UFC/MMA hype is gone

Join date checks out lol....ull be okay bro

join date does not equal when someone started watching.

by your logic dana white is an absolute beginner because he never registered for a sherdog account

>- khamzat chimaev exposed by 12-days-notice usman
The first round was arguably a 10-8 round. I don't see how Usman exposed him in this fight. Gilbert Burns made him look worse.

his cardio and striking was exposed, not his wrestling

It's lost some of its magic and ruggedness for sure. Feels very "mainstream", and "commercial". Some great fights still happen obviously but I miss the early days.

by your logic dana white is an absolute beginner because he never registered for a sherdog account
Dana White is not an MMA fan

MMA isn't your thing. Just watch something else and you'll feel better.

Last edited:
Back in the early days, there were less fighters on the roster, so it was easier to remember them & they stood out more. Also, you had to wait longer for each event, so I appreciated them more as had to hang out longer.

you've been watching that long, but you left out like a hundred other "hype trains" that died before the ones you listed even existed. this is just something that happens from time to time. often new hype trains emerge when older ones fade out.

that said, i do notice a little bit of malaise where people seem less interested in new contenders. it seems like it's harder for newer fighters to become stars simply by being in the ufc and winning. idk why, because mma overall is growing. it could be a generational thing—people who have been watching for 20 years have seen many "cycles" of competition, and they're just not as excited as they used to be. it could also be the amount of marketing that saturates peoples' lives has made them less sensitive to ufc's marketing pushes. personally, i think the whole world is suffering from the same disease. so many things are happening, and things are changing so fast, that paying attention to it all becomes kind of a chore.

all the hype surrounding most fighters is gone.
and yes, i have been watching since pride days.

ufc was extremely exciting these past few years (especially during covid) because everyone wanted to know who the best fighters were.

since 2018, we've had so many fights between top fighters and we roughly know who is left standing.
in my opinion, there are 4 hyped fighters left:

- islam makhachev (maybe arman tsarukyan)
- shavkat rakhmonov (maybe leon edwards)
- alex pereira (maybe magomed ankalaev)
- jon jones (maybe tom aspinall)

list of hype that died:

- khabib retired
- mcgregor is basically retired / washed up / exposed by khabib
- tony ferguson is absolutely washed up / should retire
- dustin porier and justin gaethje exposed by charles oliveira
- charles oliveira exposed by islam makhachev
- alexander volkanovski exposed by islam makhachev
- sergei pavlovich exposed by tom aspinall
- ciryl gane exposed by jon jones
- stipe miocic is basically retired / old / exposed by ngannou
- ngannou left ufc / approaching 40
- jiri prochazka exposed by alex pereira
- israel adesanya basically retired / exposed by alex pereira
- jan blachowicz exposed by old glover texeira and alex pereira
- magomed ankalaev keeps breaking mma rules and fighting dirty
- sean strickland exposed by alex pereira
- khamzat chimaev exposed by 12-days-notice usman
- usman exposed by leon edwards... twice
- aljamain sterling and petr yan exposed by sean o'malley
- sean o'malley is a mcgregor copycat
- no one cares about 125 lb flyweights

change my mind please (or don't if you agree)

Give it 20 years and see how the landscape looks.

Well your thread certainly speaks other wise and Dana is a beginner where have you been

Last edited:
You do not feel excited about any up and coming fighters. People who pay attention to prospects do.

Don't worry, we'll tell you when to feel excited.

thanks for explaining

the only prospect i can think of right now I'm excited about is bo nickal. i'm sure there are more though

you've been watching that long, but you left out like a hundred other "hype trains" that died before the ones you listed even existed. this is just something that happens from time to time. often new hype trains emerge when older ones fade out.

that said, i do notice a little bit of malaise where people seem less interested in new contenders. it seems like it's harder for newer fighters to become stars simply by being in the ufc and winning. idk why, because mma overall is growing. it could be a generational thing—people who have been watching for 20 years have seen many "cycles" of competition, and they're just not as excited as they used to be. it could also be the amount of marketing that saturates peoples' lives has made them less sensitive to ufc's marketing pushes. personally, i think the whole world is suffering from the same disease. so many things are happening, and things are changing so fast, that paying attention to it all becomes kind of a chore.

i only included hype trains since roughly 2018. why?

because as gsp famously said, "skill level in sport always increases over time"

2018 is recent enough to see the average skill level of mma increase substantially (compared to early 2000s/2010s) due to knowledge, fight styles, etc.

if i listed every hype train since ufc 1, it would be an entire chapter in a book

Back