Marquez versus Pacquiao 3 November 12 fight discussion (DON'T START NEW ONES)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really understand why everyone is calling this fight a robbery. I've watched the fight several times, and while Marquez did land the most effective punches, there were some rounds where he was really ineffective and inactive. The fight was close and could have gone either way, far from a robbery. Each round is scored individually and there were a lot of really close rounds, Marquez didn't do enough to call this a robbery. Quite frankly, I don't know what EITHER FIGHTER was thinking, their first two fights were so close that you would expect them to be more proactive for the purpose winning rounds/points.

I'm not a fan of Pac at all just as a disclaimer.

A good boxer wouldn't resort to that...consistently. That's why they train footwork and train with southpaws and orthodox fighters. He clearly steps on his foot and leaves it there.

This isn't an excuse, but to show how some people box. Despite an impressive performance Marquez put on...it appears that it wasn't all well earned, either.

It's common when a left handed fight fights a right handed fighter because both fighters are fighting for position with their lead foot. It happens, all boxers know that. There is another video in response to the Marquez one that showed Pacquiao was stepping on Marquez as well. If it were a deliberate tactic, Roach and Pacquiao would have said something to the ref. It wasn't a problem because it's a common thing. But how does the Foot Stoppers explain the rest of the fight where Marquez countered Pacquiao without stepping on pac. Those foot steps account for a few seconds in a 36 minute fight.

seriously, as someone else said, who gives a rat's ass about the 5 something millions americans who haven't paid a dime to watch this fight? It's all about PPV money generated in the States and the truth is that there are zero MMA fighters who can generate a 500,000 plus buys every fight. Moreover, they are both near retirement and there isn't any sign of the next big PPV superstars to take over. It's not Fox and Spike with their ever decreasing budgets, that will support by themselves the salary of dozens of world champions.
Yes.
Good.
Goooood.

Ah, silly of me to expect round by round analysis of the fight from these pro boxers in this thread. But I guess gut reaction tweets are pretty credible. I mean NBA and NFL players (use to more so before the rules) do it all the time.

They didn't want it because they thought JMM couldn't compete anymore. After the figth now everyone is foaming at the mouth, a fourth will sell better.

doubt a 4th would sell any better, people who didnt watch and heard about the bs decision arent going to go spend money for that to happen again.

As said by a few others in this thread, some of you morons should try watching something other than the latest Pac video on youtube.

With a southpaw versus orthodox match, the lead feet are fighting for almost the same position. Both fighters are trying to get their feet on the outside.

Saying Marquez was on steroids has more merit than this argument.

my god...watch boxing once in a while and you won't make stupid threads like this

your boy was booed out of the arena. suck it up.

LOL. My boy.

I've said that Manny is ducking Floyd, and that Floyd should have taken the fight and beaten Manny when Manny was coming of one of his dominating wins.

Now what?

Last edited:
Of course they fight for position...outside of each other. I saw that video and he barely touches Marquez, where here Marquez is ON his foot and keeps it there.

It's foot stomper...not foot stopper. I think Marquez did well. I'm not complaining that he didn't. Those few seconds may seem minute to you, but if you were in the ring, I'm sure you'd feel differently...especially with Marquez's lead foot on your lead as he punches you :icon_lol: Good luck.

It's common when a left handed fight fights a right handed fighter because both fighters are fighting for position with their lead foot. It happens, all boxers know that. There is another video in response to the Marquez one that showed Pacquiao was stepping on Marquez as well. If it were a deliberate tactic, Roach and Pacquiao would have said something to the ref. It wasn't a problem because it's a common thing. But how does the Foot Stoppers explain the rest of the fight where Marquez countered Pacquiao without stepping on pac. Those foot steps account for a few seconds in a 36 minute fight.

Do major news outlets in Brazil run their news stories via word press? Cos the only article verifying the big numbers for UFC in Brazil is a word press blog.

While it doesn't verify the numbers the sports page for Rede Globo (the network the UFC was shown on) was covered with articles on Junior just after the fight. There's still a few up now (and about MMA in general) if you look: globoesporte.com .

This sounds facetious. Any reason why you think their reactions came from their gut, and not the result of their own scoring like everyone else?
So everyone else complaining drew their conclusions from round by round scoring including all the fans in the arena? Maybe my comment was a little too general but so are tweets. It'd be interesting to see what all these fighters think after watching the fight again and if they did do round by round breakdowns.

I take issue with people calling this fight a "robbery" even if it's a pro boxer saying so. Again, I don't see how a fight this close can be a robbery.

Who cares who won? The Win or loss doesn't matter. It's about who won the "drama". Marquez won the "drama" convincingly by doing exceptionally better than everyone expected. He made Pacquiao look human, and he should be commended for that. That's not the topic anymore.

The topic now, is what should Pacquiao do? Who should he fight next? He lost face and control of the terms of his next bouts. His only choice to make is whether to fight Marquez again or Mayweather. Marquez demands Mexico and PBF has MGM on May 5th.

If you were Pacquiao, would you fight Marquez again and potentially lose out on the finances from the megafight just to settle the rivalry once and for all? Or would you rather fight Mayweather, get the financial reward, but risk Marquez retiring and being , able to forever say, "you never beat me" until the day they die. I think that would eat at Pacquiao more than not fighting Mayweather. I think PAc is too emotionally invested in beating Marquez decisively.

yah pac should keep boxing marquez every year to a close dec, pac = 32 years old marquez = 38. sooner or later pac will win decisively, u know, its not like marquez is at the age when normal fighters retire.

as for foot stomp gate, kudos to marquez who's able to step on a fast pacman who's darting in and out, WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE FLOOR, while throwing a punch all while not getting punched in the face by one of the fastest guys in the sport. he must have +10000 to concentration, or the ability to slow down time. you foos are ridiculous.

btw i think both manny and marquez are on roids, so all marquez did was even up the match by taking roids.

OMG MARQUEZ HAS NEVER TESTED POSITIVE HOW DARE U ACCUSE HIM!!! Maybe manny should have required WADA blood testing haha.

Not that this would drastically alter the outcome but doesnt Pac's body language in between rounds and demeanor not coincide with what he usually was in the past fights? After round 2 Pac's eyes were darting down around places and not really focusing on his corner and looked as if he already was mentally giving up. The fire that was in the first 2 encounter was non-existent in the third face off.

Marvin Hagler has a Twitter account???????????

I mean, I just picture him in Italy chilling, with next to no knowledge of the internet at all.

It's a little known fact but the real reason that the Marvelous One retired back in 87 was so that he could get started on developing the internet....true story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back