Social Boomers proving once again why they are the most selfish generation in history - they don't even care about their grandkids

Take a look around, you think the world hasn't changed? You think most kids these days are gonna put their tech away to pick vegetables? There have always been generational gaps to overcome but the rapid advancement of tech has exacerbated it.

In the past, it was often an enjoyable experience for both the kids and the grandparents. Now, busy parents shove an ipad in the kids faces to keep them entertained. The kids get hooked on the tech, and sulk or act out when told to put it away. And you think grandparents want those kids dumped on them to either stare at their screen or pout because they're told they can't?

There are exceptions of course. And I'd imagine most of the grandparents still willing or even eager to help are the ones who's kids are raising THEIR kids to stay engaged and not detach into the online world or nonstop video games.
We grabbed a pizza from a local place recently, and there was a kid (maybe 8 years old or so) there with his grandma. That kid stared at his screen watching something the whole time we waited. I legit don't think the kid said anything, just stuffed his face and watched something in public. It made me so sad for the grandma because I remember hanging with my grandma and she was just the best. The woman just wanted to be around her grandson and this is just the way it is and how she has to do it now.

I agree though, the OP article is entitled as fuck. My parents can't wait to meet their soon to be granddaughter but I don't expect their 72 year old asses to help me out at all

I wish my parents lived into old age and had the money & health to travel and enjoy themselves. My 'selfish' boomer dad grew up in poverty and worked himself up to owning a home.

My dad died relatively young so it's now me subsidizing my mother financially as she's disabled (I effectively run 2 houses)

So yeah...whining millennials can go fuck themselves

Fuck off with that sense of entitlement. Your parents worked their life away, let them enjoy it now that you moved out as opposed to being your on call babysitter.
Such a healthy outlook on familial relations and society. I'm sure brain broken boomers abandoning their grandchildren and being unwilling to help with childcare, while they themselves got childcare help from their parents, will have absolutely no negative social effects on society.

Fuck you, I got mine. Consume consume consume baby. Fuck big healthy loving family units consisting of multiple generations coming together and making it all work. Fuck you, I got mine. It's all about me baby. Fuck you, I got mine. The mantra of the worst generation to ever walk this planet.

Boomers:

Benefited from a state funded college education, getting their degrees for free or nearly free - then they defunded colleges and exploded tuition costs and saddled young people with trillions in debt.

Got endless help raising their children from their parents who believed family was everything - then they turned around and abandoned their grandchildren for the jetsetting life, even though the relative costs of childcare are 10x higher for the millennial parent, and the impact of a boomer parent helping with that is FAR greater than the impact their parents had on them, when the boomer parents could get daycare for their children for a penny and a handful of sunflower seeds.

Boomers benefitted from the mass manufacturing of houses, providing them extremely cheap and abundant housing choices - then they turned around and used government and their statuses as homeowners to shut down new construction of homes and exploded the costs of housing to an insane country and generation ruining level.

Fuck you, I got mine!

Boomers really are just the most disgusting and wicked generation in the history of mankind.

That entitlement shining through. Mom and Dad should be chastised, but not for any of the reasons assumed in the OP.

Clearly missed instilling a few key elements in their children.

That entitlement shining through. Mom and Dad should be chastised, but not for any of the reasons assumed in the OP.

Clearly missed instilling a few key elements in their children.

You don't see a problem with them being the only generation to do this?

They had their kids looked after by their parents like every single generation before them. That is the point of family. They help each other out and it is a role most grandparents should love. My grandparents loved taking care of me and even came to my house without calling to take me places. The problem raised in the article is that boomers are the first generation to stop doing this. They are also the first generation to make the future worse for their kids. They are without a doubt the most selfish generation in existence.

Boomers are spending far more money on travelling than their parents did - leaving their own millennial kids without childcare as they jet off on vacations.

Psychologist and millennial mother Leslie Dobson, 40, said she wishes her dad Ted Dobson, 71, was around to spend more time with her sisters and his grandchildren.

But Dobson's dad is busy enjoying retirement on his boat in Mexico, he said 'I haven't spent a nickel less on my kids. I just spent some on me.'

The Los Angeles psychologist said that she wasn't alone in feeling disappointed by her father - and that many of her millennial clients are facing the same feelings of abandonment and resentment towards their parents.

Millennials are having children later in life - and many modern households include two working parents.

