One judge gave Whitaker round 1

And here's Whitaker going back to his corner

And heres judge Mike Bell figures that's the round 1 winner right there

Fuck ufc judging has, and always will be, a joke
It's not debunked
If you polled it I can tell ya most peeps give Costa round 1 easily. So my points stands
No buddy, your OP, as quoted showed you thought Whitaker was wobbly going back to his corner. Clearly debunked. Watch the vid: strong combos, fully recovered

Debunked.

Giving Whitaker that round isn't crazy. That heel kick barely staggered him. If it knocked rob down or had rob wobbling back to his stool like a drunk, then okay, but all it did was make rob take a shaky step for one second before rob was throwing combos right back.

It's 1 strike (without a knockdown) vs an entire round of offence. Stop listening to commentators.
Whittaker ate that strike and was fine throwing offence within seconds as the round ended.

I have no issues with the round going either way or even a draw. If he dropped him and Whittaker effectively got an end of round 10 count(Bisping vs Silva) then yeah we have a different story.

Whittaker recovered almost instantly and began to throw back immediately. Yes, he was hurt, but he wasn't knocked down, therefore it doesn't negate all the success he had in the first. I thought it was an easy fight to score 30-27. I did mention to those watching with me that the judges would give Costa the round on the kick. Two of them didn't disappoint.

By the written scoring criteria Costa should get the first round,
but it is well within the standard amount of how much the judges often fuck up the application of the rules to consider a Whittaker R1 within the margin of error.

PRIORITIZED CRITERIA:

Effective Striking/Grappling

“Legal blows that have immediate or cumulative impact with the potential to contribute towards the end of the match with the IMMEDIATE weighing in more heavily than the cumulative impact.

Successful execution of takedowns, submission attempts, reversals and the achievement of advantageous positions that produce immediate or cumulative impact with the potential to contribute to the end of the match, with the IMMEDIATE weighing more heavily than the cumulative impact.”

It shall be noted that a successful takedown is not merely a changing of position, but the establishment of an attack from the use of the takedown. Top and bottom position fighters are assessed more on the impactful/effective result of their actions, more so than their position. This criterion will be the deciding factor in a high majority of decisions when scoring a round.

The next two criteria must be treated as a backup and used ONLY when Effective Striking/Grappling is 100% equal for the round.

He looked fucking great in this fight, esp after long layoff. I was super impressed, loved the kicks.

Hopefully he can be more active now, before Father Time gets to him.

Yeah I was thinking he is looking good too. I think he is kinda underrated by now and has some left in the tank.

Had he not recovered and been throwing back strong combinations I would not have. Fact was he recovered and looked strong, and had been better the entire round.

“throwing back strong combinations” or you mean throwing a few punches back while he was wobbly to try to keep Costa from killing him.

10 seconds more and Robert is finished, saved by the bell.

Agree, that judge is an idiot. When they said 30-27 I was thinking "oh my God, Costa won it, there is not way anyone is giving Whittaker round 1".

Back