VIDEO: Ryan Hall v Hermes Franca

Great match. Slick jiu jitsu! Hall's guard is like a freaking impossible web to get through.

Watched the back take 15 times.

I think it's the best advert possible for his back taking dvd.

I'm all for pulling guard but I feel you really should have to bring the guy down with you if you're gonna do it. It's almost unfair that Hall just plops down and Hermes is forced to engage him. I agree that you aren't allowed to disengage, as in stand back up once it's already on the mat, but you shouldn't be forced to engage a guard player at the start of a match if he plops down, he should have to jump closed guard or get some solid control and bring you down into his open guard. Or you take 2 points away from the guy who sits on his butt and then make the other guy engage.

Don't most BJJ comps require you to get grips before you pull guard?

That back take was so sick, I literally barfed...it doesn't smell good either.

Yeah, the ADCC rule where they stand up the butt scooter is great. Also, Bravo must be happy, he has talked about that twister to back transition since a long time ago (though not from the 50/50)

Yeah, the ADCC rule where they stand up the butt scooter is great. Also, Bravo must be happy, he has talked about that twister to back transition since a long time ago (though not from the 50/50)

it wasnt from 5050

i hate the butt scoot, you should have to jump guard or stand back up or lose two points for the take down. other than that it was a great match.

Awesome match! That back take was amazing

These 'sagittal' (as someone so elegantly put it in a video breakdown of Rafa Mendes' game recently) back-takes from various leg entanglements are proving themselves to be very effective on the competition scene lately. I'm becoming more and more of a back-taker these days, so this is something I'll have to look more into.

So yeah, his DVD on attacking the back is going to be SICK.

Man Hall just stays so damn calm. That back take was insane!!! I can't stop watching it.

Back