Muay Thai Gym Q&A

Go to Rattachai Gym then. 3x Lumpini champ. They have a website so check it out. My training there was also great and he just opened it up so they're aren't many people there yet.

I remember he was wearing a knee sleeve sometimes, but he was in there throwing knees in the clinch so hopefully it is better.

Yeah, half the trainers there are banged up and wearing knee sleeves. Sing's got two bad knees, I think, and he's held pads for me at least once every time I've trained there. Same with Pot. I trained at Sinbi late last year and Pot was very active. When I swung by again in February, just to visit, he was holding pads.

I'm kind of in the same boat. There are too many students and too many Russians at Sinbi these days. Too many Russians in at least that area of Phuket, in general. I will say though that they've always done a fantastic job of handling the insane number of people that may be there at any given time. I've been there on days when students outnumber pad holders by an insane ratio and everyone still gets their pad work in.

12241478_967683319944736_5215674637074821615_n.jpg

12105956_956528771060191_6991539197728358903_n.jpg

Mcsweeney's new gym unit technical fight factory looks pretty damn sick!

Supposedly the only gym in phuket with a full size cage. If you are looking for traditional may thai though, probably not a good fit for you, since the two main striking coaches are more Dutch style.

If anyone is in phuket, and try this place out, give details

Here is a review of Anorak's gym I've borrowed from from K-1fans.

Kiatphotip Gym -
Here is a review of my 1 weeks stay at Rob's gym last year mid june i think it was, i'll run through a typical days training and an overview of everything else. After emailing Rob for a couple of weeks about location, prices and organising my stay. He picked me up from bkk airport with his wife on a Saturday evening, my intentions were to arrive in bkk on Saturday to sleep of my jet lag the following day (sun) where there's no training and be ready to train on monday. I forgot the length it took to drive to the gym, think i roughly 1hr 1-1/2hr.

Accomodation
Had a room to my self, two bunk beds in my room. Picture below speaks for itself.

Morning training
Woke up at 6am for a run with all the boxers, the morning run was nice, fresh air good surrondings. On the run, majority is beside a lake, few bikes/cars. Leading the pack was bao, champion of a bloke. Although his eyes are menacing!

Following the run was around 10 mins of shadow boxing up and down the matted gym floors. Proceeded by bag work timed by either Jompop or Liam screaming Liu Liu Liu whilst telling telling me to stay on my toes, mix up the combos etc. After several round of bag work, high reps on using dumbbell, bar bells bit of a circuit of curls, shoulder press, weighted punches. Then a stretch down

Breakfast
Typical Thai food with the base staple being rice, me being Asian. Eating rice at any time of the day is no probs what so ever. There were 2 guys and 1 girl from UK - Deanos Dean Whites gym staying there, and one of the lads had serial toasts etc..

Finished breakfast at around 10am so there was a fair gap between the next arvo training session.

The Gym is about 10min walk from the town, where there's a market which has fresh fruit etc. 7/11, internet. There's a big university in town, so the normal shops are there restaurants etc. Friendly people around the area, some nice Thai uni girls too Very Happy. If u wanted you could use the bike to go there, take less than 2 minutes. Liam took me once, but i didnt want to keep nagging him to drive me to the shop, so i just walked there when i needed some extra to eat or use the internet.

Afternoon Training session
Starts around 3-30pm, run is alot shorter and on a different route.
There were Four trainers at the gym.

Liam
Jompop
Omnoi
Old bloke - forgot his name

Jompop usually held the pads for me, couldn

that's a shame about sinbi, and interesting about russians training in sinbi/phuket. i don't want to make generalisations about an entire people but often they (and other eastern european guys) seem to spar in a style that i'm not accustomed to, generally too hard and often "to win". also, having holidayed in egypt and turkey (where tourism ties with russia are very strong historically) i'm also aware of certain cultural differences regarding politeness and etiquette. there are always exceptions of course.

i may look at other options then but will likely be looking toward sinbi because it seems one of the places you can turn up on the day. i won't be able to commit enough to train at a small place like sitjaopho where you need to book a place in advance. that would be the dream though for a proper training trip.

