Pro Wrestling History Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you might know I run BeltTalk.com

I have been lucky enough to come across and own numerous ring used wrestling belts. I have been taking videos of them to show the current condition.

I've also taken videos of some of the belts in my personal collection. Wrestling and MMA.

I will be getting 3 more historic 1980's belts in later this week, and hope to have videos of them up shortly after.

Thanks
Wrestling Belt Videos on YouTube
Awesome stuff Dan! :cool:

Since you're a belt collector/expert, i have a question for you if you don't mind, though i don't know if you'll be able to answer but i figure ill ask. Do you know whatever happened to the old (Los Angeles) WWA World Heavyweight Championship belt? Not the one worn by Edouard Carpentier through Bearcat Wright, but the later one worn here in these pictures:

dickthebruiserwithWWAbelt3.jpg

c39fa548.jpg

pic21.jpg

Obviously it was altered or restrapped (or however you'd describe it) at some point between '64 & '65....

Last edited:
Danny is that the L.A. WWA belt or Dick the Bruiser's WWA belt?

Good question BB. The bottom would have to be the L.A. belt wouldn't it? Unless I am wrong Luke never was a Bruiser WWA champ. The top could be either one as Bruiser was achamp in his org many times and in LA.
Hmmm.... time to google.

Danny says both belts are L.A. belts. He is probably right.

Tully was an awesome World TV Champ, but I am more of an Arn fan.

Tully sure had some great and heated feuds with Magnum and Dusty!

No idea where that belt ended up.

But speaking of Dusty, I got in a ring used belt he held today. Pictures and video to come tomorrow.

No idea where that belt ended up.

But speaking of Dusty, I got in a ring used belt he held today. Pictures and video to come tomorrow.

Yeah, that's the answer i figured id get. Oh well. Thanks for taking the time to answer though, i appreciate it Dan.

Danny is that the L.A. WWA belt or Dick the Bruiser's WWA belt?

Good question BB. The bottom would have to be the L.A. belt wouldn't it? Unless I am wrong Luke never was a Bruiser WWA champ. The top could be either one as Bruiser was achamp in his org many times and in LA.
Hmmm.... time to google.

Yes, that's the Los Angeles WWA World Heavyweight Championship belt. The Destroyer & Luke Graham never held the Indianapolis WWA World title. As i understand it, Dick the Bruiser actually took that belt with him when he formed his WWA in Indianapolis after winning the L.A. WWA World title, but obviously it wasn't his property, so it was returned to L.A. and thus he had his own WWA belt made. This is what the Indianapolis WWA World title belt looked like:

8%20x%2010%20001.jpg

8%20x%2010%20086.jpg

And this would be the original Los Angeles NAWA/WWA World Heavyweight Championship belt:

EdouardCarpentier4.jpg

blassiefredwithWWAbelt1.jpg

8%20x%2010%20080.jpg

b4e783c2.jpg

That first L.A. WWA World title belt is actually suppose to be an old Lou Thesz NWA World title belt. It certainly looks like it, except for missing the crown at the top. It was suppose to have been returned to Thesz when after asked for it back when he beat Buddy Rogers in January '63 to become NWA World Heavyweight Champion again. Anyhow, it looks as if the main plate was changed up at times, as you can see little differences in the main plates in those various pics. In the first Blassie pic, it even looks like it has his named etched into it (though the side plates look to be different in that pic as well). Could be 2 separate belts of the same design, just with minor differences. Who knows.

Speaking of differences, if you notice in the pics of the other L.A. WWA World title belt i posted earlier, there's a little plate that's at the bottom of the main plate in the pics with The Destroyer & Luke Graham wearing the belt that isn't there in the pic of Dick the Bruiser wearing the belt.

Last edited:
Dick the Bruiser's wife has the WWA belt.
The WWA tags are owned by a private collector who offered them to someone for $3,500.

anybody got any info on a tag team called The Chain Gang? They did a Hell's Angels gimmick and apparently one of them got killed by The Outlaws gang.
Not much info avalable online.

anybody got any info on a tag team called The Chain Gang? They did a Hell's Angels gimmick and apparently one of them got killed by The Outlaws gang.

A quick google search provided this link. I don't know if you already saw this or if you were looking for more info than this. I'm not super knowledgeable about pro wrestling history aside from certain names before the 1980's.

http://www.rasslinrelics.com/rasslinrelics/chain_gang_page1.htm

The Chain Gang was one of Don Fargo's many tag teams (the dude was sort of a chameleon and one of wrestling's wildest true life characters). Nobody was killed though. At the time the tag team consisted of Jack Dillinger (Don Fargo) & Frank Dillinger (Kenny Mack). They got jumped at a bar in Milwaukee and Frank was the one who ended up getting shot, but it was in the legs and not fatal. I've read conflicting stories that it was the Outlaws or that it was the Hell's Angels who jumped them, so i don't know. I guess Don would know for sure (Kenny passed away a few years ago). Anyhow, for obvious reasons Frank was replaced in the tag team by Jim Dillinger (Chris Colt/Paul Dupree, who had also done a biker gimmick tag team with Ronnie Dupree known actually as the Hell's Angels and held the Detroit version of the NWA World Tag Team titles multiple times). Both the combo of Jack & Frank and Jack & Jim each held the (Indianapolis) WWA World Tag Team titles. Jack & Frank were actually the champions when Frank got shot, so they vacated the titles. Then Jack & Jim would later defeat Dick the Bruiser & Moose Cholak for the vacant titles.

Jack & Frank Dillinger
401536_346731658679304_867693755_n.jpg

405342_346731598679310_848526203_n.jpg

Jack & Jim Dillinger
401486_346731938679276_344534134_n.jpg

393907_346731968679273_1080005824_n.jpg

Speaking of Don Fargo, i need to get a hold of his shoot interview one of these days as ive heard it's highly entertaining.

Last edited:
Some of the many tag teams of Don Fargo....

The Stevens Brothers, Ray & Don Stevens
f_StevensBrosm_b75d77c.jpg

The Fabulous Fargos:

Jackie & Donnie Fargo
fabulousfargosthe1-1.jpg

Donnie & Johnny Fargo (now doesn't Johnny Fargo look really familiar *wink wink*)
fabulous-fargos-the-16.jpg

The Dalton Brothers/Dirty Daltons:

Jack & Jim Dalton
dirtydaltonsthejackjimwithusbelts.jpg

Jack & Frank Dalton
hellsangelsb.jpg

The Legionnaires, Pvt. Don Fargo & Sgt. Jacques Goulet
407667_346729492012854_2143045527_n.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of info to research for Don Fargo. Thanks Danny. Canoe slam has a nice little article on Greg being Johnny Fargo, btw.

Wow, that's a lot of info to research for Don Fargo. Thanks Danny. Canoe slam has a nice little article on Greg being Johnny Fargo, btw.

Yeah, Don has been around and has (kayfabe) relatives out the wazoo, lol. Quite an interesting guy, and like i said, he's a real true life character. My first exposure to him was actually a few years ago when i saw him on the old AWA ESPN show during his latter wrestling days. He was basically a jobber at that point. I don't remember ever seeing him win a match on that AWA tv show. Don had a rough, tough, interesting look though (he was much more tattooed by that point) and it intrigued me. So i looked him up and learned about him. He's been a part of some good tag teams, but most particularly of course along with Jackie Fargo as The Fabulous Fargos he was half of one of the greatest tag teams of all-time. They were big stars back in the day, and even set an attendance record at Madison Square Garden in 1957 in a match against Antonino Rocca & Miguel Perez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back