Diet Advice

ffoknob

White Belt
Reaction score
Greatings ladies and gents! First post here and i would like to say that after browsing Sherdog a bit, its an amazing forum!

So before i go in what i have gathered and would like confirmed and adviced on, a little bit on what the guy we are working with is actualy made of! (alot of fat sadly....BUT NOT FOREVER HAHAAA!)

So, 6'2" Male roughly 260 lbs mainly fat, not muscle. Slightly more on the endomorph side, im much heavyer than i look (people, including trainers and such) usualy aim for 230-240 lbs when they guess my weight. I am happy to have a healthy heart for my fitness level and shape although its far FAR from an athletic level.

Ill admit i dont do much cardio, not because its to hard or whatever, but simply because i HATE simple cardio. I used to go to an MMA gym (lost some weioght there) and i really enjoyed it. For personal reasons right now its not an option but later i do plan on continuing with the enjoyment of martial arts(especialy kick boxing and muai thai)

I have started training 3 times a week for roughly 45mins/1hour sessions, using a mix of bodyweight exercises and strength band exercises(at home), with barely any rest between sets and exercises(only when i need a breather)

My main Goal is: loose FAT (i dont give a damn about my weight at the moment, as long as my body ends up healthy and in shape for now)

My secondary goal is: get Fit and gain a bit of muscle, not looking to be arnold here, but i wouldnt say no to a somewhat if not true, athletic body.

Im going to sweat, im going to cry like a girly man, but in the end ill stand tall!

NOW on to the diet i would like to be sure is ok:

Of what i gather

High protein breakfast
healthy snacks between meals
non veggie/fruit carbs after workout only
decent veggies and carbs
lots of proteins
Low fats exept quality fats so my brain doesnt die(i have a brain?)

So im thinking
Eggs with a bit of meat for breakfast(like ham)
apples/oranges as snacks, usualy shortly before a workout
a good solid sandwich after workout(meaning whole wheat bread, mustard, a tad of mayonaise, meat spinach and a glass of milk) for a mix of...well everything(possibly tomatoes)
suppers composed mainly of veggies and meat with a bit of rice(but not to much)

And of course our friend: the multivitamin

Now thats the general idea im thinking to follow, while being careful not to eat to much. Im no nutrition expert, my budget isnt the best so im trying to find a decent inexpensive feeding lifestyle and this is what my research has come up with, but i would greatly enjoy the advice of you guys who have alot more experience on nutrition/training than i do!

Thanks in advance!

get some fat in the morning with breakfast for sure.

lose the fruit as snacks

so no snacks at all? should i include the fruits elsewhere? and is the fat from eggs+meat what i should be looking for?

btw by fruit snacks i was thinking one apple for one snack and one orange for the other, just to keep my metabolism a tad higher from digesting and for the nutrients/tiny xtra energy

and: what do you mean by pastured?

The fruits will be okay for you as snacks just don't go overboard. In my opinion, your breakfast has enough fat as it is - whole eggs and ham? I wouldn't be aiming to add any more fat to that but a serving or two of veggies would be a nice addition.

Your post workout meal looks fine to get you started, as does your supper plan. Once you start seeing the weight/fat come off, you can fine tune your diet to meet your needs.

Alright thanks^^ for the info! as i said im trying to go with what i read here and that what i came up with. I limit to one egg(since i know they do have alot of fat), ill try and add a few veggies to it to. As i said for the fruits, its one fruit for one snack, one fruit for the other, just to cut hunger, a bit of energy and keep me going.

Also im trying to keep my supper, although "complete", relatively light .

Btw a funny question i find but i know it probably does do a difference: as a "anti-stick to the fryingpan" product, what would you recommend? currently i use a bit of olive oil and im trying to cut down on it to use a bare minimum.

Alright thanks^^ for the info! as i said im trying to go with what i read here and that what i came up with. I limit to one egg(since i know they do have alot of fat), ill try and add a few veggies to it to. As i said for the fruits, its one fruit for one snack, one fruit for the other, just to cut hunger, a bit of energy and keep me going.

Also im trying to keep my supper, although "complete", relatively light .

Btw a funny question i find but i know it probably does do a difference: as a "anti-stick to the fryingpan" product, what would you recommend? currently i use a bit of olive oil and im trying to cut down on it to use a bare minimum.

Personally, I cook my eggs in water and they stick to the pan, it's always a pain to clean. If I were looking to go non-stick, I would use olive oil or butter and just take a piece of saran wrap and a small amount of either the oil or butter and spread it around the pan that way. You really only need a coating.