Last year I was working in a gym here (Canada) that's owned by Russians. They said when they went to Thailand (Phuket area) and they were embarrassed by the other Russians there. The one guy I talked to the most said he wouldn't even tell people he was from there, he just said he was Canadian.

Supposedly the only gym in phuket with a full size cage. If you are looking for traditional may thai though, probably not a good fit for you, since the two main striking coaches are more Dutch style.

That soi is the last place in Thailand that I will ever go. Too many bros.

keatkhamtornug3.gif

About
Keatkhamtorn Gym
Keatkhamtorn Gym was established 6 years ago in Khannayao, Bangkok by Teerawat Chukorn, known as Jakae. Many of the fighters were from the gym ThungsongThaksin in the south before they moved to Bangkok. In this short period, of only 6 years Keatkhamtorn fighters have made a great name for themselves at big shows on major stadiums like Lumpini and Rajadamnern.

After having a solid stable of great fighters, Keatkhamtorn now also train foreign fighters, to fight in and outside Thailand.

Fighters
Keatkhamtorn figter stable consists of ~15 local fighters, with different age and experience that fight at different stadiums in and outside Bangkok. There is usually 3-5 foreign fighters training at Keatkhamtorn at the same time. Some of them just for fitness, some of them to prepare
for their first fight, while some of the foreign fighters train to fight at Lumpini and Rajadamnern.

Training
The training is the typical thai training regime, with runs and skipping twice a day before training, pad- and bagwork and different technique/sparring drills followed by clinching. The clinch and knee training is a very big part of the training, and the strong knee fighters use to clinch for an hour after every training session. To build a strong knee, and train for endurance in the clinch the fighters do up to 1000 knees on the bag after the run, and 50-200 pull-ups, followed by neck exercise after each session.

Something that I find very great about this gym is that the fighters have the same passion for teaching, and train with you as the trainers. There's nothing like you have to take a ticket, or train hard for a few weeks before you can be sure that you can hit the pads every session. That's a part of the routine, and unless you're injured you have to complete it, TWICE a day Smile Some of the trainers, are strong and have good distance to give you intense pad training with a lot of encountering, while there is some older teachers with a lot of experience and a great eye for technique.

One of them is Lae, who could stay for hours watching the bags, and see me do the same mistake for hours, but still
encourages me to correct my technique.

If you want to fight, you may tell Jakae and he'll make sure that the trainers will put in a hard effort to evaluate
where you can fight, and what weaknesses you need to work on before.

Facilities
DSCN0804.jpg
DSCN0794.jpg
DSCN0788.jpg
DSCN0798.jpg

The gym is equipped with 8 bags, 2 full-size boxing rings, chin/pull-up bars,
uppercut bag, weights, and all accessories needed for training. In the building there's a kitchen where the fighters eat and look TV, on the second floor there's four big rooms for the guest boxers, with CableTV and Hi-speed Internet computers outside. The Thai fighters live at the third floor.

The rooms are big, with a lot of place for storage with both fan and air conditioning.

Food
Fresh food made by the cook at the gym, Ying are served twice a day after training. The food are nutritious and well composted for a fighter training in Thailand. You won't have to worry about going hungry, since they will serve you heaps of food. If you're not a heavyweighter you may have to tell them that you are fine with a smaller amount of food Smile If you go hungry between sessions, there's a food stall on the other side of the street, where you can get a Tom Yam Goong soup, together with a PatKaprao
and bottled water for less than 50bth. There's a Tesco Lotus, with everything you need, a food court, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Swensens five minutes from the gym.

10/3 Moo 11 Nawamin Rd,Soi 88,Kannayao,Bangkok 10230

A small list of fighter achievements
Former S-1, Lumpini and Thailand champion, Nopparat Keatkhamtorn
Former Lumpini and Thailand champion, Yuthagarn Thungsongthaksin
Former Lumpini champion, Denkiri 13 Rianresort
Lumpini International boxing champion Daothai Keatkhamtorn
and WBC Asia-Pacific International boxing champion, Oledon Gratingdaeng
WBC MuayThai Champion, Yassotorn Keatkhamtorn
S-1 Champion, Detsuriya Sittiprasert
S-1 Champion Laemthong Thor Ponchai

Price
25,000bth / month for room, training 2x day, food, CableTV/Internet, airport transfer

Website
Check there facebook since the website is no longer up.

