Lifts I can do with a fractured metacarpal?

beeran1

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hi all - just broke a bone in my hand during BJJ last week, and I'm wondering if y'all can recommend any routines or random exercises that I can do without using it. Bands, weights, whatever.

front squats "genie" grip probably wouldn't hurt it.

Safety squat bar squats.

Deadlift with straps

One armed chins

Jumps, sprints, etc

Zercher squats, Glute Ham Raises, Barbell Hip Thrusts.

Safety bar GMs. Sled or prowler sprints. Lunges, step-ups.

Everything said is good and I originally came in to post a couple that were said.

No need in repeats so I will say this, for alot of upper body stuff such as bench and overhead press I would probably consider using machines for a bit. Better than not doing anything at all.

Also pushups and pike presses. Pulling movements are a tougher thing to get around, but perhaps you could use straps for those, but I'm not sure.

Hi all - just broke a bone in my hand during BJJ last week, and I'm wondering if y'all can recommend any routines or random exercises that I can do without using it. Bands, weights, whatever.

About a year ago, I broke my hand and destroyed a few ligaments around my thumb. It was surgically repaired and casted.

I squatted twice a week in the cast, and then did some unilateral upper-body work. It is possible to perform full back squats, and I recommend you do so.

Take it as an opportunity to get stronger and better conditioned.

About a year ago, I broke my hand and destroyed a few ligaments around my thumb. It was surgically repaired and casted.

I squatted twice a week in the cast, and then did some unilateral upper-body work. It is possible to perform full back squats, and I recommend you do so.

Take it as an opportunity to get stronger and better conditioned.

Don't you risk potential instabilities, overcompensation from other body parts, or something I'm not thinking of with unilateral lifting?

Zercher squats, Glute Ham Raises, Barbell Hip Thrusts.

Ffs, don't do zerchers..

troll-troll-face.png

Don't you risk potential instabilities, overcompensation from other body parts, or something I'm not thinking of with unilateral lifting?

Sure. But it's for a limited amount of time, and the unilateral upper-body work wasn't really my focus. I improved my squat and my conditioning, which I think is fine giving the circumstances.

Considering this is just until your injury heals up, I wouldn't worry too much. If you only trained predominantly one side of the body for years and years then it might become a problem. Due to the contralateral strength training effect, at the very least it'll help you from losing strength on the injured side.

http://j,a,p.physiology.org/content/101/5/1514.full

EDIT: The filter is messing up the link. It is just a meta-analysis of the contralateral strength training effect. If you're interested just remove the commas from the first part of the link.

whatever your doctor says you can do.

we arent doctors.

PUO2 is a shitty gambler.

Back