Should i take Boxing, Kickboxing, or MMA?

Danny51

White Belt
Reaction score
Im 14, 5'7 and 125 pounds. I recently became interested i joining Some kind of martial art for conditioning and self defence/ knowing how to fight. I feel like I'd enjoy pure boxing more then kickboxing because of pure fist fighting, but maybe it would be better to learn kickboxing. MMA is also a choice for me as it has many styles mixed but i feel as if it will take very long to learn this as well. Im looking for a fighting style from these 3 that will be the Best for me, Easiest/fastest to learn, though i know none will be easy, im looking for one which down tot he core is a bit easier.as i said before I have more interest in boxing but many of my friends take muay thai and recommend i take that because of the more all around fighting and utilizing fists knees, elbows, and feet. Also I dont want to sound like a ***** but im worried about breaking my nose, will this happen? or will this only happen when i go full out in competitions, etc.Im from mississauga and looking into Kombat Arts and Evolution Mafa. So please help me out!

Take some trial classes at each. Get a feel for the arts, the environment of the schools and the instructors.

That will be the best way to judge what to take.

If you can try them all out. And believe me, none of them are easier to learn then any other. Learning the ins and outs of Boxing, Kickboxing, mma, or/and muay thai is incredibly difficult. Just because boxing doesn't have elbows and kicks it doesn't mean it is any easier to defend or attack because there are certain things that work in boxing, that don't work in muay thai and vice versa. Same applies to MMA.
Whether or not you brake your nose depends on how good your defense is, your sparring partner, how much your nose can take, how hard you spar and dumb luck. It's impossible to know, but I can tell you no matter which you chose you're gonna get some bumps and bruises.

If you're really worried about your nose, get headgear with face protection, like the Winning FG-5000
headgear_fg5000.jpg

Most headgear manufacturers have some variation on that design, if you don't want to pony up the $370 the Winning one costs.

If you are worried about your nose try golf or ping pong.....

Try them all, see which you like best.

5'7" but 125 lbs? lol hit the weights man.

5'7" but 125 lbs? lol hit the weights man.

Why is that funny. 5'7" 125 pounds is not that out of the ordinary, plus he is 14 so he hasn't filled in yet, so get off his back. And to the OP, I would suggest boxing to you because that sounds like where your heart is at. I take MMA and I love it, but you have to absolutely love all of the aspects, even the ground game, to enjoy it. So go with what YOU like the best, not what your friends tell you. Just because they like Muay Thai, doesn't mean you will.

LOL, kid is fourteen and people are making fun of his weight? Internet warriors over here.

Try them all if you can, but I know financially that can be a pain... I'd opt for boxing or kick boxing. I'm one of those guys who thinks you should have a core before just jumping into MMA. It really is all about the school though, much less about the art.

Thanks guys PreDaToRTacTiCs thats a good point, Im mainly leaning towards boxing and muay thai. I also have 2 good schools in mind, kombat arts and evolution but im still not sure which of the two i will go to.

You're young, get into boxing, Most would agree that it's a good base anyway if you want to try others in the future.

One of the easiest to pick up quickly as well.

If you're worried about your nose than just take classes and do not spar. I recommend you take Muay Thai and Boxing

Try them all out, take whichever you like the best. And don't listen to the idiots talking about your weight, you'll probably fill out plenty in the next 4 years or so.

Try em all, you seem to like boxing but have friends doing MT, I would suggest one of them.

Probably the MT just because your friends are doing it will mean you can do stuff with people outside of class for extra training.

no and no.

Ummm no, I've seen young people train in boxing for one year and they have the fundamentals down to pat.
Not the same with kickboxing, some people train for years n look like they've just started yesterday.

idk maybe kb schools are bad in my city, but I'll still stick by what i said thanks.

Boxing is more than enough for self defense. Since you enjoy it more, I'd definitely go with that over kickboxing. MMA is problematic for self defense - it's not designed for that.

Start with either kickboxing or boxing, or maybe even both, they compliment each other to no end. The MMA part will come later, you will do better at that with proficiency in something else first.

Back