• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social The destruction of critical thinking in higher education

Are institutes of higher education declining in their ability to teach critical thinking?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Religious interpretation has changed quiet frequently to keep up with the modern times. Religion is often about functionality than absolute truth. I think history has shown that with how much religious interpretation constantly evolves to keep up with science/social changes.
That may or may not be, my understanding of the history of religious interpretation is certainly not as strong as my understanding of legal studies. But nowhere in my understanding has religious interpretation ever presented as a tool to persuade God to see things your way. Whereas legal scholarship is about how to convince "God", ie the judge to see things your way. Even when the legal analysis is simply guidance to a business owning client, it's still presented around the question: If we ever have to justify our actions, can we do so persuasively?

And that is largely because the practice of law is adversarial in the US. Whether it's criminal or civil, the question is always "can we win a fight over this subject?" underscored by "How much of a risk of losing are you willing to entertain?"

I would hope that religious interpretation aims to give their adherents significantly more certainty and direction than that. And to remove the "How much are you willing to risk?" element from the guidance they provide. But, like I said, not an area I'm super familiar with.

Spoken like a true Bolshevik.
Pretty sure he identified as a conservative.
Anyone who steers slightly off the path is a commie.
I have a degree and have taken part in multiple scientific studies.

You lack an understanding of how the world works.
Sure man, keep questioning if the earth is round and knowing Bigfoot is out there chillin.

Sure man, keep questioning if the earth is round and knowing Bigfoot is out there chillin.

200w.gif

Yeah you kinda shifted the goalpost a bit.

Again, why is Ben Shapiro even debating students on this issue? Because he can frame his points against this exact kind of rhetoric and look the way you are saying he looks. I think someone like Bassam Yousif or Ahmed Alnouaq would be more appropriate for genuine discussion on the subject. Ahmed lost 23 members of his Family and is a media trained, articulate, and was on Good Morning Britain to speak about this subject. Ben Shapiro isnt interested in genuine discourse, he's interested in appearing correct. Piers Morgan is more genuine than he is.

Shapiro didnt create a logical fallacy, all he did was ask a question the student may not have been equipped to answer. I could have answered it, so could numerous posters here who have already answered it. He's just fine with killing civilians in this context and even that's something a younger person might pause at.
I'm sure you would wipe the floor with Shapiro in a debate, right? Just stop dude, you can barely hold your own virtually defending liberal talking points on a left-leaning board like this - and you have the gall to criticize Shapiro as if you're somehow better equipped than these idiot college kids. If anything, they probably did better than you ever would.

Shapiro is interested in "appearing correct" - and you aren't? As always, your posts are dripping with hypocrisy.

Remember Ben Shapiro versus old English dude?

Shapiro isn't an honest intellect, he's a media personality. He cherry picks information to support his theses (no matter how small or out the curve) and disregards/ignores information that goes against them.

On original thread topic, I think there is something to be said about a push towards anti-enlightenment ideals that's en vogue as of late that I very much dislike. But I don't need people who watch a TV show to tailor their views and talking points and the show goes to court for its lies and uses for a "legal defense" that "it's so obvious we are lying nobody should ever take us serious" are the ones complaining about a lack of critical thinking in higher education.

Last edited:
I'm sure you would wipe the floor with Shapiro in a debate, right? Just stop dude, you can barely hold your own virtually defending liberal talking points on a left-leaning board like this - and you have the gall to criticize Shapiro as if you're somehow better equipped than these idiot college kids. If anything, they probably did better than you ever would.

Shapiro is interested in "appearing correct" - and you aren't? As always, your posts are dripping with hypocrisy.
Honestly.

I'm not even the biggest Shapiro fan, but I do find it hilarious when people bring up his debates with college kids as if to suggest they would do any better.

Ben is smart enough to trick viewers by omitting clear facts. He does it in such a way where you come to a different conclusion than you should. It’s very sneaky since he is very educated on the topic and is definitely lying by omission on purpose.

this forum is left leaning? What are you smoking lol? This is as about as right leaning as you will get outside of rumble/truth social/etc

I swear people just say the most outlandish things as facts on this forum and move on like nothing

A nuclear first strike is absolutely an act of War, the President cannot order that. However only the President can order a Nuclear strike. DoD nor Congress have any veto power.

The Cabinet can shut it down. There is a check, but not from another branch of government.

this forum is left leaning? What are you smoking lol? This is as about as right leaning as you will get outside of rumble/truth social/etc

I swear people just say the most outlandish things as facts on this forum and move on like nothing

It's critical thinking. A MMA website (yes, MMA fans are notoriously left leaning) where people vote Trump GOAT President of all Time is left leaning!

Lost me at theology.
Don't be so obtuse bro. We're all adults here. You must understand theology to understand history and the world at large. That doesn't mean you have believe in a God. Every person interested in history of the world should study comparative religion.

Oh no!!! You called me a Bolshevik and not a Menshevik (I'm neither but that's beside the point). I guess you're one of those people who think that implying "communism" is an actual argument in and of itself...how apropos of a thread related to the destruction of critical thinking, lol.
Your resentment for tradition reminded me of Gorky's writing. That's why I called you a Bolshevik.

Pretty sure he identified as a conservative.
Anyone who steers slightly off the path is a commie.

What does it matter what he indentified as?

Is it declining? It's been a steady decline for several decades to the point where critical thinking has been weeded out. It doesn't exist. They won. It's over.

Honestly.

I'm not even the biggest Shapiro fan, but I do find it hilarious when people bring up his debates with college kids as if to suggest they would do any better.

That criticism always tends to remain in vague territory. You pretty much never see a leftist try to debate the specifics of a point Shapiro has made. They just don't like him. Shapiro has gotten into plenty of debates with people more qualified than college kids as well.

The Cabinet can shut it down. There is a check, but not from another branch of government.

I don’t believe that is true. I was under the impression that there was some checks and balances to the decision. Everything I have read basically say the president has the sole authority and no one has veto. The SOD has to confirm it but doesn’t have veto power. It seems the checks are just to be sure that it’s wasn’t made in error.

Here’s a op-ed that was written about changing it.
https://www.armscontrol.org/act/202...nch-authority-too-big-decision-just-president

Back