Triumph United Japanese Heatseeker Lace-up Training Glove Review

I just thought I'd chime in and give my opinion of the gloves, since a friend of mine just ordered a pair after I told them how well they were recommended. He did get the hook and loop versions however, so there may be a pretty substantial difference in terms of fit at the wrist and palm.

He got them in the 16 oz size, and the first thing I noticed was how small they looked. Mind you, I use 16 oz Twins for sparring, so I am used to the other end of the spectrum. I would definitely second the small hand compartment though, and how tight the thumb fits to the rest of the hand (I had to angle my hand into the glove to get it to fit properly), as well as how short close my middle finger came to the very edge of the glove.

Saying that, I'm sure they will get a little better once broken in, but I definitely would not recommend them if you have big hands or don't like a tight fitting glove. They also have a longer cuff then my Twins, but the lack of connective material between the two slits of the hand compartment allow good wrist flexibility for clinch work.

I got mine in a few days ago, too, and I love them but there are some things I wanted to point out. I think other posters have mentioned some of these before, but my gloves had some inconsistencies as well. Mind you, I'm not the most experienced poster here but these are just my observations.

The left side of my left glove has some weird crinkling effect in the leather that the right glove doesn't have.
h1.jpg

h2.jpg

For some reason, my right glove's padding is all weird and...ribbed? While my left gloves padding is smooth.
h4.jpg

Oh, and the little plastic end on one of my glove laces broke straight out of the bag.

Anyone else have these? I love the gloves otherwise and picked them up after reading all the praise they've received.

leather is natural and nothing in natures perfect that being said that couldve happened from bad packing i guess but i would assume it has something to do with the grain of the actuall leather. In response to the post earlier about the hook and loop i ordered a pair and they dont fit near as good as the lace up they are great gloves but they are not up to par with the laceups when it comes to fit they are somewhat loose in the palm but they still give good support and are identical to the laceups in every other way.

honestly.... you wont find a better glove out there for $40... one of the best deals i ever seen

I really need a new pair of bag/pad gloves. I'm currently using Twins 14oz boxing gloves as my sparring gloves and I don't want to use them for bag/pad work. I don't know if I should get these gloves or the Thai Kru or Thai Silencer gloves.

I really need a new pair of bag/pad gloves. I'm currently using Twins 14oz boxing gloves as my sparring gloves and I don't want to use them for bag/pad work. I don't know if I should get these gloves or the Thai Kru or Thai Silencer gloves.

I'd say do it if you don't have medium or bigger size hands and don't mind the laces on a bag glove.

The thai silencers are good gloves, for that price i would definatly buy themI have both the thai and heatseekers. They actually have good wrist support but what i really like is the snug hand compartment I can wear them without wraps and still not hurt my hands!!

Which do you like better? The only thing keeping my from getting the heatseeers is the lace up. I really prefer hook and loop (don't wanna buy the title hook and loop adapter) I'm about to put in an order, but I'm so confused as to get the Thai silencers or the heatseekers (laceup)

Which do you like better? The only thing keeping my from getting the heatseeers is the lace up. I really prefer hook and loop (don't wanna buy the title hook and loop adapter) I'm about to put in an order, but I'm so confused as to get the Thai silencers or the heatseekers (laceup)

The Thai Silencers have a lot harder padding imo. The heatseekers seem a lot more comfortable and higher quality to me. The silencers also have a tighter hand compartment. They would be good for bag/pad work though.

honestly.... you wont find a better glove out there for $40... one of the best deals i ever seen

It's f*ckin $70 now. I was going to order it but I decided to just put on my christmas list. I'm sure whoever has me as their secret santa did not order it in time to get if for $40.

It's f*ckin $70 now. I was going to order it but I decided to just put on my christmas list. I'm sure whoever has me as their secret santa did not order it in time to get if for $40.

titleboxing I believe still has them for 40.

titleboxing I believe still has them for 40.

Yea I saw it and ordered some in black 14 oz. There's a problem though, It says that they dont have my account info when I log in. I guess i'll have to call them tomorrow.

Hey Guys,

So Friday night, a day after reading pretty much this whole thread, I went online to titleboxing.com and ordered the Heatseekers in black 16-oz lace-up, plus the Title HnL converters. (Normally I call in orders but didn't want to wait, since the Heatseekers were back at $39.99 and you guys were commenting that the price kept going back and forth -- wanted to grab 'em while they were hot.:)

E-mail confirm indicated that both items are on backorder: HnL's are expected back in stock in February, and the Heatseekers (black 16-oz lace-up) not until April. I don't mind waiting.

Just want to say thanks for an incredible review and thread. Thanks to Clamp for the original review and pics, the follow-up stuff, and the great tutorial on lacing up gloves. Also thanks to Mumrik for his contributions including additional perspectives and pics and alternative way of fitting. And then to Nameless One and other guys for the incredible idea (dtravis92's originally?) of the 3/8" elastic laces -- what a great idea! And to all the other guys on this thread.

