How effective is the jab or leg kicks/knees in real fight?

That sounds smart just to keep them thinking with the jab instead of loading up right away.

And I'm sorry but a body kick will absolutely ruin a man, but I can guarantee you won't get an opportunity to throw one in a street fight. That stuffs for the gym man.

Da Speeit yes I've been kicked before and I know first hand how much leg and body kicks are a game changer. But at the same time I still picture that more of a sparring or gentlemen's fight just because that means your both squared up with space and moving around.

Street fightings a little different because it's an anger fueled dude bum rushing you and closing the distance. If it was more like a boxing/kickboxing match where you can't just bum rush and win because you'll gas out then that's where leg kicks/body shots really dominate. But odds are in a real fight it's going to be some pissed off dude who's going to charge at me winging overhands where as I could probably get off one leg kick before he's at me.

ive been in more streets fight than i can count (cause im so tough bro!), and i wish i was smart enough to kick more.

If one of those scrub tough guys come at you and you throw a teep trong to their breadbasket, it's over, dude, you can wail on them until you get pulled off.

People are stupid when they fight, because other people are usually around.

When you get up in a guy's face, you dont have room to kick, jab or doing anything remotely intelligent that is focused upon in sparring.

Ive been kicked in a street fight, and it sucks.
If the kid knew what he was doing, he could have seriously put me in a bad position.

And I'm sorry but a body kick will absolutely ruin a man, but I can guarantee you won't get an opportunity to throw one in a street fight. That stuffs for the gym man.

Yeah, if you dont know how to kick.

If youre a good kicker, and youve been doing it your whole life, there's no reason you shouldnt be able to do it in a street fight, at all.

When you get up in a guy's face, you dont have room to kick, jab or doing anything remotely intelligent that is focused upon in sparring.

cuz im tough bro hahah damn i wish i had your street cred dawg.

I'm not getting up in a guy's face. I dont provoke fights ever and getting up in someone's face is stupid no matter who you are. But every affliction wearing bro'd out tough guy will come in my face and will be bum rushing me like I stole something. I would of course prefer to fight from the outside because I know I could dominate a point fight like that. But street fights are brawls and this isn't a jackie chan movie, however when they're coming in is when I'm curious would be a good time to jab and set up right hand/left hook or try and circle out with a few jabs to follow up with a right after that.

Yeah, if you dont know how to kick.

If youre a good kicker, and youve been doing it your whole life, there's no reason you shouldnt be able to do it in a street fight, at all.

I'm not a great kicker, decent but not great. But I just think it's a bad move in a street fight because the average tough guy that is going to get in my face is either throwing a big right hand or going straight for a football tackle/double leg. I don't think a kick is a good counter for either one of those man and I'm not gonna throw my leg out there and give him a ticket to put me on my back and pound me out.

I know the effectiveness of a kicks, leg/body/head kicks all fuckin destroy, and if I was fighting these guys in a ring/cage I would use them. But I don't think it's a smart move for the street at all. One kick is not going to stop a douchebag from charging me, and it may be all he needs to put me on the ground where I may be stuck.

Well, those things work in the ring because they work in real fights.

Before i started boxing and messing around with kickboxing a little, i used to get in sloppy fights where i'd just hockey clinch a guy and let him punch me until he was tired.

After i learned the art of getting around guys and keeping them at distance, it wasnt even competative.

It's about speed and knowledge and practice, really.

My kicks are ugly as fuck, they really are, but realistically, ive been kicking for a long ass time, probably since before you were born (im really not old, im just under the impression youre a youngan, right? this isnt a thread someone passed high school would make :D) and i throw one like nothing. It's natural, my body's used to it, and i know where it's going to go and i know my range.

The same with the jab.

When i introduced myself to boxing, that's all i practiced.
Jab, jab, jab, jab.

I know where it's going, i know where it will end and i know how fast i can bring it back.

When you have that confidence in technique, you can use them properly.

Which, get ready for it all to come together Inception style...

is why you spar.

Hit a gym, man, work on your stuff, it'll make sense.

I'm not a great kicker, decent but not great. But I just think it's a bad move in a street fight because the average tough guy that is going to get in my face is either throwing a big right hand or going straight for a football tackle/double leg. I don't think a kick is a good counter for either one of those man and I'm not gonna throw my leg out there and give him a ticket to put me on my back and pound me out.

