Impressive Wing Chun standup

Status
Not open for further replies.
You hardly ever see good wing-chun outside of demonstrations, why? I suppose they don't have good enough sparing methods in their training.

Doesn't mean the system doesn't work. Yeah, there's a lot less power in the punches than there is in boxing or muay thai, likewise you could state that boxing and mt are a lot slower, they're different martial arts which work in different ways.

Wing-chun is all about the flurry of punches, which will disorientate the opponent, and a lot of times, that is followed by take downs, knees, elbows, etc up close to finish the opponent and get out of harms way.

Another is, depending on how bad you're willing to hurt your opponent, there is a lot of focus on aiming for vital areas with those punches and chops, and like someone said, you have better chances on conditioning your knuckles for wing-chun without gloves than for boxing without gloves.

As I said you hardly ever see good use of wing-chun in sparing, but I did find one video with someone actually representing the style well, my guess is he has focused on his technique in sparing, gradually increasing the intensity, to the point where he can stick to it, when things go quick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f7td8Hc-V4

There is a lot of blasphemy on here from many guys who trained from bruno who bought his black belt off amazon.

I posted a link that included all relevant Sifu's taught under Yip/Ip Man. The link included all relevant traditational practitioners of the lineage in contrast to the many off shoots and watered down versions. Unlike others, I wont name drop people of ranking, and status. For starters, that is try hard but, if you have genuine interest in the lineage, seek out anyone from the link posted.

Authentic lineages have a long history. It wasn't like the majority of mma clubs or karate clubs and jits clubs that opened for material gain based upon UFC success and holds no historical lineage, proven background supported by a long lineage. If a club doesn't offer this, I am not interested since, it is an off shoot, and it ruins many of the great martial arts. Many laughed at Machida and karate but, its not the fighter or the art that is the problem. Its the many clubs that offer to teach when they have no place or business doing so.

Actually you completely missed the question. I want your specific personal lineage of instruction. As a "true" WC student I would expect you to understand the importance of that. Happens to be one of the thing as kung-fu practitioner I highly respect about BJJ. SAMAGG has at least posted his partial lineage, and it would be very easy to verify. You are implying your from Ip man's line but never actually give your background.

Actually you completely missed the question. I want your specific personal lineage of instruction. As a "true" WC student I would expect you to understand the importance of that. Happens to be one of the thing as kung-fu practitioner I highly respect about BJJ. SAMAGG has at least posted his partial lineage, and it would be very easy to verify. You are implying your from Ip man's line but never actually give your background.

C'mon Barnowl... read the thread....
puppet_facepalm.gif

I honestly think Chi Sao is like clinching... We should apply those theories to the clinch game! lmao

Wing-chun is all about the flurry of punches, which will disorientate the opponent, and a lot of times, that is followed by take downs, knees, elbows, etc up close to finish the opponent and get out of harms way.

IME, WC isn't about punching flurries or chain punching. It's about control. Just like in BJJ when you get your position before you go for submission; you want to have the superior position and control before you strike. Otherwise all you have is two guys doing the rock em sock em robots dance.

At distance, its akin to boxing. Face the centerline, maintain an attacking line angle that gives you both weapons while minimizing/eliminating theirs. When in contact and bridging...control the body and strike when it counts. Use the opponents arms as levers to turn them, to press and pull, manipulate the head and neck...continue to strike until its no longer effective, then reposition or remove the obstruction and punch again. You can takedown and ground n pound, etc.

Fighting is fighting is fighting. The natural rules are the same regardless of the superficial rules people want to apply to it.

Last edited:
C'mon Barnowl... read the thread....
puppet_facepalm.gif

+1

Its about WC and I posted a link to authentic lineages available world wide. Pick an instructor from the link guys and go train wc. Many Sifus will offer a grace period and you can figure it out if you can handle the training. It takes time and effort but, its part of the process. The state of the economy is due to people taking short cuts, living in homes and driving cars they cannot afford.

IMO people cannot afford to not train wc kung fu but, this is what resonates with me. To each their own. The lessons I learn from this applies to me in Business or college or any walk of life. Machida's father said the samething about Karate and the confidence you gain from a traditional martial art and how you present yourself in the regular world and in everything you do in life.

I honestly think Chi Sao is like clinching... We should apply those theories to the clinch game! lmao

Its nothing like clinching. There are no similarities. You are fighting for center line and the second you own, its game over or you should find another martial art cause, wc isn't for you. This is how its played at and regardless of height or reach, based upon time in the lineage, you own it or get owned by.

You hardly ever see good wing-chun outside of demonstrations, why? I suppose they don't have good enough sparing methods in their training.

Doesn't mean the system doesn't work. Yeah, there's a lot less power in the punches than there is in boxing or muay thai, likewise you could state that boxing and mt are a lot slower, they're different martial arts which work in different ways.

Another is, depending on how bad you're willing to hurt your opponent, there is a lot of focus on aiming for vital areas with those punches and chops, and like someone said, you have better chances on conditioning your knuckles for wing-chun without gloves than for boxing without gloves.

As I said you hardly ever see good use of wing-chun in sparing, but I did find one video with someone actually representing the style well, my guess is he has focused on his technique in sparing, gradually increasing the intensity, to the point where he can stick to it, when things go quick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f7td8Hc-V4

There are too many fraudulent schools and watered down lineages, off shots, and ignorance that floats around. The funny aspect is that, people take what they see on tv or from mma, and apply it to individual arts. This is ignorant since, if you enter into mma, your a mix martial artist and no longer that art. Many arts have different techniques, much of which goes against mma rules. For instances, there are many exits for the clinch. Someone is reaching out with both hands to put you into a clinch. Its outrageous how many different things you can do even with mma rules in tact and infinite when factoring in no rules.

why didnt they do it to my clinch, i was not with fake wc masters, i was meeting with the most renown in hong kong.
they had no answer to my clinch, i played with them, they neverthought the clinch was a joke everytime they hit the matt.

