Economy Blackrock laying off employees from ESG division while abandoning ESG/DEI narrative's amid $4 Billion Losses

Wah wah wah. Being tall's an unfair advantage in basketball. If someone's 6'10" should we break their knees?

Being handsome is an unfair advantage with women should we scar good looking people's faces?
Stupid analogy....the point is meritocracy doesn't really exist in practical terms for most people...just like being born tall, its nothing that's earned its just the circumstance you find yourself in.

Yeah it ridiculous bullshit that has no place in business of any kind. From a profitability sake prob not a good idea to use guilt inclusion to pander to a minority of sexual and gender identity. Especially when we are a capitalist society and I can in invest and vote with my dollar.

Having said that fuck black rock and vanguard.

Stupid analogy....the point is meritocracy doesn't really exist in practical terms for most people...just like being born tall, its nothing that's earned its just the circumstance you find yourself in.

Depends on the field.

I’m in Engineering and Construction, Senior PM

It’s immediately apparent when someone has shit work ethic. Don’t give a shit about anything else.,, College grades, gender, race… etc

I only care if you can do the job. There’s a ton at stake

Picture a crane, a superintendent, foreman, 5-6 man crew… maybe a subcontractor all on standby if you fucked up or didn’t perform.

You’re talking thousands of dollars per hour being wasted. More if there rework involved

There are some jobs where crap employees can hide… maybe the company is too big or whatever. Those seem prime targets for DEI hires. Like the board of a large company. Who cares if one person on a ten person board really doesn’t know what they’re doing. They’re all profit suckers anyway.

I’ve sat in so many meetings with those boards. When I worked at Kiewit, with clients, etc… Theyre all mostly useless yes men… or women.

Like Mel said in the movie Payback. There’s alway one person who calls the shots in the end.

Last edited:
Depends on the field.

It’s immediately apparent when someone has shit work ethic. Don’t give a shit about anything else.,, College grades, gender, race… etc

Picture a crane, a superintendent, foreman, 5-6 man crew… maybe a subcontractor all on standby if you fucked up or didn’t perform.

You’re talking thousands of dollars per hour being wasted. More if there rework involved

There are some jobs where crap employees can hide… maybe the company is too big or whatever. Those seem prime targets for DEI hires. Like the board of a large company. Who cares if one person on a ten person board really doesn’t know what they’re doing. They’re all profit suckers anyway.

I’ve sat in so many meetings with those boards. When I worked at Kiewit, with clients, etc… Theyre all mostly useless yes men… or women.

Like Mel said in the movie Payback. There’s alway one person who calls the shots in the end.

Yhea, circumstances differ for different fields, from low wage high turnover to skilled high demand jobs all these things matter when considering hiring and firing practices. Disagree with dei practices as a matter of principal but regardless of the field there is usually some preference based on personal preference and prejudice, good bad or indifferent that's just the way it is. I would like to think that merit trumps all but that's just not reality. Shit gets more slanted towards cronyism and the like amongst high wage earners too.

Depends on the field.

Also some of the most successful contractors that I have known in the construction field pay bribes for contracts ....not merit but straight up bribery to gain contracts.

This has always been the case but people are trying to rewrite history with this "meritocracy" nonsense. Most positions are filled with people who are not the "best" at their job.

A lot of companies don't even want the most qualified person for the job if their personality doesn't match the company culture. Even beyond that a lot of managers don't want to hire people more gifted than them as well or people that have high ambitions. It's just so stupid to say that every company was filled with the most qualified personnel when it was only white people.

The gift of gab is a much better skill to move up in the world compared to technical ability.

This 100%.

My parents have always told me this and I have seen this behavior ever since I started working.

-When I was 24, out of small talk with the plant director he offered me an interview for a position I didn't even want.
-During my PhD, we denied this very highly qualified and experienced undergrad because of the guy's personality, which was not even bad - he was simply not the type to click with the whole crew.
-I know someone who was given a huge career opportunity out of his PhD simply because he knew the right person.
-this goes on and on.

Forcing diversity simply forces some of the hiring process to extend outside of whatever close circle may exist (whether that circle is determined by racial biases or whatever else).

Yeah... not sure why I bother replying to this, but I am curious to see what your explanation is for the complete history of Boeing incidents since 1968, which is way before people went "woke" according to modern culture.

504 incidents since 1968.

Link to Wikipedia

@Scerpi care to give a half reasonable answer to back up your theory?

Also some of the most successful contractors that I have known in the construction field pay bribes for contracts ....not merit but straight up bribery to gain contracts.

lol... its happens in some parts of construction.

I'm in Municipal work. Everything is hard bid, with public open bids, usually recorded. Most Government work has gone this way due to corrupt politicians in the past.

But you should see red flags when you hear 'Emergency Contracts' and Government gets to by-pass this process. Like what happened with our County Commissioner awarding a contract for Covid response, the possibility for corruption gets introduced.

Yes, it happens with Government Officials when they're allowed to circumvent the checks and balances.

3 Lina Hidalgo staffers indicted in connection with $11 million Harris County COVID vaccine outreach contract​

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/...arris-county-covid-vaccine-outreach-contract/

Some way, somehow... Hidalgo escaped indictment.

DEI programs work. The people that are most upset about DEI programs have been the ones who have benefited most from privilege. Gee, I wonder why????

lol... its happens in some parts of construction.

