Media Aljamain Sterling Says He Had The "Most Dominating" Performance At UFC 300

So now we're gonna pretend like GSP didn't have many a user shitting on him during his reign and after his retirement? Countless accusations of using HGH too.
In GSP's case that was a loud minority but with Aljo it's a loud majority even though both were decision machines that both fought in a similar fashion and when they won it was mostly one sided. The main difference was GSP was Canadian and had almost all Canadians rooting for him, American's don't back their own like that in MMA.

GSP also had better striking and could hit harder which to me made it worse that he didn't get more TKO finishes. Aljo just can't hit hard and while his striking looked better at UFC 300 it's still not close to as good as GSP's.

It wasn't and the quality of opponent was way less than guys who had the better performances. Kattar is an average fighter at best and was on a losing streak at 36 years of age. It proves he's a top 10 Featherweight but nothing more. Ortega fight should be a no brainer

He's so wrong.

It's Pereira, Jamahal landed virtually nothing on him and he KO'd him almost effortlessly.

Finishes > LnP

It wasn't a whole lot of fun to watch, but Sterling DID completely dominate a ranked opponent in a higher weight class.

Sterling is not likeable, but he is very, very good at what he does.
Being on a alcohol fueled bender w my boys during this fight, man this fight sucked so hard.

This is gold.
This is virgin mentality. I can think of a few nights in my life I didn’t get the power finish or finish at all but they damn sure beat the nights not scrapping if you catch my drift. Anyone telling you otherwise isn’t a true scraper

clownjo pulled off a 3-round-decision vs. full afk person
i think even if someone wont be able to continue the fight at the beginning of rd1, clownjermain will still find a way to make it a 5-round decision somehow
1ld0wtnog1vc1.jpeg

i love grappling! Aljo's style of it is very boring though. he's not very urgent, he tends to just hold and do juuuust enough so that the fight isnt separated or stood up. he's damn good at maintaining control. but personally its just a dull as hell style he's developed. he used to be more exciting earlier on in his career.
Joe Lauzon is one of my favorite fighters ever and a fine example of someone with an entertaining grappling style. Charles Olivera too.

Lauzon had awesome grappling.

I still put his complete obliteration of Ruedegir as one of the most perfect performances ever

Pereira KO'd Hill after a nut kick in the first round.

Fuck off backpacker.
And Aljo won the belt after eating a knee to the head..

What’s your point?

A 30-27 like that is pretty much the definition of dominating a fight, imo. Kattar did nothing during the fight. Aljo won all three rounds, easily. Shutting down your dangerous opponent for an entire fight is what a LOT of people consider to be dominant. Excitement isn’t part of the equation.

A win like that is more dominant than a first round finish for a LOT of people in here.

Leave emotion out of it. He’s not wrong.

i think he means dominant in a sexual way with all dat rub n tug

Are we sure this isn't Aljo's burner account?

<BC1>

In all seriousness though I went back and re-watched the fight to make sure I wasn't delusional and holy shit bro, you are really on one with some of these posts.

Before I actually respond to your points I'll make my general consensus of the fight upon re-watch; incredibly dominant, incredibly boring, with a couple flashes of brilliance sprinkled throughout.

Aljo looked good and Kattar looked old/slow/bad, once Aljo was able to get his clinch/grappling game going he gassed Kattar in less then a round and just used control positions to suck the life out of him. He looked ok in the stand-up in spots, still just spams single techniques from range then moves away and feints level changes to get opponents to stop pressuring or not throw if they are.

He took absolutely zero risks throughout, content to play it safe at all times and just lay in side control for a minute in rounds 2/3 just to kill clock, never posturing up to throw strikes outside of the power bomb sequence (by far the coolest sequence and one that led to some GnP, albeit some shitty hammerfists).

Basically he cooked Kattar early and got him stuck in quicksand, it was very technical pressure grappling against an over-matched opponent that was fighting purely defensively (so to be fair to him Kattar not trying stupid escapes or panic grappling from bottom didn't open up clear transitions or subs, but he never really pushed the issue). The only legit sub attempt was the guillotine at the end of the fight (last 20 seconds) and Kattar defended and escaped before he even really tried for it.

