How effective is the jab or leg kicks/knees in real fight?

DD Kong

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys was just wondering a quick question. I just train boxing and kickboxing for exercise and fun but I of course train to help with self defense to. Now I'm not posting some stupid thread asking about how to fight against people with knifes/guns/ etc, and I know the best thing to do is run away. But if I was put in a position where I had to fight, how effective is a jab, and/or leg kicks/knees in a street fight?

Because in street fights it's usually a minute or so of just heavy power punches, and if I was attacked by an untrained person and he's obviously going to be coming at me with his home run overhand right, would it smarter to jab and move or just get in there and throw my power shots as well.

If anyone here has seen any fights that the jab or leg kicks/knees has helped, or just if they think it is most definitely worth it then please let me know.

Thanks

Last edited:
For what its worth Frank shamrock advocated the knee kick/leg kick over the nut shot in self defense situations

Last edited:
Good question...

Knees are very useful in a street situation. Ill go back to that later. The jab, honestly, shouldnt be used a ton. Street fights are over pretty quickly so maybe a jab to distract him and take his back or jab to set up for something else. But ive never seen or been in a street fight where a guy just used a bunch of jabs. Doesnt mean it cant work. But I dont use it.

Leg kicks are a tricky thing in a street fight. Its a great strike and usually catches people off guard but it isnt a fight ender..and thats what you are looking for in a street situation. End the threat. Said another way, when sparring and you land a perfect leg kick (unchecked) your opponnent can still come at you no problem for that round. He wont feel the kick for a little while if not later that day. So yeah, if you want this dude to walk funny later that night go for the leg kick but just keep your guard because his adrenaline will keep him coming through your leg kick

A Knee to the stomach hurts a ton. A knee to the face is a fight ender. And you dont have the chance of breaking your hand

Last edited:
Good questions. Knees are very useful in a street situation. The jab, honestly, shouldnt be used a ton. Street fights are over pretty quickly so maybe a jab to distract him and take his back.

how about teeps to the the knees? distract with punches, and try to hyperextend that lead leg's knee. if it works, swarm with a flurry of power shots to the head. maybe?

Do a power jab instead of a jab. It's self defense, not sparring.

Seems a lot of people have never been jabbed right on the nose with bare knuckles before...

Seems a lot of people have never been jabbed right on the nose with bare knuckles before...

This, the jab I would argue is even more effective in a street fight than a boxing match. A good snapping jab could easily end a street fight with an untrained person in one punch. Especially if they're windmilling punches and opening themselves up to it even more.
And don't even start on leg kicks haha. Someone who has never been kicked in the leg before will be done after one good leg kick. It's something you would never expect if you don't train in muay thai and it would land flush and undefended.

I'm with Sinister on this one, I just think instead of getting into the swinging for the fences and breaking hands on their head game, some snappy jabs down the pipe to the nose will ruin anyones day that doesn't train.

Good question...

Knees are very useful in a street situation. Ill go back to that later. The jab, honestly, shouldnt be used a ton. Street fights are over pretty quickly so maybe a jab to distract him and take his back or jab to set up for something else. But ive never seen or been in a street fight where a guy just used a bunch of jabs. Doesnt mean it cant work. But I dont use it.

Thanks for your reply, I didn't mean just using jabs the whole time. I just meant instead of swinging nonstop power punches like my opponent would be doing would it be smarter to set my straight right/left hook up with some jabs.

I'm with Sinister on this one, I just think instead of getting into the swinging for the fences and breaking hands on their head game, some snappy jabs down the pipe to the nose will ruin anyones day that doesn't train.

It's exactly in this manner that the jab was invented in the first place.

That's the reason I was so curious about it. It seems like that's why it's such a great tool because it can stop someone throwing a power punch in their tracks. So if someone is winging a home run right hand at me would it be better to cover up and then jab or try and beat them to the punch?

Also I should note that I'm 5'9 which is obviously shorter than average so the jab does become a lot more difficult.

It shouldn't, an upward jab is far more effective a tool than a downward one.

What sinister said, and as well...
Have you ever been kicked before?

Even by a novice, that shit hurts.

The only time ive ever been unable to continue in a fight, from sparring, to competition, to streetfighting was getting kicked in the chest by a lower belt who timed my shit.

It's a million times worse on your leg, that's no bueno.

Thanks for your reply, I didn't mean just using jabs the whole time. I just meant instead of swinging nonstop power punches like my opponent would be doing would it be smarter to set my straight right/left hook up with some jabs.

The windmill is not the way to go, of course. But since you have trained a little bit you probably know that already. Think one jab then crush them with what you have coming after. Im not against hooks, but straight punches have ended many a street fight in my opinion

Really? Do you know of any fighters I could check out that used an upward jab successfully?

Vitali Klitschko.

I know it sounds weird, but he uses an upward jab even against shorter guys.

Da Speeit yes I've been kicked before and I know first hand how much leg and body kicks are a game changer. But at the same time I still picture that more of a sparring or gentlemen's fight just because that means your both squared up with space and moving around.

Street fightings a little different because it's an anger fueled dude bum rushing you and closing the distance. If it was more like a boxing/kickboxing match where you can't just bum rush and win because you'll gas out then that's where leg kicks/body shots really dominate. But odds are in a real fight it's going to be some pissed off dude who's going to charge at me winging overhands where as I could probably get off one leg kick before he's at me.

Vitali Klitschko.

I know it sounds weird, but he uses an upward jab even against shorter guys.

haha seriously? I'm not the most knowledgeable with combat sports, but how exactly does one of the tallest men in boxing do an upward jab? I do think Klitschko is a great example of an excellent jab/power jab, but I wasn't exactly trying to emulate him considering he'll have a reach advantage on just about everyone where as for me I'm about Mike Tyson's height hah.

Hey DD Kong, one last thing I use heavily in street situations is elbows. If the guy closes the distance on you, he is in range for those!:)

my master teaches us a lot about street fights and self defense. He says you do a couple jabs and try a knock out punch to "test the water" so to speak. See if they even know what they're doing, cause most people never had martial arts training.

As for leg kicks he says kick the bladder and they'll be done

It's self defense, not sparring.
^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back