Guys, from a WC standpoint, he doesn't seem to even know what bong sao, lap da and pak da are...let alone how they're used from his statements recently. That, and he won't answer questions about the style either that were presented to him.

He is a troll and while it's fun batting him around like a ball of yarn, it's getting ridiculous....it's more like playing with your poop in the litter box.

MODS: rant

You offer nothing of substance and your response is, "I telling on you?"

You name dropped and none are on that list meaning, your training off shots of lineage.

http://www.wcarchive.com/html/sifus/wing-chun-sifus-by-lineage.htm

Its nothing like clinching. There are no similarities.

There are several instructors within that incomplete list that you like to link who would disagree with you.

It seems fairly obvious you don't fight, and you have no understanding of what fighting is. Chi sao varies quite a bit from one place to another, even within the ip man downline. Why? Because each individual person who trains imparts their own knowledge, experience, and preferences into what they teach. Hawkins' WC didn't look like Robert Chu's and Allan Orr's WC doesn't look exactly like Robert's. But they all agree that chi sao and the attributes learned in chi sao translate directly to clinch work.

Nico Lahood switched from Parker's LTWC to the EMBAS method, and while he loved the way Boztepe applied WC, his version was different than both Parker's and Boz's due to his size and natural attributes. We would actually practice pummeling in that class in addition to our chi sao to show the similarities and how the two worked to the same end--control.

Same goes for my good friend Greg Roman who attained sifu ranking in LT's WC under William Parker and Gary Lam. Greg also studies currently with guys from the YKS WC line in Austin TX and mixes that into his method. Both of those gentleman agree that standing grappling plays a significant role in chi sao and wing chun application.

I myself also believe that WC chi sao plays a tremendous role in clinch work. Not all WC people have the same belief, but not all WC people have cross trained in arts that contain the standing clinch to identify those universal overlapping principals. What you fail to understand--is that many fighting systems seek to control the centerline. Those systems just don't OVER emphasize it like the WC whole does. Wrestlers attack the center for control, Aikidoka work at the center, Boxers attack the center, other styles of kung fu attack the center. That first meridian is the primary target for most arts whether striking or clinching; although clinching doesn't necessarily need to use the centerline, doing so makes you more effective in it.

Last edited:
Your mistaken my post for a discussion. Your mistaken. The yip/ip man lineage and sifu list is above. If you did not train under one of the above sifus, its not apart of the lineage meaning off shoot and what I mean by watered down, and someone's opinion. The entire thread is some guys opinion, two guys who train under the authetic wc lineage. Few in the thread requested info for sifus. The rest shared opinions and their two cents.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has got one.

Train under any of the above sifus then return with informing the thread the nature of wc.

As for fighting, amateur boxing, kick boxing, and martial arts competitions (not mma). The threads about wc. Sort off topic but I digress.

Your mistaken my post for a discussion. Your mistaken. The yip/ip man lineage and sifu list is above. If you did not train under one of the above sifus, its not apart of the lineage meaning off shoot and what I mean by watered down, and someone's opinion. The entire thread is some guys opinion, two guys who train under the authetic wc lineage. Few in the thread requested info for sifus. The rest shared opinions and their two cents.

Train under any of the above sifus then return with informing the thread the nature of wc.

As for fighting, amateur boxing, kick boxing, and martial arts competitions (not mma). The threads about wc. Sort off topic but I digress.

You keep repeating the "opinions are like assholes" line, which is ironic considering you're the only one making an ass out of yourself from your opinions. You sure do like to talk, but that's really all you seem to do. You need to get over this lineage mystique and yourself before any of us will take you seriously.

the 2 instructors were of direct lineage, it means nothing, one was the most highly regarded in hong kong, he was useless.
the other was fantastic, but beatable, fantastic though,veryimpressive.

william chueng was a chronic liar,claimed only he learned real wing chun, he was beaten up by a 17 old boy in holland, untrained boy.

lineage means nothing, but if it is so important to you yes the masters i operated next to in hong kong were the biggest in hong kong, you dont get better then that you fool, and they were not great.

my direct lineage in thailand means nothing, not when the bell sounds.
cant take my masters into the ring my ignorant friend.

If you're going to use your list as the response for everything, you should try being familiar with the individuals on the list. Without realizing it, you just shot down the opinions of several people in the lineages you keep saying are "legitimate".

If you cant figure out yet that "the nature of wing chun" is in fact different from one sifu to the next, there's no point in continuing. But what is the nature of stupid? You've got that down pat.

Still haven't answered any details there bud, no specifics on the technical questions, no proof of your sash claims, no evidence that you've actually trained at all outside of watching videos.

the 2 instructors were of direct lineage, it means nothing, one was the most highly regarded in hong kong, he was useless.
the other was fantastic, but beatable, fantastic though,veryimpressive.

william chueng was a chronic liar,claimed only he learned real wing chun, he was beaten up by a 17 old boy in holland, untrained boy.

lineage means nothing, but if it is so important to you yes the masters i operated next to in hong kong were the biggest in hong kong, you dont get better then that you fool, and they were not great.

Curious what made the second guy so impressive...was it something he did technically..strategically, was it his physical ability (power speed timing strength toughness); I am just curious what made him so effective and/or impressive. I don't see you hand out endorsements like that often, which is why I ask.

You know, if you guys just report him again, he'll probably be banned.

my direct lineage in thailand means nothing, not when the bell sounds.
cant take my masters into the ring my ignorant friend.

Payak, I always enjoy your posts but I especially like this one. What a fantastic phrase. I will use this in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back