Just started rewatching The Wire again - Forgot how GOAT tier it is!

The Sopranos vs The Wre

• The Sopranos

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • The Wire

Votes: 37 69.8%
  • I simply cannot decide and am going to take the easy way out and not pick one

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters
Watched season one very recently. Will not be watching any more...

It eventually picked up but was slow. Very mediocre writing with heavy handed metaphors and some less than stellar acting... There were some exceptions and moments of good character design, acting and writing but imo it was overrated.

Never been a huge the wire fan. Other than rhe Omar episodes with him being a gay Gangster badass lol and the Stringer parts. I know that's blasphemy here I think <FutbolThink>

I've never seen The Shield. I keep hearing how amazing it is but it doesn't seem to interest me b/c of the main actor.
It's pretty good basically a story about a corrupt Police strike team.

Its pretty one dimensional but does it well. Nothing like the layer cake that is the Wire

never seen it. i tried once but found it meh during ep 1, may look into it again.

I would give up. Season 1 is good. Season 2 is one of the worst seasons I've ever seen for a show rated so highly. The rest of the show is ok but the gay hood boogey man was so stupid I can't believe they kept it in the show.
I like season 2. But I'm into reading about true crime and union corruption so that stuff wasn't boring to me. It was compelling.

Season 3 and the behind the scenes comstat meetings and politics were fantastic

Overall I am huge interested in mafia stuff so I'm biased to sopranos. But I can flip flop occasionally to say I like the wire better.

I like season 2. But I'm into reading about true crime and union corruption so that stuff wasn't boring to me. It was compelling.

Season 3 and the behind the scenes comstat meetings and politics were fantastic

Overall I am huge interested in mafia stuff so I'm biased to sopranos. But I can flip flop occasionally to say I like the wire better.
that's the funny part
the wire is the better mafia show
it talks bout the rise and fall of a criminal empire that has wound itself through an entire part of town with corruption and violence
compelling police work
hits
etc..

the sopranos is amazing but a lot of the crime stuff just happens and has little to no investigation work etc.. compared to the wire (still way above 99% of other shows )
the sopranos is a family drama
the wire is true crime

It's pretty good basically a story about a corrupt Police strike team.

Its pretty one dimensional but does it well. Nothing like the layer cake that is the Wire
Two different flavors:

Wire is more grounded in reality but reality is boring sometimes, and not always the best TV

The Shield isn't totally unrealistic, but it pushes it, but that's what keeps it exciting.

Both are great top tier shows. Better than Sopranos or Breaking Bad, IMO.

Shield edges it out for me, but I can respect someone who put Wire above it.

I tried to watch The Wire on two separate occasions. Never made it past the first few episodes. It didn't do anything for me, don't see why people think it's good.

Loved the Wire but never liked the acting of the main character

The 'fuck...' scene in Season One is one of the greatest scenes in the show lol.

Even with scenes like this, what makes The Wire so special can only fully be appreciated when you've seen the whole show. I can't think of any other series that bring all the pieces together as well as it does. There is also so much mythos and complexity to the whole thing and while some parts are indeed a bit fantastical, the setting and dialogue is spot on. Which makes sense considering who wrote it and how many of the actors came from similar backgrounds. It's without a doubt of one the best written shows, if not the best, ever.

PS: Bubble's arc is amazing.

Yep. I recently began watching it again too. In fact, I am watching it right now.
If it’s between The Wire and The Sopranos, I’ll take The Wire by a narrow margin.

Star Trek DS9 is still my favorite show of all time though.

The wire is the goat.
I love the Wire but season 5 has some huge flaws that make it difficult for me to rate the entire show as goat. Others are more consistent. In S5 Simon forced his profession into the show and diminished it by doing that. Wasnt organic and in sync with the rest at all. He butchered McNulty completely to get his interaction with the press. It still had great angles like the political development but all in all S wasnt a masterpiece.

The Wire is always a masterpiece when Simon just describes what he whitnessed in a creative way. As soon as he gets preachy about his political views or profession it looses a lot. Was even more obvious in the books.

I you enjoy the wire watch "the corner". Fantastic junkie portrayal and foundation for the wire.

This is a karate forum. The only poll you can trust is in the fight discussion threads. Outside of those threads, sherdoggers would rather have Putin as a leader than Trudeau. Now the wire over sopranos? Rubbish.

Great show. Some of the best moments and characters in all of TV.

There was, however, one season of the Wire that was a chore to watch.

The Sopranos had ups and downs, but it never got as bad as that one season of The Wire. It also didn’t didn’t hit the highs that The Wire did, so it’s tough to say which is better overall.

Great show until S4.

literally just finished watching it for the first time about a month ago- great show- didn’t want it to end- that said, since there’s a poll, my vote goes to sopranos- loved the wire, just loved soprano’s more

that's the funny part
the wire is the better mafia show
it talks bout the rise and fall of a criminal empire that has wound itself through an entire part of town with corruption and violence
compelling police work
hits
etc..

the sopranos is amazing but a lot of the crime stuff just happens and has little to no investigation work etc.. compared to the wire (still way above 99% of other shows )
the sopranos is a family drama
the wire is true crime
Nothing about the wire deals with the mafia.

Organized crime and gangster stuff? Yes. Mafia and wiseguys no. The mafia/Cosa Nostra is strictly Italian

Back