I cannot see any active UFC fighter rivaling the run Jon Jones, GSP, or even Anderson Silva had.

Mystic Mac Miller

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Jon Jones became champion at the age of 24 and had a crazy run at LHW.

GSP became champion at the age of 25, lost the belt once to Serra, but then won it back and never looked back.

Anderson Silva is an outlier as he became a champ at 31 and had a crazy run.

However, the two GOATs in GSP and JBJ won their belts before their quarter-life crisis. I cannot see any active UFC star that is up and coming rivaling that.

Let see what happens between Volk an the Top-Dog on February the 17th... I can be the beginning of something awesome...

They all looked vulnerable and built their image gradually
todays champions might seem weaker but as they keep winning they will get to those leagues.

GSP became champion at the age of 25, lost the belt once to Serra, but then won it back and never looked back.

However, the two GOATs in GSP and JBJ won their belts before their quarter-life crisis. I cannot see any active UFC star that is up and coming rivaling that.
Volk was probably the guy. If he didn't come up weight and fight Islam he could've been a guy like that. I have a feeling even if he didn't move up weight to fight the best guy that he would've stayed in the division too long and eventually been taken out. He has the talent and could've had a run like Anderson but not Jones or GSP. Those guys don't fight for the same reasons as a guy like Volk. They knew how and when to get out of the sport.

Edit: I think Jones and GSP belong in a separate category than Anderson. Volk seems more like an Anderson but that remains to be seen.

862568f7-c1ce-4f90-9810-04c27a5f068f_text.gif

Leon's probably got the best chance. He's 32, so realistically he could hold the belt for 4/5 years; to be clear, I'm not saying he will. Competition aside, he has the potential to do so before age becomes a factor.

In that time, if he were to rack up another 8/9 defences, that would put him on a 20 fight unbeaten streak with 10/11 title defences. That would put him in the top 5 all time conversation for me.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think we will see Jones 15+ title fights again, because these days the fighters have zero title defenses and want a so called "superfight" and move weightclasses. No one is consistent really, the only guy is Volk who has at least some consistency.

Jones, GSP and Anderson are very special because they all were consistent for a long period, and consistency is just not in MMA. And like I said these days its even worse because they want zero title defenses and be calling for boxing with Jake Paul or a superfight. Its not a superfight though is it really when you don't even have a title defense lol

Thats another reason Fedor is so loved and one of the best ever, because he was very consistent, lets remember he was 31-0 . and the 1 loss was not real because that cut was caused by a elbow which is illegal in that MMA org, elbows were banned in that org, so it should never be a loss on the record, I don't know why fight finder has that. He was 31-0.. until he eventually got beat for real against Werdum. Fedor was consistent like Jones, GSP and Anderson

Official sherdog P4P rankings during GSP/Silva championship runs:

2012 - Silva #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-45047

2011 - Silva #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-36383

2010 - Silva #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-23166

2009 - Silva #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-17145

2008 - Silva #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/GSP-Moves-Up-P4P-List-But-Not-to-Top-12459

<DCWhoa>

You forgot about Aldo and specially Might Mouse btw

When did Jones ever look vulnerable?
You remember he was called chicken legs by all the roster until he prove to be much better.
He was not favourite within Forum against
Bader shogun and rampage
After these he became unbeatable in the eyes of many except cops and judges

Last edited:
Thats another reason Fedor is so loved and one of the best ever, because he was very consistent, lets remember he was 31-0 . and the 1 loss was not real because that cut was caused by a elbow which is illegal in that MMA org, elbows were banned in that org, so it should never be a loss on the record, I don't know why fight finder has that. He was 31-0.. until he eventually got beat for real against Werdum. Fedor was consistent like Jones, GSP and Anderson
It was a legit loss as it was a tournament, not a regular fight. Someone had to advance to the next round and it sure as fuck wasn't the guy who couldn't medically fight anymore, illegal blow or not.

Don't fight in tournaments if you don't want the extra stipulations that entails.

It's wild to see the revisionist history. I remember during their runs Silva was widely considered the best. He has more title defences, still has the longest win streak in UFC history and has a crazy amount of insane finishes.

Suddenly because he lost a few fights at the tail end of his career people pretend the rest of his career never happened. It's crazy.

When did Jones ever look vulnerable?
Vitor almost broke his arm, Machida rocked him and was beating him to the punch for a round and a half before Jones took him down and opened up a bad cut, he looked like the elephant man after the first Gus fight, Santos blew out his knee and it was still a split decision, the majority of media scorers thought he lost to Reyes.

I mean, The Greatest Ever doesn't come around every couple of years...

Back