Boomers are leaving their millennial children to handle the childcare of their grandchildren while they jet off on vacations - like Ted Dobson, 71, in this picture who moved to Mexico after retiring and bought a boat

Boomers are leaving their millennial children to handle the childcare of their grandchildren while they jet off on vacations - like Ted Dobson, 71, in this picture who moved to Mexico after retiring and bought a boat.

Even though the boomer parents - born between 1946 and 1964 - are mostly retired by the time they need them to step in for childcare, members of the older generation are jetting off on vacations instead instead of lending a helping hand.

Bank of America analyzed consumer-spending habits and found that, not only are boomers outspending other generation on travel and dining out - they are also spending far more on their travels than their own parents in the silent generation.

Dobson told Business Insider: 'It is a really common struggle. You have children, and it feels even more like an abandonment that they've chosen their life over meeting their grandchildren and building these relationships.'

She described the phase as a three-fourth life crisis in which boomers realize that their life is almost over and frantically want to make the most of it.

Ted Dobson's three-fourth life crisis involved uprooting his life in California after working there as a businessman and fleeing to Mexico - where he bought a boat and lives in a luxury community.

The younger Dobson said her father 'feels like this is the right choice' - but admitted the decision has upset her and her sisters, who are now raising their own children and envisioned having a grandfather around to dote on their kids.

But the retired businessman insists that even though he's now enjoying his dream lifestyle of boating and pickleball - he still did plenty to help kids kids out with financial support.

'They've all got nannies,' he said. 'We didn't have a damn nanny. They drive expensive SUVs. I drove a fricking minivan.'

The 71-year-old said the last time he went to visit his kids in the U.S. they couldn't squeeze him into their busy schedule.

'Life revolves around the children, and you're either on board or you're not,' he said.

Another millennial facing similar rejection from her mother is Kristjana Hillberg - who grew up always having her grandmother around for childcare whenever her parents took a trip or needed help.

Hillberg, 33, told Business Insider: 'If Mom and Dad ran out of town, we were at Grandma's. Grandma wasn't going anywhere, and we always knew that.'

The mom-of-three doesn't receive the same help from her parents - especially at short notice and only on their terms.

'We have to make sure that we are asking months in advance,' she said - adding that her parents 'own travel plans' also needed to be accounted for in childcare arrangements.

Another millennial facing similar rejection from her mother is Kristjana Hillberg - who grew up always having her grandmother around for childcare whenever her parents took a trip or needed help

Another millennial facing similar rejection from her mother is Kristjana Hillberg - who grew up always having her grandmother around for childcare whenever her parents took a trip or needed help
Hillberg said it's especially hard to recruit her 61-year-old mother Nella Hanson for babysitting duty after she remarried in February.

Hanson was 'a saint' before her recent wedding, according to Hillberg - who said her mother was always on hand to watch her daughter.

The newlywed turned down Hillberg's recent request to watch her three young children while she went on a girls vacation to Costa Rice with her friends.

'I thought it would be a shoo-in and she would automatically come and watch the kids,' she said. 'But she said, 'I recently married, and I don't want to leave for seven days.''

'Watching your mom find love at 60 is overwhelming… in a good way.' Hillburg said. 'She took us everywhere alone when we were kids. My dad was always working. All of my memories are of her.'

Hanson said she understood that her daughter was put out by her lack of availability - and said she adores her grandchildren - but it was the "right time" to put herself and her new husband first.

While boomers - who own more than $78 trillion in assets - have been living life to the fullest in their later years, childcare has been steadily and steeply inclining.

Recent data shows that the average family was spending $700 a month on daycare - which is 32 percent more than what was being spent in 2019. The cost of childcare has tripled since 1991.

Seriously, how old are you?

It’s fucking embarrassing to see millensilals and younger adults constantly complain about everything.

They've all got nannies,' he said. 'We didn't have a damn nanny. They drive expensive SUVs. I drove a fricking minivan.'

Lol… fuck these kids. Nannies??

I’m thinking Grandpa ditched these entitled shitheads.

They had their kids looked after by their parents like every single generation before them. That is the point of family. They help each other out and it is a role most grandparents should love. My grandparents loved taking care of me and even came to my house without calling to take me places. The problem raised in the article is that boomers are the first generation to stop doing this. They are also the first generation to make the future worse for their kids. They are without a doubt the most selfish generation in existence.
I think you have a retarded understanding of history bud. This is only an 80 year time span. This shit just kicked off after 1950. "They're the only" is ludicrous. And the sweeping generalizations are also nonsensical. My folks are "boomers" and did everything you'd hope from your perspective. That's fantastic and I'm certainly not complaining. I'm very grateful to my parents for everything they've done for me and my own family. I will aim to do the same for my kids. But this should never become an expected entitlement. People are free to live and explore their lives as they see fit. They took you to a level of capability and you should be able to handle the ship.