I know the effectiveness of a kicks, leg/body/head kicks all fuckin destroy, and if I was fighting these guys in a ring/cage I would use them. But I don't think it's a smart move for the street at all. One kick is not going to stop a douchebag from charging me, and it may be all he needs to put me on the ground where I may be stuck.

Which is wh you put your hands up or sway your hips backward when you kick.
I cant think of a punch that leaves you less exposed than a Teep Trong.

Kicks are smart and effective, which is why theyve been the base of just about every fighting style other than Western Boxing.

They work, theyre effective; hundreds of years isnt going to change that in a sherdog thread

I respect your opinion man but I disagree.

The reason the ring is different is because the fights gonna be 15 minutes or longer and bumrushing is a stupid ass tactic because you will gas in seconds. So there's a feeling out period and there's space in almost all matches.

However on the street this meathead is not thinking long distance at all, hes gonna be 100% fresh throwing huge right hands or football tackling me, and yes will gas in around a minute.

I've seen too many good strikers get taken down off kicks and my back is not where I wanna be on the street. Especially considering there's a damn good chance these bro'dos have done wrestling or football in their highschool career and could sure as fuck grab my leg and get a much easier takedown. If it was backyard fighting with gloves of course I would be throwing kicks because they tear shit up and keep you from being predictable. But I don't think they're practical at all for a 1 or 2 minute street fight.

Haha and yes you're right I'm only 19. Which is obvious to anyone because what kinda 30 year old guy would post a thread asking about street fights? I've talked my way out (bitched out) of all chances for a street fight. I basically kiss the guys ass just so I don't provoke a fight.

And yes I do train/spar. I've been out for a few months because I moved but I've been training at an MMA gym for about a year. I posted this because I was curious as to what approach I should have for a fight. Setting up with jabs or basically just getting caught in a power punching game which I do have better odds on considering my technique will be better.

You can disagree all you want, but it's not a matter of opinion, at all.
Youre wrong, man.

If he's "Winding up" for that shot, he's not going to be able to take you down with some Ben Askren single leg from a Teep.

Hell, you could kick the guy on his hip and he'll fall on his ass.

Youre speaking from limited experience and knowledge, and generally just not listening to other people's points because you wont abandon your own

You can disagree all you want, but it's not a matter of opinion, at all.
Youre wrong, man.

in which way do you think a kick is practical at a tapout wearing roidhead on the street?

front kick- will definitely catch that shit and take me down

leg kick- even if it lands clean his adrenaline will be to amped to feel it at the time, this isnt a 3 round fight where you can wear him down

body and head kick- you will have space for possibly one of these before they get a hold of you

I was of the same opinion, honestly.
When i was 13-14, living in rural texas, kicking someone made you a ***.

Then i fought some kid who kicked my ass previously, for the second time and kneed him in the face when he kept dropping his head over and over, which is exactly why he kicked my ass the first time; why the hell would i waste my time digging my hips into a punch as he's "swinging for the fence" as he's literally shoving his face into my knee?

These questions you have were asked hundreds and hundreds of years ago and you know what people invented to deal with them?
The Jab, kicks, and knees.

in which way do you think a kick is practical at a tapout wearing roidhead on the street?

leg kick- even if it lands clean his adrenaline will be to amped to feel it at the time, this isnt a 3 round fight where you can wear him down

body and head kick- you will have space for possibly one of these before they get a hold of you

If he can catch your front kick, you suck at throwing them and have no business doing so
  • The same way that if you dont know how to bring your jab back, which is really the most important part, youre going to get your ass kicked.
  • Or if you dont know how to circle off of throwing a right, youre going to get your ass kicked.
  • Or if you dont know how to turn on your backfoot with a right hook, youre going to get your ass kicked
  • Or if you dont know how to throw your hips into a lead hook, youre going to get your ass kicked

Everything has it's foil.
Youre basically saying you shouldnt use your rooks in a game of chess because someone's queen may beat it.

Speaking from personal experience, not just philosophy...

Teeps and jabs are so easy to use in a street fight.

I ended a fight about a year ago, at a ghetto liquor store parking lot by my house, with a simple combo. I fed him a light solid jab and then chopped the inside of his leg as hard as i could. He literally fell to his ass like a bitch. I told him I don't wanna fight and he said "ok". I jumped in my car and left. When I pulled out of the parking lot I heard him tell his friend "I think my leg is broken". I seriously feel bad for the guy, I think he was just trying to prove to his friends he wasn't a pussy. I hope i didn't hurt him.