I'm in Municipal work. Everything is hard bid, with public open bids, usually recorded. Most Government work has gone this way due to corrupt politicians in the past.

But you should see red flags when you hear 'Emergency Contracts' and Government gets to by-pass this process. Like what happened with our County Commissioner awarding a contract for Covid response, the possibility for corruption gets introduced.

Yes, it happens with Government Officials when they're allowed to circumvent the checks and balances.

3 Lina Hidalgo staffers indicted in connection with $11 million Harris County COVID vaccine outreach contract​

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/...arris-county-covid-vaccine-outreach-contract/

Some way, somehow... Hidalgo escaped indictment.
Public open open bids are far from foolproof. Off the top of my head I can recall some rigging of the selection process where the preferred contractor is the only one that can fulfill terms...for example specifying that a percentage of employees have the necessary experience...but there is only one contractor that has ever worked the contract etc... never mind the cronyism and political favors....come to think of it its rampant in your field...merit might just be an afterthought.

People 7ft and above make up something like 0.000038% of the population. Women and people of color make up over half of the population in the US. It’s not a comparison unless you think only the same percentage of women and poc are capable of doing those jobs. I am not surprised someone like you would think this was some thought experiment.
I'm glad you dodged the root issue of the question. I wasn't making an argument about percentage of the population, I was making an argument that an inherently useless measurement (height in this case) would lead to worse health outcomes for the patients. I could've said 6 feet instead of 7 feet and the logic would be the same. Height has no bearing on the quality of a doctor. Something like race or gender is also a useless characteristic when it comes to being a doctor, because it has no bearing on the ability to perform a doctor's duties. So setting quotas or preferring one person over others based on a characteristic that has no impact on the job they are doing is going to result in worse care because you are simply not choosing the best person for the job.

I'm glad you dodged the root issue of the question. I wasn't making an argument about percentage of the population, I was making an argument that an inherently useless measurement (height in this case) would lead to worse health outcomes for the patients. I could've said 6 feet instead of 7 feet and the logic would be the same. Height has no bearing on the quality of a doctor. Something like race or gender is also a useless characteristic when it comes to being a doctor, because it has no bearing on the ability to perform a doctor's duties. So setting quotas or preferring one person over others based on a characteristic that has no impact on the job they are doing is going to result in worse care because you are simply not choosing the best person for the job.

Population percentages would be important though. You and many posters here are assuming companies aren’t hiring qualified applicants that fit these criteria. That’s your inherent problem.

Perfect analogy. Life isn't fair.

Population percentages would be important though. You and many posters here are assuming companies aren’t hiring qualified applicants that fit these criteria. That’s your inherent problem.
The main issue I have with DEI is that it makes the presumption that for different jobs, the entirety of the population wants all of jobs in equal proportion.

By trying to target equal representation for specific jobs across the board proportional to population representation you’re undoubtedly going to sacrifice merit.

A better goal, one that I am paid to help craft the strategy on, is if your company has a diverse set of roles try to have your employee base match the representation of the available workforce population.

Meaning, if I lived in area that was proportionally black or proportionally white it’s best to aim to not adversely impact minority populations. Not only best, but legal.

When you say “I want this specific job to match national population representation” it’s fitting a square peg in a round hole.

Public open open bids are far from foolproof. Off the top of my head I can recall some rigging of the selection process where the preferred contractor is the only one that can fulfill terms...for example specifying that a percentage of employees have the necessary experience...but there is only one contractor that has ever worked the contract etc... never mind the cronyism and political favors....come to think of it its rampant in your field...merit might just be an afterthought.

lol... I've done 25 years of Municipal Contracts (water and wastewater treatment, storm water, etc) and have never ran into this. 8 States - CA, CO, AZ, UT, KA, MS, LA, TX

Not saying it doesn't happen. But typically owners want as many contractors as possible to bid to ensure competitive bids. Cities and Counties have tight budgets... not too many want to pay millions extra because they're buddies with a contractor. In fact, I've seen several times when they've elected to not award a bid because there was only one or two contractors and the bid amount was far above the engineer estimate.

The only strict requirement for Municipal Projects is being able to provide a Bid Bond and a Performance Bond to project the owner. Yes, they'll ask for references, but even if its a new company, as long as the key employees have some experience, they'll still award as long they provided a Bid Bond and are able to supply a Payment and Performance Bond.

And the companies that provide Bonds do a thorough review of your company... To make sure the company can actually to the work and to verify the company has the financial resources as well.

Because, if a company fails to perform or goes under, the Bonding company has to step in and take over.

You're talking complete bullshit

Last edited:
The main issue I have with DEI is that it makes the presumption that for different jobs, the entirety of the population wants all of jobs in equal proportion.

By trying to target equal representation for specific jobs across the board proportional to population representation you’re undoubtedly going to sacrifice merit.

A better goal, one that I am paid to help craft the strategy on, is if your company has a diverse set of roles try to have your employee base match the representation of the available workforce population.

Meaning, if I lived in area that was proportionally black or proportionally white it’s best to aim to not adversely impact minority populations. Not only best, but legal.

When you say “I want this specific job to match national population representation” it’s fitting a square peg in a round hole.

Be careful... That's how that guy from Google got fired. For suggesting there were more men in Tech because in general, Men were more interested in Tech than Women.

Logic isn't allowed.

Back