Winter sucks.

As someone who stays inside, I take offense to that.

Well I didn't call you a douchebag, nor did I say everyone that stays in is a douchebag....only that the douchebags stay inside sir.

Agreed, I'm sick like a dog for a couple of days now. Missing out big time with my kid, a party, work and dates. Bleh.

-47F with the wind chill here last night. Slated to be -30, -22, and -15 the next 3 days. I think its fucking awesome. Winter is a time to reset. Read some books, do a puzzle, work on small projects, etc.

Fuckin hell, how do you not freeze to death?

It’s Canada, you get used to it. Layer up if you gotta go outside. As little exposed skin as possible as you can get frostbite in a few minutes if the wind is howling hard enough.

Just finished shoveling the snow around my house. You know it’s cold when you can feel your nose hairs freezing when you breathe in and the eyelashes start freezing together if your eyes are closed for more than a few seconds. But there’s also something really peaceful about the extreme cold. Not a lot of movement outside and the air feels fresher

Got all the way to January without snow this year, well here it is. Usually takes me 30 minutes to get to work. Gave myself about an hour and a half since I've been late all week.

Been driving an hour and a half and maps says I got two hours to go FML. Nobody here can drive in any kind of weather. The sheer number of accidents and crashed cars I see daily is insane
what location are you in please?

I write fiction and read books, but I don't do outdoor activities anymore during the winter. My back is a mess, so no more skiing or hockey for me.

I see winter a lot differently after going from Florida to Montana. My first few years here I fought against winter. Now I view it as a period of recharge, planning, of rest. Wiping the slate clean so to speak. Maybe it's a form of mental survival for me, but I certainly used to fight it, and paid the price over the long term.

It was to hot here over the summer. Now this winter it has been too cloudy. The temps have not been that bad though. Ive noticed the constant cloud cover seems to have people a little depressed or maybe better said less cheery.

Why are you using goofy covid lingo still?

My wife was an essential worker before Covid you silly goose.
Even in a state of emergency she has to be at work.

She has the paperwork in the truck.
I don't care about lingo, you lump.

It is literally -50 celsius, -60 with windchill here today. That's -58 farenheit, -76 with windchill. Coldest I have ever seen it.

It's every fucking year too. After the first year I was used to driving in it, but these people can't drive for shit. I passed so many wrecked cars the last three days. Including one SUV that was almost vertical in a ditch.

Meanwhile I'm out here with my 2WD camry passing all these trucks and SUVs in ditches or embedded into the guardrails LMAO
Aha ok I just seen your message that you are in Reno Nevada.
OK it makes sense now.... usual dry desert so when it rains or snows everyone just skates off the road. I lived in Northern Europe for decades and driving in rain was almost daily occurrence and snow and ice was fairly frequent in winter. We got up to 1ft of snow several times per year.

People in Northern Europe though know how to drive in rain and icy conditions. Particularly places like Sweden and Finland. Don't see too many accidents really, and this was the era BEFORE Anti-lock brakes were even heard of. Like nobody had those at all. So braking in rain and ice and snow was all down to your right foot and knowing when to come OFF the brakes to regain steering (locked front wheels of course = NO steering at all), and my mother once 360'd her car on an icy road and just kept going..... no big deal really as long as nothing coming the other way.
I raced 2-stroke karts in National Championships for 8years (all outdoors obviously) and they didn't even allow wet tires in the rain (controlled tire usage), so we all used slicks whether it was dry or wet and sometimes close to freezing temps and raining. Racing a 2-stroke kart in the pouring rain on slick tires (no tread at all, zero) with only braking to the solid rear-axle (no front brakes at all!) teaches you an awful lot about kart / car control. People new to driving in rain on slicks it would just understeer straight off the track in the corners or spin it with almost any throttle application. Oh and....no clutch either. So if you spin off, the engine instantly stalls as it's fixed-drive, single gear, no clutch, no neutral.
I actually enjoy sliding cars (a bit) on public road in the rain as long as there's nobody else around, so it's just me and my car at (very low) risk.

It is literally -50 celsius, -60 with windchill here today. That's -58 farenheit, -76 with windchill. Coldest I have ever seen it.

God damn, where do you live? I was working in the middle of nowhere a couple of hours northeast of Edmonton once and it was -62 C with the windchill, but that’s the coldest I’ve ever felt it by far. And that was in the middle of a barren prairie so there wasn’t anything blocking the wind for miles.

Last edited:
We are braving 46 degrees over here pulled out the fleece. So.cal blizzard 2024.
e36393f9-fe2e-405b-80fd-aa828c267c19.0a120d39b2c2ba8dd20a6d78d1dc2e3d.jpeg

God damn, where do you live? I was working in the middle of nowhere a couple of hours northeast of Edmonton once and it was -62 C with the windchill, but that’s the coldest I’ve ever felt it by far. And that was in the middle of a barren prairie so there wasn’t anything blocking the wind for miles.
I live in Edmonton lol

I love winter. I'm a huge introvert and make most of my money during Spring/summer and fall.

I pretty much get to hibernate from Dec to April. I do work on a lot of skills online to improve my business, but also gorge myself on entertainment. My dog loves it.

April/May are always a huge adjustments, like a completely different life of interacting with people/leaving the house regularly again. At least the weather is nicer. My dog def doesn't like this change though.

Back