Now, to your comments:

He had 2 near finishes one from a submission and one from GnP. Kattar has also only been finished 2 times in 31 fights. I swear for people on an MMA forum a lot of you don't pay any attention to MMA.

He had 0 near finishes, what the fuck are you watching? He had a cool power bomb type slam that surprised Kattar and got him to shell up for 5 seconds of hammerfists that landed on his gloves. Then at the end of the fight he goes for a guillotine for all of 2 seconds which Kattar escapes by going to his back immediately.

Kattar is tough and fought defensively from bottom by not taking stupid chances, but if we don't acknowledge how Aljo just bleeds a minute from the clock in every round literally just laying on his opponent from side control we are being dishonest - he's a clock-staller from control positions, always has been and always will be. It is what it is, I don't blame him for using a style that is incredibly effective at "winning," I just don't find it entertaining.

LMAO, that fight ways way more entertaining than almost any Davis fight, 2 near finishes one from a submission, one from GnP and a powerbomb. All of this against a top 5 guy in a new weight class that landed like 6 strikes total since he got dominated so badly and Kattar has been finished 2 times in 31 fights.

Rankings don't mean shit and he isn't top 5 anyways lol - he's somehow ranked #8, even though he's 1-4 in his last 5 and the only win was by out-wrestling a striker in Giga when Kattar is a striker that never wrestles. The last time he looked good was before he fought Max in 2020, after Max took part of his soul he's been a fading shadow of himself and now he's a 36 year old FW coming off almost 2 year layoff from destroying his knee.

To his credit, Aljo looked good at the new weight-class and was fast, strong, effective in implementing his style. But if we don't acknowledge that Kattar is old, faded, coming off a long-term injury lay off we are again being dishonest. Aljo looked good, Kattar looked bad - and yet it was still a boring fight.

Kattar has been finished 2 times in 31 fights. He almost got finished twice against Aljo and was powerbombed, I don't know what you guys were expecting. The fight was only boring cause Kattar couldn't do shit and is incredibly difficult to finish. What's Aljo supposed to do let Kattar hit him and make it competitive so it's more entertaining? That's idiotic. If you can appreciate grappling at all or technical fighting that was an entertaining fight.

I think we just want to see Aljo not actively stall. At the end of the day I don't want to see him sit in the pocket and try to counter or get in prolonged combinations/exchanges because he's not good at that and asking him to commit fight suicide isn't smart or cool. But in every single round he got in a completely dominant control position and you could almost see the wheels turning in his brain going "I'm winning - I don't need to do anything except hold this guy here and keep tiring him out" when he could've looked to posture up and throw strikes, create a dynamic grappling transition, just do something to show he is a "fighter" that wants to hurt his opponent and is willing to take chances to do so.

You actively admit he dominated Kattar who couldn't land/do much, yet you can't admit that Aljo does so little with the dominance to make things entertaining. He had Kattar COOKED by the early second round and it wasn't until the last 30 seconds of the fight he actually created an opportunity to submission hunt and immediately opened up and attacked a guillotine. The thing is he could to that way more often, but he's a completely risk-averse fighter - why would he take chances going aggressively for positions or submissions or GnP when he can just control you and drain your energy levels? Doing that means using energy and risking reversals, and Aljo's style is built to remove as little risk as possible so he'll only do those things in the type of dominant spots that rarely happen when you fight elite competition.

Clearly you love seeing grappling used effectively in fights and there is nothing wrong with that, but the least you can do is acknowledge his style is completely risk-averse and based on control, instead of trying to gaslight people into thinking he almost finished Kattar twice....

<36>

Are we sure this isn't Aljo's burner account?

<BC1>

In all seriousness though I went back and re-watched the fight to make sure I wasn't delusional and holy shit bro, you are really on one with some of these posts.

