person accused of a crime (remember this other guy had NOT BEEN CONVICTED YET) could be hunted down and shot at in public.

What Cain did was just as irresponsible as the other guy. Cain put many many innocent lives at risk of injury or death.

Do I blame him? Not 1 single bit I might have done the same.
Is he guilty? Very clearly yes. He attempted to kill this alledged pedo.
Both statements can be true.

Also....clearly premeditated. He had a lot of time to stop his actions and didn't. It wasn't like he saw the dude drive by and fired a few shots. He deliberately went after him with a gun.

In the eyes of American law, he’s very guilty.

In the eyes of fathers, men, anyone normal, Cain did the right thing without a shadow of doubt.

True catch 22 here.
100%

Though Cain should have cornered him and beat him down. He's going to get in a TON of trouble by California law by firing from a moving vehicle into another moving vehicle. That's going to be his downfall. There is no doubt he did that. Maybe won't get attempted murder but he's in for some jail time due to firing into a vehicle.

PC 246 says: “Anyone who maliciously and willfully discharges a firearm at an inhabited dwelling house, occupied building, motor vehicle, aircraft, house car defined under Vehicle Code 362 VC, inhabited camper defined under Vehicle Code 243 VC, is guilty of a felony and punishable by three, five, or seven years in state prison, or not less than six months in county jail.”

Cain put everyone at risk with his actions.

not going to be a popular opinion, but me think he is going to the big casa

Last edited:
Question.....for those saying Innocent are you saying innocent of ALL CHARGES? Or just innocent of attempted murder? I'm really curious about that.

Maybe OP could add the option "guilty of something but innocent of attempted murder"?

Sort of sums it up.

Not really up on criminal law; but could this be considered temporary insanity?
Is that even still a thing?

There's that.
At the same time, the presumed extreme emotional state which would be highly unlikely to be reproduced; because what're the odds? (Please no one try to answer that!)
Extreme emotional response should be an element the judge considers in sentencing

The charge carries up to 20 years, with the factors worked in he probably deserves 3-5 so that it’s not a slap on the wrist but not the rest of his life tossed away

I mean, he’s probably going to be convicted. I say that without knowing the finer details and elements of whatever state law he’s charged under.

Jury nullification is real though. And if you ever had a situation where people would look the other way so to speak, this is it.

This is ongoing so perhaps that is a for sure trial date but I’ve got to imagine they are trying to work something out. He’s already got a lot of time served that he will be credited for. Maybe he takes a deal and does minimal time.

View attachment 1003956

After multiple delays, there is a tentative timeline in place to begin Cain Velasquez’s trial for attempted murder.

During a pre-trial hearing on Wednesday at Santa Clara County (Calif.) Hall of Justice, Judge Daniel T. Nishagaya extended the trial setting date to Dec. 6. This was done on the condition that a trial date would be set for sometime in January at the next hearing.

“I am willing to give this another setting date with the understanding that I will be intending to set a trial date in the middle to later part of January on Dec. 6,” Nishagaya told the defense and prosecution.

The trial setting date has been extended multiple times since January. The former UFC heavyweight champion was not in attendance on Wednesday.

Velasquez is facing attempted murder and other charges after allegedy chasing and shooting at Harry Goularte, who has been accused of molesting Velasquez’s young son. During a high-speed chase, Velasquez fired at the vehicle containing Goularte and allegedly hit and injured his stepfather, Paul Bender. Velasquez has pleaded not guilty to the charges. If found guilty, he faces 20 years to life in prison.

Velasquez was released on released on $1 million bail in November after spending eight months in a holding facility. He remains under GPS surveillance and cannot leave his home without the court’s permission.

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/C...ed-Murder-Expected-to-Begin-in-January-191207

not-guilty.gif

Back