The Fight Compass by Rodney King - Discussion

Reala

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I thought the DVD was fantastic and wanted to discuss it in stages with Sherdog users. I'll start with the first 10 minutes where Rodney goes over something so simple it is almost sickening that I have made this mistake in training recently.

Rodney says:
When Moving towards your opponents outside (to your right)
Anytime you go towards your opponents lead hand side (outside) either backwards or forwards you are OK to circle round whether punching or not because your opponent has to re-square his hips to land any effective strikes.

When Moving towards your opponents inside (to your left)
Step 3 - Anytime you go towards your opponents rear hand side (inside) you should ensure you move backwards unless you are striking because his hips will already be square to you.

Questions
Is this always true? if not name your exceptions...
Does this also work in Muaythai/MMA or is this purely a boxing strategy?

I realize this is a serious thread intending serious discussion but...Rodney King is giving fighting advice? I saw his last match and he didn't do so well, even if he was outnumbered. I will admit he has a rabid fanbase though!

Can't we all just get along! :)

I realize this is a serious thread intending serious discussion but...Rodney King is giving fighting advice? I saw his last match and he didn't do so well, even if he was outnumbered. I will admit he has a rabid fanbase though!

Can't we all just get along! :)

If anything, he showed heart and determination. Out numbered and beaten with battons, he never quit.

If anything, he showed heart and determination. Out numbered and beaten with battons, he never quit.

He actually did compete in a Celebrity Boxing Match earlier this month against a former cop, Simon Aouad. It was held in Philadelphia. Ironic.

Great trainers / analysts don't always make great competitors.

Freddie Roach perhaps the best boxing trainer in the world was a good boxer but far from phenominal. Greg Jackson would be another example.

Sorry, I think there's a mix up. I was referencing a different Rodney King. In 1992(?) a black gentleman named Rodney King was attacked and physically assaulted by several L.A. police officers. That's what I meant by he was outnumbered and what Too Defensive meant about being beaten by batons. The whole thing was caught on videotape but when the cops were put on trial, a jury found them not guilty. There was a huge riot as a result of the verdict, which is why I said he had a rabid fan base. I'm sure the man who created the tape you are referencing is not the same Rodney King who was the victim of a racially motivated assault by Los Angeles police officers but since I had heard about the Celebrity Boxing Match involving the older King (ironic, the victim of being beaten by police officers now fighting them in a sanctioned match), I couldn't resist pretending they were the same. I didn't mean to throw off your thread...sorry.

Questions

this actually depends on how square the opponent is

The whole thing was caught on videotape but when the cops were put on trial, a jury found them not guilty. There was a huge riot as a result of the verdict,

I was there. Boosted 3 televisions, a microwave, a blender, and some NES games.

"april 26 1-9-9-2, there was a riot on the streets, tell me where were you?"

nevermind, i wouldn't want to have to testify!!! :icon_chee

lol. Man, growing up that verdict made all the talk about D.W.B. real. I still get nervous when I drive by a cop car.

im glad hes kicked the ol crack habit and making dvd's...how wonderful!

Great trainers / analysts don't always make great competitors.

Freddie Roach perhaps the best boxing trainer in the world was a good boxer but far from phenominal. Greg Jackson would be another example.

lol they're mentioning the the african american that got bashed by the cops in 1992 that was the precursor to the LA riots.

TS is mentioning Crazy Monkey defense rodney king

I've got rodney kings dvd's and he's one heck of a trainer.

As for your questions yeah and no, part of my strategy in sparring is to close the distance with the triple jab but i'm angling to their right to get the opponent to circle and back away into my power hand, as rodney said though don't circle to your opponents lead side without throwing strikes cause you're online to getting caught.

Ok no offense intended here, but the whole Rodney King jokes are pretty old at this point...

I think the Fight Compass DVDs are pretty good. IMHO you probably need to train to a certain level to be able to appreciate them; enough to know the basics, have some experience sparring, and be at a stage where you are starting to formulate your personal style/ring strategy.

Runner/Pressure/Angler/Counter puncher is a good breakdown, because most fighters are some unique combination of all of them. In some ways, your style is simply a breakdown of how much you employ each of them in your game.

The DVDs are not high on the number of techniques shown. This is generally consistent with King's style of teaching. Rather than listing off techniques, he shows ~4 strategies that apply to each style and each of those strategies act as a good foundation for leading to other stuff. I've personally worked some of his runner/angler strategies into my sparring, and I feel they've helped me.

Crap, I just realized I didn't answer Reala's question. Rodney has covered the circling thing in prior DVDs, not just for the footwork aspect as you mention but also for avoiding power. I think a lot of non-CMD coaches teach the same thing as a general strategy.

I thought the DVD was fantastic and wanted to discuss it in stages with Sherdog users. I'll start with the first 10 minutes where Rodney goes over something so simple it is almost sickening that I have made this mistake in training recently.

Rodney says:
When Moving towards your opponents outside (to your right)
Anytime you go towards your opponents lead hand side (outside) either backwards or forwards you are OK to circle round whether punching or not because your opponent has to re-square his hips to land any effective strikes.

Questions

This doesn't make sense to me. Not because it's false or anything (since obviously one must be more active when circling into power rather than away from it), but in reality when the HELL would you have time to circle within range without an exchange?! It's like those old martial arts instructionals where the guy runs to the side of his attacker and blasts him. But real life isn't like that. If you circle, the other guy is going to turn. And chances are he can turn faster than you can circle. (now circling outside of range and popping in and out is an entirely different subject)

See that's one of the reasons why pivoting and angles is so frustrating for guys learning boxing. Quickly you discover that you can't easily pivot or create angles because your opponent will just quickly turn with you and square up again. By and large you can only create those angles off of overcommitment by your opponent.

Back