Contact
William Sandin, [email protected] (English)
Jakae, [email protected] Phone: 668-58008708 (Thai)

Last edited:
Yeah, half the trainers there are banged up and wearing knee sleeves. Sing's got two bad knees, I think, and he's held pads for me at least once every time I've trained there. Same with Pot. I trained at Sinbi late last year and Pot was very active. When I swung by again in February, just to visit, he was holding pads.

I'm kind of in the same boat. There are too many students and too many Russians at Sinbi these days. Too many Russians in at least that area of Phuket, in general. I will say though that they've always done a fantastic job of handling the insane number of people that may be there at any given time. I've been there on days when students outnumber pad holders by an insane ratio and everyone still gets their pad work in.

Yeah, definitely a lot of Russians in that area and many are very annoying, especially on the road.

anyone been to ingram gym lately?

There's something about training inside in a Thai gym I don't like. Just feels wrong to not be outside training. Then again I haven't been there during monsoon season so maybe they're onto something.

nice work mate
only thing I would add regarding the fight nights, these can work out expensive and unfortunately you wont be able to get in free at Lumpini or Ratchadamnern, but should get a discount through your gym if they have a fighter on the card and are connected enough. I can get a discount for all of the shows for people, not a huge amount, but it helps. Channel 7 is free and usually pretty good fights, but get there early as it gets rammed out in there. Omnoi which is just outside of Bangkok and holds the channel3 fights saturday is just 200 baht and also well worth a trip as you get some big names fight there too. Im pretty sure the channel 9 fights on a sunday are also only around 200 baht entrance so worth a trip, the channel 5 fights are at Lumpini so you have to pay the same price as any other show there 2000 for ringside

I forgot what street it is with ptt and tiger, but that street has got yet another gym.

The mma striking coach and bjj coach of tiger has left(heard cause new management is shit) and affiliated themselves with unit 27 on the same street. Gym is looking big from what i saw
11217186_518402498312752_5205813908947387297_n.jpg

HELL YEAH that looks AWESOME!! :icon_twis

And pfftt too many bros!? Better than Bangkok that's fer sure.
Nothing but over priced shanks,gyms and old men :icon_neut

Whats the name of Ole Laursen's gym and have you heard anything about it???

Thanks. Awesome thread, too!

It's on Chalong Rd.

The striking coach is James McSweeney, who was a former TUFer.
On the same street behind Tiger I believe, they were still working on construction when I left 3 wks back. Opposite the crossfit noobs!! :rolleyes:

There's something about training inside in a Thai gym I don't like. Just feels wrong to not be outside training. Then again I haven't been there during monsoon season so maybe they're onto something.

Well it's not a thai gym

Last year I was working in a gym here (Canada) that's owned by Russians. They said when they went to Thailand (Phuket area) and they were embarrassed by the other Russians there. The one guy I talked to the most said he wouldn't even tell people he was from there, he just said he was Canadian.

The idea of a dude with a thick Russian accent trying to pass himself off as Canadian is pretty hilarious.

Now it´s booked! Im going to koh phangan for the first time and train at Diamond muay thai in january and staying for atleast 1 month.. I've read good reviews so i got high expectations!

Anyone ever make it out to the Banchamek gym in BKK? I've seen two different addresses for this place and I was wondering which one of them was accurate. Is it by Bangkok Hospital, off of Phetchaburi?

Great information sir thank you very much. I'm sticking this thread as it has a wealth of info that people can benefit from.

It's on Chalong Rd.

The striking coach is James McSweeney, who was a former TUFer.
On the same street behind Tiger I believe, they were still working on construction when I left 3 wks back. Opposite the crossfit noobs!! :rolleyes:

Yea i know him very well. Just didn't know that damn street name. They said they'll be soft launching next month and has a seminar set up for opening with both caley reece and tiffany van soet or however you spell her last name.

I know his classes at tiger were pretty packed for most part so should be interesting.

Well not just russians but people from over the world understand the concept of sparring ...

