Marquez versus Pacquiao 3 November 12 fight discussion (DON'T START NEW ONES)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What other pro fighters are saying is "Marquez won."

I don't disagree and my original post was about Khan telling Pac to retire; Khan talking about a fight with Mayweather even though it won't happen for at least 2 years; Khan talking about conspiracies when him and Manny don't spar together. Khan has a tendency to open his mouth to the press for the sake of his name being in the press. He promotes himself well and bravo to him; but I don't confuse it for any sort of thoughtful analysis. Even before, and during a good portion of, the fight Khan was talking about how Manny was the best Amir's ever seen him. Manny had a close fight with a man he's had two close fights with. There's no reason for any kind of talk of "slipping". Saturday night Manny wasn't any different than the Manny that fought Mosley or Margarito or Cotto. The only thing different was the opponent.

I don't disagree and my original post was about Khan telling Pac to retire; Khan talking about a fight with Mayweather even though it won't happen for at least 2 years; Khan talking about conspiracies when him and Manny don't spar together. Khan has a tendency to open his mouth to the press for the sake of his name being in the press. He promotes himself well and bravo to him; but I don't confuse it for any sort of thoughtful analysis. Even before, and during a good portion of, the fight Khan was talking about how Manny was the best Amir's ever seen him. Manny had a close fight with a man he's had two close fights with. There's no reason for any kind of talk of "slipping". Saturday night Manny wasn't any different than the Manny that fought Mosley or Margarito or Cotto. The only thing different was the opponent.

That is the problem. If that is the same Manny, if he had problems finding Marquez and dealing with marquez's counterpunches, imagine the problems Mayweather will give Pacquiao stylistically. Compared to Marquez, Mayweather is better counter puncher, has better timing, better defense, better footwork, better cardio, taller, more reach, bigger, faster, stronger. Manny is still a beast but it seems evident that counterpunchers is his stylistic weakness and nobody counters better than Floyd.

get over it ! pacman won.. crybabies!!
your fraud maynever still wont fight the little fella.

He also doesn't have 24 previous rounds of experience with Manny.

I think Mayweather wins that fight. I thought that before Saturday night as well. We didn't see any weakness in Manny that wasn't there before. And certainly nothing to assume that he would sustain a career ending beating that would warrant retiring before the fact.

Atleast Khan is no promoters bitch and will step in there with Money! Atleast Bredis Prescott is still fighting, can you even name the two bums that koed Pac without the help of boxrec?
I'm tired of the mexican midget slayer (who just lost) and chicken floyd duckin' and dodging to save their "legacy"..

Respect to the kid for calling pac's bs "victory", and calling out the prima donna.. Hope he pulls the upset while he is at it

P4P dumbest post I have read this month. an yes this includes HW section. You are so stupid you make Dynamo and Teflon looks like Kid McCoys equal.

The foot stomps seem deliberate because they get his whole foot...several times and he was looking to counter his strikes. There's a video somewhere where Marquez fans argue Manny did the same. What I saw there was Manny barely on his foot. A boxer is going to avoid the foot stomp because that's controllable. I'm southpaw. I avoid it because it's not right and because I want to get the guy at a different angle. That's my experience. I'm sure Marquez had a lot of practice with southpaws these past few months.

He also doesn't have 24 previous rounds of experience with Manny.

I think Mayweather wins that fight. I thought that before Saturday night as well. We didn't see any weakness in Manny that wasn't there before. And certainly nothing to assume that he would sustain a career ending beating that would warrant retiring before the fact.

24 rounds or not, the first 2 fights were controversial as well with many believing Marquez won. So it's not like Marquez suddenly knows how to fight Pac all of a sudden because of his first 2 fights. And if the 24 rounds applies to Marquez, it should apply to Pacquiao as well because he fought him twice too. The 24 round thing is an excuse, the truth is, it's styles that make fights. It didn't take Floyd 24 rounds to figure out Marquez, it took him 1-2 rounds. Floyd adapts during the fight. He figures you out then picks you apart.

Why is it an issue what MMA fans think about boxing's worldwide popularity? I don't lose sleep over it.

It's more about educating the ignorant really.

A sport cannot be dying or dead if 100 million people are tuning into in on the regular.

Average ratings of 1 million viewers on a premium cable channel that charges 18.99 monthly domestically doesn't equate to a dead sport. Is it a lower figure than what the sport has garnered in the past? Yes.

Does that means that it's dead?

Nope.

It just means it's popularity domestically has waned a bit but boxing has ALWAYS been a star driven sport.

ALWAYS. MMA is going that way as well.

More like ufc-tards are completely ignorant of boxing's global reach.

Just by reading the forums here, people made it sound like Fedor was HUGE in Russia, until the Russian Sherdog posters came in and said nobody knows who Fedor is

The foot stomps seem deliberate because they get his whole foot...several times and he was looking to counter his strikes. There's a video somewhere where Marquez fans argue Manny did the same. What I saw there was Manny barely on his foot. A boxer is going to avoid the foot stomp because that's controllable. I'm southpaw. I avoid it because it's not right and because I want to get the guy at a different angle. That's my experience. I'm sure Marquez had a lot of practice with southpaws these past few months.

But a boxer is going to fight for position too. It's a common thing. Why does a fighter who won the fight need an excuse for why he won anyways? The whole foot stopper excuse is like admitting Marquez won.

24 rounds or not, the first 2 fights were controversial as well with many believing Marquez won. So it's not like Marquez suddenly knows how to fight Pac all of a sudden because of his first 2 fights. And if the 24 rounds applies to Marquez, it should apply to Pacquiao as well because he fought him twice too.

For the sake of argument, fine. Take that comment out. I could defend it by saying that Manny doesn't adapt as well as Marquez, and as time goes on Juan will benefit more than Pac from experience. He's more cerebral. But, for the sake of argument, let's forget that all together.

The 24 round thing is an excuse, the truth is, it's styles that make fights.

Excuse for what?

It didn't take Floyd 24 rounds to figure out Marquez, it took him 1-2 rounds. Floyd adapts during the fight. He figures you out then picks you apart.

And that's why Manny should retire? That's really the only thing at contention here. Amir said Manny should retire based on what he's saw Saturday night. Nothing we saw Saturday night suggests he takes a career end-beating that warrants retiring before the fact. Please address that, because that's all I'm talking about and it feels like you keep going around for the sake of arguing.

Bob Arum's such a prick. I used to hate on Dana quite a bit, but at least he has some semblance of charisma. Arum is the worst kind of businessman.

Kind of misleading, since that's what Arum anticipates is the number, not what it actually is.

$1.3M American PPV buys brings in more revenue than $43M Mexican veiwers. That's the difference and that's why PPV numbers are what's important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back