Before I actually respond to your points I'll make my general consensus of the fight upon re-watch; incredibly dominant, incredibly boring, with a couple flashes of brilliance sprinkled throughout.

Aljo looked good and Kattar looked old/slow/bad, once Aljo was able to get his clinch/grappling game going he gassed Kattar in less then a round and just used control positions to suck the life out of him. He looked ok in the stand-up in spots, still just spams single techniques from range then moves away and feints level changes to get opponents to stop pressuring or not throw if they are.

He took absolutely zero risks throughout, content to play it safe at all times and just lay in side control for a minute in rounds 2/3 just to kill clock, never posturing up to throw strikes outside of the power bomb sequence (by far the coolest sequence and one that led to some GnP, albeit some shitty hammerfists).

Basically he cooked Kattar early and got him stuck in quicksand, it was very technical pressure grappling against an over-matched opponent that was fighting purely defensively (so to be fair to him Kattar not trying stupid escapes or panic grappling from bottom didn't open up clear transitions or subs, but he never really pushed the issue). The only legit sub attempt was the guillotine at the end of the fight (last 20 seconds) and Kattar defended and escaped before he even really tried for it.

Now, to your comments:

He had 0 near finishes, what the fuck are you watching? He had a cool power bomb type slam that surprised Kattar and got him to shell up for 5 seconds of hammerfists that landed on his gloves. Then at the end of the fight he goes for a guillotine for all of 2 seconds which Kattar escapes by going to his back immediately.

Kattar is tough and fought defensively from bottom by not taking stupid chances, but if we don't acknowledge how Aljo just bleeds a minute from the clock in every round literally just laying on his opponent from side control we are being dishonest - he's a clock-staller from control positions, always has been and always will be. It is what it is, I don't blame him for using a style that is incredibly effective at "winning," I just don't find it entertaining.

Rankings don't mean shit and he isn't top 5 anyways lol - he's somehow ranked #8, even though he's 1-4 in his last 5 and the only win was by out-wrestling a striker in Giga when Kattar is a striker that never wrestles. The last time he looked good was before he fought Max in 2020, after Max took part of his soul he's been a fading shadow of himself and now he's a 36 year old FW coming off almost 2 year layoff from destroying his knee.

To his credit, Aljo looked good at the new weight-class and was fast, strong, effective in implementing his style. But if we don't acknowledge that Kattar is old, faded, coming off a long-term injury lay off we are again being dishonest. Aljo looked good, Kattar looked bad - and yet it was still a boring fight.

I think we just want to see Aljo not actively stall. At the end of the day I don't want to see him sit in the pocket and try to counter or get in prolonged combinations/exchanges because he's not good at that and asking him to commit fight suicide isn't smart or cool. But in every single round he got in a completely dominant control position and you could almost see the wheels turning in his brain going "I'm winning - I don't need to do anything except hold this guy here and keep tiring him out" when he could've looked to posture up and throw strikes, create a dynamic grappling transition, just do something to show he is a "fighter" that wants to hurt his opponent and is willing to take chances to do so.

You actively admit he dominated Kattar who couldn't land/do much, yet you can't admit that Aljo does so little with the dominance to make things entertaining. He had Kattar COOKED by the early second round and it wasn't until the last 30 seconds of the fight he actually created an opportunity to submission hunt and immediately opened up and attacked a guillotine. The thing is he could to that way more often, but he's a completely risk-averse fighter - why would he take chances going aggressively for positions or submissions or GnP when he can just control you and drain your energy levels? Doing that means using energy and risking reversals, and Aljo's style is built to remove as little risk as possible so he'll only do those things in the type of dominant spots that rarely happen when you fight elite competition.

Clearly you love seeing grappling used effectively in fights and there is nothing wrong with that, but the least you can do is acknowledge his style is completely risk-averse and based on control, instead of trying to gaslight people into thinking he almost finished Kattar twice....