First post and all that so be nice. Trained in Thailand in October at a few different places so I thought I'd add my experience here.

I nearly didn't mention this place, because it's (well, I think it is anyway) an undiscovered gem, and part of me wants it to remain my own personal undiscovered gem so that it's not too busy when I go back, but V.Hemtanon - it's tucked away on a dirt track in Phuket, with signposts that you could easily miss and it's pretty good bordering on the mutts nuts. It was pretty quiet when I was there, so you get a lot of one-to-one time. The vibe is really friendly and chilled, but because it's not crowded there is no getting away with any laziness or slacking.

I took privates with Ae, the standard hour was actually nearer to an hour and a half. I asked him if we could focus on technique because I always want to learn new stuff in Thailand and just leech as many new things as I can off the trainers. Ae is a man of few words, but you can measure how well you're doing by the look on his face and communication is mostly non-verbal anyway, innit. Came away with a bunch of new feints and combos, some tricks and some good ringcraft as well as ironing out some of my bad habits.

The only down side is carpet - that is a thing, take tape, take lots of tape with you to stop your feet getting ragged to shit. It wasn't too much of an issue when I was there because it wasn't crowded so I spent most of my time in the ring, but it is a bit of an issue.

Also spent a few days at Sumalee, wasn't a massive fan to be honest, it's not bad, it's just not my cup of tea. It's very well marketed and everything is nice and shiny and the accommodation looks pretty good, but I did feel a bit rinsed and pressured to take privates.

So, funny enough, the taxi is pulling down this little dirt road to my rental here in Phuket and he drives right passed this gym. It's literally 4-5 doors away from me. So I swung by this afternoon and I was only one of two farang there, and maybe half a dozen Thai kids. There were only two trainers working: Oh and Ae. Everyone was very friendly and I had a good five rounds on the pads. If they saw something wrong, they corrected it, which is honestly not the case at every gym, sadly. Since there weren't many of us there, there really was no room for slacking. Okay, they did cut me some slack since I haven't trained much lately and I'm clearly out-of-shape. But were still on top of me and made sure I got everything in. The carpet is definitely pretty whack, but if business picks up, maybe they can do something about it. Not that jigsaw mats are really that much better because while they save your feet some wear and tear, you're slipping and sliding.

Two nice rings, nice pads, nice bags, etc. Little weight room area. Plenty of rooms on-site. I'm not sure if anyone was staying there at the time or what. Everyone was very nice and the training was good, so hopefully things pick up a bit. The training was infinitely better than at a place like Tiger, so if they can get a fraction of the business, they'll be fine. Unfortunately it's crowded down here with almost as many muay Thai gyms popping up as 7-11s.

Oh, and thankfully the one other farang wasn't a fucking goof, because I had to clinch with him. I'm so sick of being paired up with bozos over at Sinbi who want to clamp on for dear life and launch little missiles to my dick that I just stopped refusing to clinch with anyone other than the Thais because I'd rather get the shit beat out of me by someone who knows what they're doing than spend even a handful of minutes with some overweight lunatic.

You sure if you are in Bangkok total Monthly expenditure is 500USD, covering entry to fight shows ,training, food etc.?

I think 700USD will be a better estimate . You surely do not want foriegners find themselves stuck here with no money after they have fixed their nairline ticket.

Another thing to look at while training is going to fights. If you are in Bangkok(BKK), ! Total monthly budget should be about 500 USD for the man or woman that is concentrating on training. That includes travel to and from the stadiums for fights by whatever manner of transportation you choose, cover charge to enter, food and drink not provided by the gym, those Saturday nights that may come along where you and your news training mates go out for dinner and drinks and pay you

Has anybody checked out Elite Boxing in Bangkok? Will be in Bangers on Nov 14 which is a Saturday. Will check it Monday for a session, as Saenchai's new gym looked furthest from my hotel. Will be back in Koh Samui on the 17th Nov if anyone's around.

Planning to check out Superpro for a week before returning back to Lamai WMC

You sure if you are in Bangkok total Monthly expenditure is 500USD, covering entry to fight shows ,training, food etc.?

