Just a reminder that the future credibility of boxing is at stake when AJ fights Ngannou

Something I always thought was this:

It’s shit to leak sparring footage, and it’s shit to film shit going down in the street and make a legend about it, but unfortunately assholes do both those things, it’s bad form but this is why

Sparring you don’t know what the fighters were being coached to do and a street fight is… a street fight.

It’s all a pointless argument but it’s out there and people got opinions and so on and so forth. probably should give up trying to change KMBs viewpoint though, you are wasting your time and energy lol

People who give other people shit for losing drunken street fights are exposing a) they haven't been in many fights or b) they barely drink (neither of which is a bad thing).

Any self-respecting drunken moron that has thrown down a lot knows you can't have a perfect record no matter how tough and skilled a person may be. Because they will always be fighting someone at a very different stage of intoxication.

A big skill gap can easily be closed by a 12 beer gap.

Something I always thought was this:

It’s shit to leak sparring footage, and it’s shit to film shit going down in the street and make a legend about it, but unfortunately assholes do both those things, it’s bad form but this is why

Sparring you don’t know what the fighters were being coached to do and a street fight is… a street fight.

It’s all a pointless argument but it’s out there and people got opinions and so on and so forth. probably should give up trying to change KMBs viewpoint though, you are wasting your time and energy lol

Yeah he would probably argue that if someone pulls a gun all is fair and a legit fight. Guy is a moron.

People who give other people shit for losing drunken street fights are exposing a) they haven't been in many fights or b) they barely drink (neither of which is a bad thing).

Any self-respecting drunken moron that has thrown down a lot knows you can't have a perfect record no matter how tough and skilled a person may be. Because they will always be fighting someone at a very different stage of intoxication.

A big skill gap can easily be closed by a 12 beer gap.
Both were drunk but his friend was visibly worse off. It's evident from the video. The first thing to go, besides your inhibitions, is your balance and yet BJ was perfectly able to defend that snatch single leg attempt. His friend was stumbling around. Why are you so emotionally invested in this? It's fucking weird.

A boxing novice knocking down the reigning HW champion and arguably winning on points, then beating one of the other 3 biggest names in HW boxing over the last decade, with the knowledge that he could whoop both of them all in a real fight anyway, probably even just standup, effectively ends boxing as an elite combat sport that can be taken seriously compared to MMA.

I don't agree with all of this, but like it or not it will become the popular opinion if Joshua doesn't prevail.

I am a massive mma simp and I dabble into boxing much less but even I disagree with this. Francis is a fucking outlier and one in millions type talent. his greatness does not taint boxing atleast in my view. also, the lighterweight guys would wipe any of the ufc guys in a boxing match. we saw this with grandpa mayweather and prime macwanker. also boxing has a more "classy" appeal than mma atleast to the older crowd, my dad thinks mma is still a "trailer trash" meathead showdown as ignorant and close minded as it sounds.

Both were drunk but his friend was visibly worse off. It's evident from the video. The first thing to go, besides your inhibitions, is your balance and yet BJ was perfectly able to defend that snatch single leg attempt. His friend was stumbling around. Why are you so emotionally invested in this? It's fucking weird.

I wasn't referring to that fight, just drunk fights in general, I agree that both were clearly smashed.

This whole discussion has been weird on all sides.

That narrative doesn't hold up though if there isn't a huge amount of MMA fighters suddenly flooding the sport and dominating. Because if Ngannou winning proves it's easy then everyone else should be trying too but we know that's not going to happen. Maybe a few heavyweights but nobody lighter wants to challenge top boxers.
MMA fighters get fed to boxers all the time when guys are building up their record at the start of their career. Not just cans, often it will be Guys with good mma skills/records who feel confident and want the quick cash. They don’t typically fare well

BJ got clocked. He probably didn't think his fat friend packed that kind of power. The truth is that the fat guy probably hit harder than many of BJ's MMA opponents, who were around the 140-150 lb range.

We see it all the time with chunky islanders, who can get off the couch and knock just about anybody out, size matters.

A boxing novice knocking down the reigning HW champion and arguably winning on points, then beating one of the other 3 biggest names in HW boxing over the last decade, with the knowledge that he could whoop both of them all in a real fight anyway, probably even just standup, effectively ends boxing as an elite combat sport that can be taken seriously compared to MMA.

I don't agree with all of this, but like it or not it will become the popular opinion if Joshua doesn't prevail.

Except Francis was a boxer before he was an MMA fighter. This man is truly something special the world has never seen before.

Except Francis was a boxer before he was an MMA fighter. This man is truly something special the world has never seen before.

Really what was his record in boxing? What events did he enter?

Spoiler: he never boxed before fury, not in the pros, not in the amateurs.

Really what was his record in boxing? What events did he enter?

Spoiler: he never boxed before fury, not in the pros, not in the amateurs.

I get that obviously. You won’t find a bigger Francis fan then me dude. But Francis dream was always to box. He didn’t even want to do MMA he had to be convinced to do it. He had an amateur match against Takam but it was like Rocky vs Creed in the basement no footage. But I heard through the grapevine that NGannou gave Takam the business. That’s why I knew he would smash Fury like he did when no one else did. Just like how he will KO Joshua in 2 days and 5 minutes since it’s 11:55. If your a fellow Francis fan I salute you my brother!!!

Friendly reminder most/all high level mma fighters work on their boxing with boxing coaches. It’s rare for the coach to modify the techniques for mma, instead they teach them how to box and leave it to the fighters to translate it to the cage.

Francis has been training his boxing since he started mma. He knew he was angling for a boxing match and was working exclusively on that skill set for years.

People talk as if he went from an mma fight to the boxing ring in 3-4 months.

Friendly reminder most/all high level mma fighters work on their boxing with boxing coaches. It’s rare for the coach to modify the techniques for mma, instead they teach them how to box and leave it to the fighters to translate it to the cage.

Francis has been training his boxing since he started mma. He knew he was angling for a boxing match and was working exclusively on that skill set for years.

People talk as if he went from an mma fight to the boxing ring in 3-4 months.
There are some techniques that they train that aren't legal in boxing though: Backfists, spinning backfists, superman punches, and (standing) hammerfists. Those are all legal in MMA.

There are some techniques that they train that aren't legal in boxing though: Backfists, spinning backfists, superman punches, and (standing) hammerfists. Those are all legal in MMA.
Their boxing coaches aren’t teaching them any of that.

That's why I mentioned them. Some of these MMA gyms have general "striking" coaches that might be teaching them that stuff.
From my experience even guys with striking coaches still have dedicated boxing coaches. Especially when you start getting into the upper echelon of the sport

From my experience even guys with striking coaches still have dedicated boxing coaches. Especially when you start getting into the upper echelon of the sport
Yeah most MMA gyms have actual boxing coaches but many also have more generalized striking coaches that help them blend together their boxing and other striking techniques (kicks, knees, elbows). We do have pure boxing coaches in MMA like Jason Parillo just to name one.

I'll name some boxing coaches in MMA that are just off the top of my head. Barry Robinson, Jason Parillo, Richard Perez, Andreas Michael, and Ray Longo.

I chose a random MMA gym and had a look at their pro team coaches @DoctorTaco. As you can see both general "striking" coaches and dedicated boxing coaches are listed at American Top Team (ATT).
ATT-coaches.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Víctor Hugo Teco
Back