I would like to add that your breakfast is kinda skimpy looking with only one egg. A big guy like yourself, you should be feeding a lot heavier than that, even if your goal is to lose weight. I weigh almost 100lbs less than you and I eat 3 whole eggs + 2 egg whites, 2 servings of brocolli, half a whole wheat bagel w/ spinach cream cheese, and a small banana for breakfast. And I'm cutting weight! With success, I might add.

So, check out what your daily caloric intake should be, knock about 600cals off of that and start from there, measuring everything.

ffoknob:

LCHF for beginners | Dietdoctor.com

+

The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

=

Shredding body fat.

I am a fellow endomorph who was once 437. IMO what we do 90% of our time (nutrition, sleep, hydration, fasting etc) is way more important in losing body fat than any exercise you can do. So focus on nutrition changes - that's why you are fat. Bottom line, do your own research, listen to your body (everyone is different), and use what was said in this thread as a starting point to look into things.

Kramer, Volek et al.

Influence of exercise training on physiological and performance changes with weight loss in men.

Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 31, No. 9, pp. 1320-1329, 1999.

Overweight subjects were assigned to three groups: diet-only, diet plus aerobics, diet plus aerobics plus weights. The diet group lost 14.6 pounds of fat in 12 weeks. The aerobic group lost only one more pound (15.6 pounds) than the diet group (training was three times a week starting at 30 minutes and progressing to 50 minutes over the 12 weeks).

The weight training group lost 21.1 pounds of fat (44% and 35% more than diet and aerobic only groups respectively). Basically, the addition of aerobic training didn't result in any real world significant fat loss over dieting alone.

Last edited:
i must say i am surprised at the LCHF website, its very interesting and i find it funny how it simply "destroys" common thinking about healthy eating. Now i am aware to be careful with this information as if i follow LCHF i will need to learn to eat less quickly and to dose /fine tune my meals to my hunger. I tend to eat quickly. But thats not to bad since i guess i will slowly learn how much i need to eat etc and finetune it over time. im currently reading in the leangains guide and i think i will give a second try at a "menu" after that.

Sry for the double post but heres what it would give.

By mixing the general ideas behind both the leangain article and LCHF i wouldnt need any snacks, would limit myself to 3 meals a day(pretty much what im doing right now really) and although i dont plan on actualy ADDING fat as LCHF seems to indicate can be a good idea, i wont be fussing on fat amounts, and eat things i enjoy as long as its natural good fats( no mcdonalds you can go hide in that bunker, thanks, yes eggs and meat get your ass over here )

3 meals, in an 8h window 11h ->3h ->7h (for my lifestyle and working hours its the best i can have)

Breakfasts we are looking at medium sized meals, composed generaly of eggs, some meat and a bit of veggies

Lunches/post workout meal im looking at my biggest meal of the day, high protein meat, veggies and a bit of fruit to replenish blood sugar, yet avoiding starchy foods as LCHF suggests, but still replenishing blood sugar as leangains and pretty much anyone suggests after training. When not training i can skip the fruits.

supper we are aiming for similar to post workout, but smaller.

i find it funny that with that latest info the meal plan has come so much...simpler, and that i just need to follow a few simples rules of thumb
-avoid carbs unless post workout
-dont fear fat, its good for my ass(and brain)
-proteins, feed those muscles.
-eat at regular hours using IF

Don't take anything on any site as "canon" or as a bible - just keep experimenting until you feel good all the time, are losing weight and feel like you are making progress for your own personal goals.

I just showed those links because that's what I have done, it might not work for you personally. If you can just eat less than 100 or 50 g of carbs a day, and where you do eat carbs avoid sugar, and drink only water/tea/coffee and have a good night's rest, and try to introduce some intermittent fasting, you will be probably start losing weight immediately. But again, you are going to have to do some trial and error, and fail a few times, before you find something which perfectly fits you.

well thats why i made a mix of both, ive never been a fan of starchy food apart for bread/sandwiches. i like butter and mayonaise and stuff, and the kind of food LCHF talks about are food i enjoy eating.although im not taking it for "canon" i know myself and if i dont put myself guidelines, i wont follow.

thats why im going to try out the guidelines and "rules" i stated and see if it works.

So, 6'2" Male roughly 260 lbs mainly fat, not muscle. Slightly more on the endomorph side, im much heavyer than i look (people, including trainers and such) usualy aim for 230-240 lbs when they guess my weight. I am happy to have a healthy heart for my fitness level and shape although its far FAR from an athletic level.