Your complaint is inherently against capitalism and a longing for a return to more communal forms of child raising.

This is not true at all.

Maybe some are, but it’s definitely not what I see here.

Many of my friends and older friends are grandparents. Most of us are still working (I’m older GexX at 50)

I don’t see any of them ditching their grandkids. In fact it’s the opposite.

What you’re citing is an upper crust example. This is not common at all among middle and lower class.

Clickbait trash that you fell for

I'm getting confused here ... So what you are saying is that you aren't even muslim but just a lefty zoomer ?

Some king of hybrid maybe ? Tik tok convert from the Gaza war ?

Last edited:
We don't expect Millennials to stick around the family farm or business; giving up their free time and desires because it's what their parents did.

Why the hell would we expect the Boomer parents to stick around patiently waiting to be on-call daycare?

Your kids, your responsibility. I think Grandparents should be involved but screw expecting them to be there at your beck and call and once again focus primarily on your wants and needs. That's what's selfish in this situation, not Grandparents enjoying retirement and old age.

Shit, I know plenty of Gen X and "Boomer" grandparents that put their grandkids on the bus and / or get them off of the bus plus watch them quite often so it's not like the article is the norm by any means.

Last edited:
I don't think you should be forced to help bring up your grandkids but I also don't think you should be taken seriously when you complain about the erosion of traditional family values if you choose not to either.

Boomers:

Benefited from a state funded college education, getting their degrees for free or nearly free - then they defunded colleges and exploded tuition costs and saddled young people with trillions in debt.

Got endless help raising their children from their parents who believed family was everything - then they turned around and abandoned their grandchildren for the jetsetting life, even though the relative costs of childcare are 10x higher for the millennial parent, and the impact of a boomer parent helping with that is FAR greater than the impact their parents had on them, when the boomer parents could get daycare for their children for a penny and a handful of sunflower seeds.

Boomers benefitted from the mass manufacturing of houses, providing them extremely cheap and abundant housing choices - then they turned around and used government and their statuses as homeowners to shut down new construction of homes and exploded the costs of housing to an insane country and generation ruining level.

Fuck you, I got mine!

Boomers really are just the most disgusting and wicked generation in the history of mankind.

I totally agree

But this article found the worst people possible to make their case and they do sound like bitches.

But it's also a bit more complex. It's not just grandparents don't help .... families don't really stuck together and support each other like they used to. I'd like to say it's boomers and our system but other countries that do have maternity leave and social programs and healthcare don't breed anymore either.

I totally agree

But this article found the worst people possible to make their case and they do sound like bitches.

But it's also a bit more complex. It's not just grandparents don't help .... families don't really stuck together and support each other like they used to. I'd like to say it's boomers and our system but other countries that do have maternity leave and social programs and healthcare don't breed anymore either.

It's a lot to do with cost of living I think. There's a lot of people I know who don't have kids because they don't think they can afford them.

I don't think you should be forced to help bring up your grandkids but I also don't think you should be taken seriously when you complain about the erosion of traditional family values if you choose not to either.

Complain about immigrants too.

Forced seems the wrong word. It's like doing the right thing though and it's one of things you should automatically do without needing the reminder.

Thing boomers did is got themselves and every generation after onto a what about me I am the main character of my world kinda program ....where as before them family , duty , honor was kind of a way of life.

Forced seems the wrong word. It's like doing the right thing though and it's one of things you should automatically do without needing the reminder.

Thing boomers did is got themselves and every generation after onto a what about me I am the main character of my world kinda program ....where as before them family , duty , honor was kind of a way of life.

Agreed.

I'm actually shocked at the people in this thread who take no issue with this topic. It's one of the main factors that are driving their anger but they don't care for some reason.

Boomer generation was the beginning of the end for all the issues they complain about.

I'm getting confused here ... So what you are saying is that you aren't even muslim but just a lefty zoomer ?

Some king of hybrid maybe ? Tik tok convert from the Gaza war ?

I'm not Muslim nor religious but I have been baptized. I have leftist views but I vote financially in Australia.

Why would you think that?

Aye, it's probably unfair to tar everyone with the same brush though. My parents try to spend as much time with their grandkids as they can.

Back