I teeped a druggie over a low wall one time. I hope he hit his head and died though. Dude, was threatening to pull a knife on me and my sister.

Everyone already knows what this guy does with the jab.

It's not about kicks being p*ssy or anything like that. I've just never seen a great or effective kick in a street fight (excluding a few crazy youtube videos of kids jumping in the air and getting lucky haha)

Of course there's a counter to anything. He could counter my right hand and knock me out. But I'm being practical and saying that in the ring Kickboxer > Boxer because he has more tools and the boxer can't take leg kicks. But I have yet to see enough legitimate street fights to prove to me that kicks are a great weapon on the street. I do believe if they're low and you can get a clinch like you said knees are a powerful ass weapon and great because they don't break like your hands. But that all just depends on opportunity.

I'm pretty sure just about all street fights end in punches or knees? I'm not saying just wing right hands because that's your most powerful shot. Because I posted this curious as to peoples opinions on kicks too, but more so interested on jabs setting up your right hand/left hook

EDIT- I understand what you mean by the rook metaphor, your saying why have the mindset to not jab/kick just because a power punch is the finisher. I'm not arguing that because I believe you should set up power punches with jabs but what I'm saying is during an adrenaline filled street fight kicks aren't going to be one of your great tools.

Last edited:

Everyone already knows what this guy does with the jab.

rofl at the first comment. "dude kites like a boss"

perfect example of someone with fighting experience, who looked like they trained at least a little, against a group of 3 average enraged animals. white shirt got gtfo'd

just practice a ton. kicks jabs elbows anything. The more you practice the more confident you are, meaning you can think clearly and not panic.

If he can catch your front kick, you suck at throwing them and have no business doing so
  • The same way that if you dont know how to bring your jab back, which is really the most important part, youre going to get your ass kicked.
  • Or if you dont know how to circle off of throwing a right, youre going to get your ass kicked.
  • Or if you dont know how to turn on your backfoot with a right hook, youre going to get your ass kicked
  • Or if you dont know how to throw your hips into a lead hook, youre going to get your ass kicked

Every move has its risk but the difference is these punches don't give my opponent a take down. Kicks do.

DD, just stop man, im sorry, ive been nice, but youre just spewing bs at this point.

If you throw a right hook improperly and someone bobs it, they can take you down.

You should be bringing a frontkick back even quicker than you push it out.

As i said, if someone comes at you off-balanced and open and you cant kick them, then you frankly just suck at kicking.

Youre working off of dumb MMA Cliche's and not actual fighting.

Does it blow your mind that you can take someone down in Muay Thai smokers?
It's crazy that they kick, isnt it?

Last edited:
Vitali Klitschko.

I know it sounds weird, but he uses an upward jab even against shorter guys.

haha seriously? I'm not the most knowledgeable with combat sports, but how exactly does one of the tallest men in boxing do an upward jab? I do think Klitschko is a great example of an excellent jab/power jab, but I wasn't exactly trying to emulate him considering he'll have a reach advantage on just about everyone where as for me I'm about Mike Tyson's height hah.

Correct me if I am wrong but Sinister he can do it because of the way he holds his hands isn't it? His lead hand is always down like by his waist isn't it?

Might be hard to see:
1738532_o.gif

Who the tit are you fighting? Jon Fitch? Most street fights I have seen don't hit the ground until someone lands well.

DD, just stop man, im sorry, ive been nice, but youre just spewing bs at this point.

If you throw a right hook improperly and someone bobs it, they can take you down.

You should be bringing a frontkick back even quicker than you push it out.

As i said, if someone comes at you off-balanced and open and you cant kick them, then you frankly just suck at kicking.

Youre working off of dumb MMA Cliche's and not actual fighting.

Does it blow your mind that you can take someone down in Muay Thai smokers?
It's crazy that they kick, isnt it?

I'm not arguing that man, I'm sure I could get a kick off at an off-balanced open target. But that's not gonna slow down any pissed off tough guy from getting right in my face where kicks are useless, maybe jabs will though. But you're right I'm sure if I got good enough at front kicks you can execute them without gettin your foot grabbed. No but it does blow my mind how often guys get taken down in muay thai fights because their opponent catches a kick and sweeps him over easier than getting paris hilton in the sack.

Back