I think 700USD will be a better estimate . You surely do not want foriegners find themselves stuck here with no money after they have fixed their nairline ticket.

I'm more than sure $500 will get you by. You don't have to go to every fight and as Anorak mentioned, there are a few stadiums charging only 200 baht to enter with very good matches. The $500 I'm speaking of is not include the cost of training and accommodation. I'm speaking of spending cash after you have paid for training. You must have miss the part in my first post that said you should always have more than enough money. If you are spending $700 monthly and not buying souvenirs, you are paying way too much for your everyday goods. Save money by eating at the gym you train at. Most people do that. :) You on the other hand can go MBK for your meals everyday and have KFC if you like and get charged up the arse. When was the last time you set foot in The Kingdom to train and spent $700 in a month? How much of that was on spirits, hookers, and ringside seats for fights? Be honest. I doubt you will though.

I'm back in BKK tomorrow. Maybe I'll check it out as I'll be close by. It looks like it may have air con. If that's the case, I'm definitely in.

Just got back from Sinbi. The gym looks nicer than ever but I was disappointed with my trainer. I think the gym is probably much more beneficial for those newer to muay Thai, but Justine Kish from the UFC was there, so obviously some pros are getting their work in. This was the morning session, so maybe the afternoon would have been better for me. Sing is the guy who actually taught me muay Thai back in January of 2006, when he was a trainer at Rawai. It's why I stop by for at least one session, but I certainly don't feel like I'm really getting any better there. Not with the trainers I've worked with on my last few trips.

Pot was still there, still holding pads. Etc.

nice work mate
only thing I would add regarding the fight nights, these can work out expensive and unfortunately you wont be able to get in free at Lumpini or Ratchadamnern, but should get a discount through your gym if they have a fighter on the card and are connected enough. I can get a discount for all of the shows for people, not a huge amount, but it helps. Channel 7 is free and usually pretty good fights, but get there early as it gets rammed out in there. Omnoi which is just outside of Bangkok and holds the channel3 fights saturday is just 200 baht and also well worth a trip as you get some big names fight there too. Im pretty sure the channel 9 fights on a sunday are also only around 200 baht entrance so worth a trip, the channel 5 fights are at Lumpini so you have to pay the same price as any other show there 2000 for ringside

What time are these Channel 9 fights on Sunday?

Has anybody checked out Elite Boxing in Bangkok? Will be in Bangers on Nov 14 which is a Saturday. Will check it Monday for a session, as Saenchai's new gym looked furthest from my hotel. Will be back in Koh Samui on the 17th Nov if anyone's around.

Planning to check out Superpro for a week before returning back to Lamai WMC

What do you think about WMC?

Thanks to Dave Hellfighter for some of the video footage.

rom.jpg

KOR. ROMSRITHONG GYM - HOME OF COSMO ALEXANDRE

Location: Krathum Baen, Samut Sakorn... about 30kms out of Bangkok and 7kms from Siam Omnoi Stadium

It is situated beside a klong and has a pagola, pool table for the nakmuay to play when not training

As seen in the photos, the Gym proudly displays it's many trophies and photos and also the Promotion Banners... it consists of 1 boxing ring (a 2nd was being constructed while I was there), approx. 7 heavy bags and a wall mount with leg pad

The training is hard, consistent and the Owner keeps a watchful eye on the training of the nakmuay

The Trainers are very pleasant to talk to, but expect 115% from each person no matter how old they are

The nakmuay range from 14yrs and all mix-it-up with each other when it comes to grapple

I'm back in BKK tomorrow. Maybe I'll check it out as I'll be close by. It looks like it may have air con. If that's the case, I'm definitely in.

Just got back from Sinbi. The gym looks nicer than ever but I was disappointed with my trainer. I think the gym is probably much more beneficial for those newer to muay Thai, but Justine Kish from the UFC was there, so obviously some pros are getting their work in. This was the morning session, so maybe the afternoon would have been better for me. Sing is the guy who actually taught me muay Thai back in January of 2006, when he was a trainer at Rawai. It's why I stop by for at least one session, but I certainly don't feel like I'm really getting any better there. Not with the trainers I've worked with on my last few trips.

Pot was still there, still holding pads. Etc.

