When do you think Fedor Emelianenko should've retired?

When do you think Fedor Emelianenko should've retired?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just like that Anderson Silva thread. With the beauty of hindsight, what's your say?

I don't mind those 3 consecutive losses he had with Werdum, Bigfoot and Dan Henderson.

But I think he should have retired after he beat Jeff Monson.

licensed-image

At the time I was still so drunk on the unlimited invincibility of the last emperor & I just thought Rogers fought the fight of his life before Fedor fucked him up , but now with 15 years of hindsight he was obviously in decline at that point

Whenever he wanted to. He's an adult, who are we to state how he should live his life?

That's not the point, it's just a fun question/poll to see what people would think was best for him to retire.

It's no different from saying Silva should've retired before Weidman. Fedor should've retired before the Werdum loss. Hindsight is 20/20, but these guys are in the GOAT discussion for a reason, because they are legends who would take on anyone. It would almost take away their aura if they hesitated to take hard fights, but at the same time logically for their legacy they could've pulled out and retired when they stopped feeling 100% for fights. I respect them for trying to go for the challenge.

I voted for after he lost to hendo, but he should’ve just stayed retired after he beat rizzo. Never should have come back.

Didn’t see that as an option though.

The Rogers fight.

He already looked a bit slow against Andrei but he'd clearly slowed down against Rogers and was throwing caution to the wind in a manner that he'd never done before. He won but it was like watching a completely different person fight. He was also in a weird religious phase around then and it just seemed like his life was heading in a different direction.

He'd dominated two sports for a decade and had 33 fights in MMA. It was the perfect time to call it a day.

Last edited:
Considering the state of HW MMA and Fedor's notoriety, it was very tough to pick a reasonable dropping off point once he came back from his original retirement.

After that it was like the vicious cycle of gambling:
Ηe gets KO'd by a jab and well, we can't have a fighter of Fedor's legacy going out on a loss.
He wins his next fight, but then you can't quit now! Look how fast his hands still are, he can recapture gold and ride off into the sunset!
He gets KO'd by a jab again.

So I'll vote "he retired at the correct time" because I was always tuning into his fights hoping for the above miracle. We've seen worse ends to fight careers, with prolonged beatings all the way down to the regionals, fighting for about treefiddy.
<Fedor23>

I suppose after the Bigfoot fight because that was the first fight where you definitively had to go "oh shit Fedor got his ass kicked". With the Werdum fight it was over so fast you could call it an upset, whereas the Bigfoot fight was him getting totally outclassed, and its not like anyone saw Bigfoot as no1.

Probably around the time of the Rogers fight, but when he got KO'd by a middleweight in Hendo it should have been a signal to him that he was done.

Too bad that the Barnett fight got cancelled. It was pretty much exactly 10 years in Fedor's career and would have been his 3rd fight in Affliction. Then Affliction collapsed, Fedor went to Strikeforce and it was downhill from there.

People are using hindsight to vote that he should've retired right before his winning streak ended. That's highly unlikely, why would he ever have done that?

In terms of realistic decision making not based on hindsight the right time to retire would've been the Monson fight.

Back