<36>
No I can just appreciate top level grappling and don't talk shit about fights I didn't actually watch, which is rare for people on here, you should try it. LMAO at TheMMAnalyst who can't even tell what it means when a ref moves closer to the fighters then back out when someone's landing repeated unanswered GnP shots or what a submission attempt is.

No I can just appreciate top level grappling and don't talk shit about fights I didn't actually watch, which is rare for people on here, you should try it. LMAO at TheMMAnalyst who can't even tell what it means when a ref moves closer to the fighters then back out when someone's landing repeated unanswered GnP shots or what a submission attempt is.

I watched it live, but out of courtesy before I responded I re-watched it to make sure I wasn't tripping balls with what I remembered.

The fact that you can't tell when someone engages with you in good faith to discuss something just shows how pigeon-holed your perspective is - your mind is already made up before you've even read an argument against your stance.

Refs don't know shit, I don't care what they do in fights, I trust my eyes after watching fights regularly for over 20 years. If you know anything about fighting you would know that GnP wasn't hard or devastating (Kattar was kind of surprised/shocked by the slam and just shelled up, probably a little off-kilt but nowhere close to being finished) and you would know that choke wasn't even close (FYI - I'm a BJJ black-belt).

You can't tell when GnP shots actually land on someone hard or their gloves, you can't tell how hurt someone is, and you can't tell when a submission attempt is actually close....and yet you have a name like "NoBiasJustMMA" that seemingly always take an incredibly biased perspective on particular fighters...interesting....

<WhatItIs>

Ref was terrible also for not standing them up

I watched it live, but out of courtesy before I responded I re-watched it to make sure I wasn't tripping balls with what I remembered.

The fact that you can't tell when someone engages with you in good faith to discuss something just shows how pigeon-holed your perspective is - your mind is already made up before you've even read an argument against your stance.

Refs don't know shit, I don't care what they do in fights, I trust my eyes after watching fights regularly for over 20 years. If you know anything about fighting you would know that GnP wasn't hard or devastating (Kattar was kind of surprised/shocked by the slam and just shelled up, probably a little off-kilt but nowhere close to being finished) and you would know that choke wasn't even close (FYI - I'm a BJJ black-belt).

You can't tell when GnP shots actually land on someone hard or their gloves, you can't tell how hurt someone is, and you can't tell when a submission attempt is actually close....and yet you have a name like "NoBiasJustMMA" that seemingly always take an incredibly biased perspective on particular fighters...interesting....

<WhatItIs>
You talk about a good faith argument and then proceed to say refs don't know shit when my point was the ref was thinking of ending the fight which clearly you agree with after rewatching the fight but you don't want to admit it so shut the fuck about your good faith argument because you're full of shit and you're not making a good faith argument. If you can't argue or refuse to argue with the points being made you're as far from a good faith argument as you can get.

I very much doubt you're a black belt either.

Last edited:
he definitely had the most controlling fight, but domination is handily winning the fight AND THEN giving the guy you're beating his only chance to win, AND THEN BEATING HIM AT THAT TOO. only one guy did that that night
giphy-downsized-large.gif

stay blessed Aljo, that coulda been you
bork1}

Cry all you want but he moved up in weight and basically went untouched and powerbombed/pile drived a guy.

Yeah his style isn't exciting to watch, but he fuckin' dominates guys. You don't see guys go up in weight and do that.

blame kattar for not being able to stand up. you anti grappling fucktards should go watch glory cause MMA clearly isnt for you. its the same shit over and over and they never blame the guy getting dominated, who is soley to blame for you not being entertained. it is in no way aljos fault that his opponent cant stop him. perhaps get better and learn to defend and stop takedowns? or perhaps learn how to get up from being completely smothered....

Most people don't understand that in grappling, being in a marginally bad position and defending is 1000x easier than standing up or reversing position. It's also fuckin' hard to get a sub or finish from a dominant position on the ground if you're dominant because the person clams up and just plays defense, making their limbs shorter and shit. The moment you try to give up position to go for a finish that's when they explode and try to escape/etc.

Back