Who did you work with?

For those of you looking for a more rustic camp to train at, I offer KIATMUU 9 GYM Photos courtesy of Rob Cox (Anorak). Contact him for contact info and pricing.
It is located in the Buriram Province of Northeast Thailand.

Here is some history and insight into the camp written by Rob Cox

\Situated in Buriram Northeast Thailand. Kiatmuu 9 offers an outlet for young kids in what is essentially a very poor region. The name Kiatmuu 9 comes from village (muu) number 9 of Takotaphi sub district, Prakonchai district, Buriram province. The Northeast is the heartland for Muay Thai providing many of the greats over the years and Buriram stands out more than any other province in Thailand.

Often the only income is from farming and weather conditions often put paid to any real chance of making any sort of money, consequently there is a high level of poverty with Buriram suffering more than most provinces in this respect.
The village is also in an area where Thai is the second language,with the first language being a form of Khmer or Cambodian dialect.
The village is a long way from Buriram town and with not a lot for the local kids to do, it gives a real sense of pride to the community and an option for them other than falling into the lure of drugs.

The gym was started 12 years ago by Mr Sutjai Pumprakhon. A fan of Muay Thai from a young age, Sutjai
never actually fought himself, but with Buriram being such a hotbed of Muay Thai he got many opportunitys to learn the fight business inside out. He originally started out with a couple of bags hung from a tree and a mat on the earth floor. Sutjai originally wanted to have his two sons take up the art. He made steady progress with both his sons, Jedajaa and Chanaphon Kiatmuu 9, who both went on to fight under the promotional wing of SukoneSongchai.
Unable to commit themselves 100% to Muay Thai both sons stopped boxing to continue their studys. It was after they finished their studys and went to help their father run the gym that they helped to develop two outstanding young prospects and turned Kiatmuu 9 into a very special camp.

tarting out as a couple of ten year olds, Singdam and Panomrunglek have gone on to become two of the hottest fighters on the Bangkok fight circuit. Singdam was voted best fighter in Thailand for 2002 by the sportswriters of Thailand and is hot favorite to get the award this year, he has already been voted fighter of the year by both Lumpini stadium and The sports authority,and Panomrunglek won the Lumpini flyweight title to add to his collection of belts. The gym also has several other hot prospects coming through including Panomrungleks younger brother and Suadam Kiatmuu 9 younger brother of Singdam and with both Singdam and Panomrunglek being only 19 years of age, there are surely many more titles and awards on the way.

The training is like most other gyms with a 10 kilometre morning run but has a distinct advantage over the gyms in Bangkok in being surrounded by green fields and fresh clean air.
All the fighters are from the village and stay in their homes with their familys until they have a fight coming up and with the fight approaching they come to stay in Sutjai's house. The training also intensifies close to the fight with the boxers doing 8 rounds on the pads during the afternoon training session.
All of the boxers are encouraged to get an education as well as there are no certainties that they will make the grade as a boxer.

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Who did you work with?

I feel bad saying it. I don't want to blow up dude's spot. He's actually a really nice guy. I've spent some time talking to him off the mats, but the pad holding is... oof.

somebody review patong boxing gym please.

What do you think about WMC?[/QUOTE

I love it, it'll be always home to me!

But now I don't really know how good it is..

Another 2 good trainers have left, so I'm not sure who they got to fill the void and the gym doesn't sponsor foreign fighters anymore. No advance sparring or clinch partners (I don't know if that's changed)

The manager and head trainer are nice though, and many of the trainers there would still be legit/good/better than AKA or Tiger LOL. Also I prefer the group times, and the fact that it's next to the beach is a plus :cool:

I feel bad saying it. I don't want to blow up dude's spot. He's actually a really nice guy. I've spent some time talking to him off the mats, but the pad holding is... oof.

Should've kept Pot or Kimchi even

That's the problem - we've all read the Fightpassport review and he makes the place sound impossibly good, so we're desperate for more input!

So did Pot bum you off to the other trainer?

I was lucky that I had Wang when he was still alive... RIP

Shouldn't be worried about naming the lazy/off trainers.

Saves us 500Baht & an hour after all :) 55

Back