Get Your Damn Teeth Cleaned!!!

shankmcgank

Beep/Boop/Bop
@Black
Reaction score
Luckily for me and our daughter, my girlfriend is a dental hygienist. Since we met, she has always stressed how important dental hygiene is for your overall health, and the dangers of dental bacteria, especially to your heart. I am thankful that my benefits through work cover a cleaning every four months instead of every six, so I get to go three times a year instead of the usual two.

We all had our pre-Christmas dental cleanings done yesterday, and today I woke up to this...

"

Former NFL wide receiver Mike Williams died of brain infections stemming from dental problems, officials say

After lots of rumors swirled surrounding how former NFL Mike Williams died, officials released an official cause of death late Thursday, while still leaving the door open for other factors.

It was initially reported on Sept. 5 that the ex-Tampa Bay Buccaneer had died after he took an accidental blow to the head at a construction site. However, days later, it was revealed he was "fighting for his life."

Williams eventually died on Sept. 12 at the age of 36, and the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner Department said he succumbed to "Bacterial Sepsis with Cerebral Abscesses and Necrotizing Lobar Pneumonia due to multiple Dental Caries and retained tooth roots."

Essentially, his brain had pus growing around it after he had severe dental problems to the point where infections spread. Initial tests showed he had brain swelling and infections.

Fox 13 Tampa also says heart disease played a role - he suffered from a cardiac arrest, as well, shortly after the construction accident that occurred back on Sept. 1."

If you are afraid of the dentist (this is normal for a lot of people), or needles in your mouth (unpleasant) they have great numbing gels and sprays now, and some offices even offer sedation such as nitrous oxide.

If you have been putting it off - please go get a cleaning and get any dental issues you may have, taken care of. They never get better on their own, and the longer you leave them, the harder it will be for them to save your tooth.

Give yourself the gift of excellent oral health!

May your gums be healthy, your teeth pearly white and cavity free.

Merry Christmas Sherbros.

Last edited:
Crazy ass way to go. From some fuckin tooth bacteria.

Good thing I had clean teeth as a kid. I had a pipe clamp and a 25lb olympic weight fall off a roof and hit me in the head on the same day.

Please change your av btw. What did we do to deserve that?

Tooth infections are legit dangerous. At worst I don't know how this guy walked around for so long with multiple infections

I was just discussing the story with my girlfriend and she said just 1 abscess can kill you.

I have absolutely no idea, based on the details in the story, how he ever managed to eat or drink. The pain must have been incredible.

Also Mike Williams' contracts paid him a guaranteed $10.5 million dollars.

"2013-2018 - Mike Williams signed a 5 year, $39,620,000 contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including $9,400,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,924,000.

2010-2013 (Entry Level) Mike Williams signed a 4 year, $2,328,250 contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including a $538,248 signing bonus, $538,248 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $582,063."

Where the heck did all this guys money go? He made a guaranteed $10.5 million MINIMUM over his playing career, ended up having to work construction, and died from tooth decay/gum disease?

Unbelievable.

Your insurance pays for 3 cleanings a year? That's awesome. Never heard of that. Mine only covers 2 but I always heard you need them every 6 months so I thought I was good.

I just had mine cleaned a few days ago. This hygienist is amazing, she cleaned it perfectly and did it with such care and precision.

Your insurance pays for 3 cleanings a year? That's awesome. Never heard of that. Mine only covers 2 but I always heard you need them every 6 months so I thought I was good.

Twice a year is just fine.

I'm not sure why my insurance covers 3 per year, as I've never asked them about it.

However my best guess would be that dental prevention costs them a lot less than restorative dental work. So, to "greedy insurance companies" this probably saves them money in the long run, by paying more up front, to avoid paying more down the road.

I was just discussing the story with my girlfriend and she said just 1 abscess can kill you.

I have absolutely no idea, based on the details in the story, how he ever managed to eat or drink. The pain must have been incredible.

"2013-2018 - Mike Williams signed a 5 year, $39,620,000 contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including $9,400,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,924,000.

2010-2013 (Entry Level) Mike Williams signed a 4 year, $2,328,250 contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including a $538,248 signing bonus, $538,248 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $582,063."

Where the heck did all this guys money go? He made a guaranteed $10.5 million MINIMUM over his playing career, ended up having to work construction, and died from tooth decay/gum disease?

Unbelievable.

Yeah dude. The pain you can get from an infection is excruciating. He must have had a fear of dental work..

Unbelievable.
Mike never played after the 2014 season. Guaranteed money contracts have performance-based requirements attached to them. Mike didn't meet them so he did not get that money.

3x a year is crazy. I do floss and fluoride rinse both twice a day and my dentist tells me I could come once a year or every 9 months if I really wanted to (barely any buildup when I go every 6 months).

She said the amount of people that actually genuinely floss regularly is rare. I remember telling my dad to floss and then smell it, you'll never not floss again. It worked, he almost threw up when he smelled it

Mike never played after the 2014 season. Guaranteed money contracts have performance-based requirements attached to them. Mike didn't meet them so he did not get that money.
No he's correct, he made the full guarantee portion of the contract. His career earning was just shy of 12 million. It was basically his rookie contract + that 9.4 guaranteed of his extension

This is interesting. How can we calculate what he earned?

I'm assuming he got paid his full entry level contract, which would be a total of $2,328,250, as he seems to have fulfilled the terms of that contract and resigned with Tampa.

He did play at least 1 year of his new contract, but it seems according to your post that he did not make his annual average salary of $7,924,000.

Do you know of a way to find out or calculate how much we would have made in 2013/2014?

I still can't believe a multi-millionaire died of tooth decay and gum disease in the year 2023 at the ripe old age of 36.

This is interesting. How can we calculate what he earned?

I'm assuming he got paid his full entry level contract, which would be a total of $2,328,250, as he seems to have fulfilled the terms of that contract and resigned with Tampa.

He did play at least 1 year of his new contract, but it seems according to your post that he did not make his annual average salary of $7,924,000.

Do you know of a way to find out or calculate how much we would have made in 2013/2014?

I still can't believe a multi-millionaire died of tooth decay and gum disease in the year 2023 at the ripe old age of 36.
He made 11.8 million total in his career. When he left Tampa he had like 4 years almost 30 million remaining on the extension but it was all base rate or roster bonuses so he wasn't owed any of it.

Back to the original point yes it is crazy that someone can make over 10 million but then be broke, be doing construction, and dying due to basic medical maintenance.

No he's correct, he made the full guarantee portion of the contract. His career earning was just shy of 12 million. It was basically his rookie contract + that 9.4 guaranteed of his extension
When Mike was traded to the Bills in 2013 they terminated his contract and he wasn't paid the money that had been guaranteed. The salary he earned from Tampa Bay in 2013 was $7,924,000 with 9.4 million guaranteed but it was not paid by TB.

When Mike was traded to the Bills in 2013 they terminated his contract and he wasn't paid the money that had been guaranteed. The salary he earned from Tampa Bay in 2013 was $7,924,000 with 9.4 million guaranteed but it was not paid by TB.
He wasn't paid the base rate but he was paid the guaranteed portion minus a small workout bonus. They paid him 8.2 million cash that final year plus that final year of his rookie deal was already guaranteed so that's where they got majority of the "9.4 million guranteed".

giphy.gif

Back