Ill admit i dont do much cardio, not because its to hard or whatever, but simply because i HATE simple cardio. I used to go to an MMA gym (lost some weioght there) and i really enjoyed it. For personal reasons right now its not an option but later i do plan on continuing with the enjoyment of martial arts(especialy kick boxing and muai thai)

I have started training 3 times a week for roughly 45mins/1hour sessions, using a mix of bodyweight exercises and strength band exercises(at home), with barely any rest between sets and exercises(only when i need a breather)

So im thinking
Eggs with a bit of meat for breakfast(like ham)
apples/oranges as snacks, usualy shortly before a workout
a good solid sandwich after workout(meaning whole wheat bread, mustard, a tad of mayonaise, meat spinach and a glass of milk) for a mix of...well everything(possibly tomatoes)
suppers composed mainly of veggies and meat with a bit of rice(but not to much)

And of course our friend: the multivitamin

Now thats the general idea im thinking to follow, while being careful not to eat to much. Im no nutrition expert, my budget isnt the best so im trying to find a decent inexpensive feeding lifestyle and this is what my research has come up with, but i would greatly enjoy the advice of you guys who have alot more experience on nutrition/training than i do!

Thanks in advance!

Couple of thoughts...you say you don't like cardio which is fine, its not required to drop weight, but the workout you are doing actually is a pretty good cardio workout as long as you keep the rest periods brief.

On the diet, the original plan you layed out is pretty good and it looks to be not even 100 g of carbs daily anyway if you decide you want go the lower carb route. Carbs do not have to be limited to PWO only even if you are low carbing. The little bit of rice with your dinner isn't going to hurt you and a little variety is good. I think you are on the right track but I do agree with Big Meanie that you probably could stand to eat a little more than what you listed and still maintain a substantial caloric deficit.

Overlooked the part it says you don't like cardio. I was the same way until I went low-carb, then I started to have so much energy I would literally just run around to burn off extra energy and stay up until the wee hours of the night. It's a lot easier to do cardio when you are alert, energy-filled and feel young.

also, cardio sucks ****. Running/walking is gay. Some cardio can be extremely fun though. First, having good music improves the enjoyability of all cardio by x999 - when I listen to Downfall by Children of Bodom my gas tank gets refilled and I want to keep working.

Second, getting cardio which suits you is as variable as a nutrition which suits you. I love boxing. I recommend it because:

1. You learn a valuable skill
2. It scales amazingly well on ability level - you can start off with jsut footwork/light punches, then go to power punches, then fast power punch combinations
3. You don't have to "travel" such as stairs, walking, running etc
4. It tones the entire body - this cannot be understated
5. You can do RIP (running in place), short sprints and other circuit style shit inbetween boxing rounds

If you aren't going to do regular cardio I still think you should try to lift where possible - squats, deadlifts, benchpress/dumbbell press, flies

Boxers still do lots of road work, resistance training and they diet harder than most of us can imagine.

As for number 4 there is no such thing as "toning" just having lower body fat levels increases muscle definition. Any work out will increase blood flow making the muscles larger for a short period.

With that said boxing is a fun to learn at a basic level. Definitely avoid a serious gym if you're a newbie who's just interested in burning a few hundred extra calories a day. There's clubs designed for the weekend warrior/cardio boxing scene and you'll get tons of great exercise in a positive environment. Bjj/MMA clubs seem to have picked up a similar attitude towards customer service and keeping a fun, competitive yet positive environment.

*Edit* Don't really know where I was going with this. Boxing is great but it isn't a magic bullet cardio bullet like I've been seeing mentioned regularly on this forum.

Last edited:
I wasn't even suggesting membership anywhere, just getting a bag, hanging it yourself and doing work.

It's $150-200 for a decent bag and stand/hardware. You can get sick combos on walmart.com. I got a 100 lb bag, a stand, some crappy wraps and gloves for $140, and had a $50 pair of decent gloves already.

My point about toning is that boxing is a form of light weighted training - in other words, you work all your muscles. Not to the same degree as lifting, but its good for general maintenance, especially if you throw power punches and put in intense rounds.

Last edited:
I wasn't even suggesting membership anywhere, just getting a bag, hanging it yourself and doing work.

It's $150-200 for a decent bag and stand/hardware. You can get sick combos on walmart.com

My point about toning is that boxing is a form of light weighted training - in other words, you work all your muscles. Not to the same degree as lifting, but its good for general maintenance.

I think the term you are looking for is calisthenics and aerobic. There is nothing lightweight about boxing, especially when your output level is 80-90%. Just because you aren't lifting weights, does not mean that exertion levels aren't high. Boxing is a combination of aerobic and anaerobic exercise. It's very demanding. There is no such thing as a "toning" exercise.

Back