This is an incredibly educational thread all by itself. Not just the perspectives on all the different kinds of gloves out there (a pretty good group, at least), but now I'm convinced that lace-ups are the way to go. I've got something like 2 dozen pairs of gloves of all kinds -- mostly bag and training/sparring -- and they're all hook-and-loop. I just thought that was the way to go, for convenience in putting on and taking off. But seeing the difference in padding of the inside wrist area on lace-ups versus HnL, especially through those pics, was very convincing. The elastic laces might be the way to go, from the sound of it, in terms of easy on/off with lace-ups. I'm looking forward to trying this all when the gloves do come in, or another pair of lace-ups if I get one sooner (I'll try elastic laces). I do have elastic lace covers from both Title and Ringside, so I might try those. I also plan to get the HnL converters from Ringside, just to compare and check 'em out.

I don't even remember if this is my first post -- I think so. I've been lurking for a couple of years. I've been doing KM for 3 years and boxing for 2, soon also to try MT, and then eventually BJJ. My only use for gloves right now is bag and pad work, with an occasional sparring set but I expect to be doing more sparring down the line. By the way, I discovered combat sports at 53, and I only wish I'd gotten into it much earlier. It's great fun, although I've caught some wicked head shots and they can really rattle you. But then again, it's all part of the game.

You guys slay me. Every time I read one of these reviews I end up buying at least one more pair of gloves or whatever it is you're reviewing. But you guys are right on target -- I've never gone wrong with anything I've ordered based on your reviews. So hat's off (or headgear off, or whatever:).

Oh, and the pics you guys post are like p*rn for gear-whores such as myself.

FWIW, my gloves range from Reyes and Top Ten at the top (still want to get Grant and Winning) down to Title Gel, Ringside IMF-Tech (these are actually very, very good), Tuf-Wear, and KO at the "bottom," realizing that these last 4 are actually quite good, especially for the value. Wish I could gather them all for a "family portrait" like you guys do, but you've seen 'em all.

Hey Clamp - You have a lot of gloves. If you had to list your top 5 or 10 favorite pairs, any purpose (bag, pad, sparring, training, whatever), and no particular criteria but just overall, how would you rank your top 5 or 10? (I love my Cletos 'cause they feel and smell good, and I just love the way they feel when you hit the bag; and I love Top Ten because of the protection they give my hands -- you take 'em off after banging away and your hands feel like they haven't done anything at all.)

Thanks, guys!

Steve

PS - I chose the handle 'cause it seemed kind of clever at the time, but my hook punch needs a *lot* of work and in fact I keep injuring my right wrist doing the KM version of the hook punch (I'm right-handed).

PPS - One last thing: Of all the gloves I have and have tried, and based on what I've read from you guys in various threads about wrist support, I've come to the conclusion that you can't rely on a glove to give you proper wrist support that will prevent injury or bending of the wrist during a punch or strike -- either inward in a wrist-curl, or outward in a reverse wrist-curl, or toward the thumb side, or toward the pinky side. It's my semi-educated belief that you have to rely on handwraps and other items (sleeves, supports, etc.) to really keep your wrist from bending during a punch/strike. From the top brands I have down to the lowest priced models, the wrist support offered by the glove's sleeve or wrist compartment is inadequate. Reyes bends (as others have noted), even Top Ten does. If you punch hard enough, it looks like just about any glove is going to bend at the wrist. I'm also researching techniques for improving hand strength and health, and that looks to provide a real answer. (Check out ironmind.com and also get "Mastery of Hand Strength," revised edition, by John Brookfield.) I honestly feel that building hand strength is the only way to avoid injury such as the one I keep getting. But I'm open to any other thoughts you guys have on this one. (I haven't had time to search other threads for this topic.)

Back to 40 on titlemma again last time I checked. Curious how many of heatseakers and silencers they've actually sold at that low pricepoint.

they got the new ones coming out. thats why they're so cheap. good gloves.

Sorry Hookman for not getting back to you sooner. I was on vacation in Florida. It sure was hot out there on some days. The other days it was raining and cold.

My top 5 favorite gloves I've either owned or used in no particular order:

Winning
TU Heatseekers
Cletos
KO FG
Ringside Safety Training gloves

I will say one of my favorite equipment companies is Ringside, almost every pair I've owned from them was really well made.

Awesome, Clamp! Thanks so much, that's great!! :)

Can't wait for the TU Heatseekers to come in. April... :/

Definitely will have to get a pair of Winnings -- will start saving up. :)

I completely agree about Ringside. They really deliver.

Love my Cletos, and KO FG is a good solid product. (Used my pair today in boxing class.)

I'll have to look for those Ringside Safety Training Gloves. I've seen them in the catalog, and they sure look tough.

Thanks again, man! That's a big help.

-Steve

Back