How is it possible...I gained weight ?

Metal Stuff

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Recently I started training a lot of Muay Thai/BJJ/MMA a lot, roughly 4-5 trainings a week. I also try to maintain a very healthy diet.Even though my back muscles, shoulders and abs got toned, it appears Ive packed some belly fat. Is this possible, I do not believe with the amount of training Ive been doing and the healthy diet this could happen. It is true I work an office job, 9-5, but still. Im 24, 184cm tall and I weight 86 kgs.

Here is my daily diet.

Breakfast 7:00
3 scrambled eggs with half a cup of oatmeal, some fruits (bananas/kiwi)

Tea 11:00
Full wheat sandwich with ham or an apple

Lunch 12:30
Chicken breasts, green salad with no dressing (only olive oil) and some beans/nuts/lentils

2nd tea 15:00
Full wheat sandwich and some fruit (apple/banana)

Pre training dinner 18:00
Usually ground beef/meatballs/chicken breasts with salad

Post dinner usually 22:00-23:00 (late...I know)
Chicken breasts with salad

Weight loss was never my motivation, but seeing mine actually went up sort of freaked me out, also the belly fat which I never had before... any advice/tips ?

How much do you weigh, how tall are you and whats your frame like?

You're eating an awful lot of protein depending on how big or small your frame is you may want to cut down. Also before your workout you should focus more on carbs instead of protein and salad or maybe just a banana or something for potassium.

How much do you weigh, how tall are you and whats your frame like?

You're eating an awful lot of protein depending on how big or small your frame is you may want to cut down. Also before your workout you should focus more on carbs instead of protein and salad or maybe just a banana or something for potassium.

He's nearly 6'1.. How can it be disadvantageous eating lots of protein?

Some people are Carb types, protein types or mixed. some foods even though healthy will put on weight since your body takes a while for it to fully digest. If you are a Protein type, then carbs will certainly put on pounds.

Also think outside the box, here is a video that can explain some of your issues.

Some people are Carb types, protein types or mixed. some foods even though healthy will put on weight since your body takes a while for it to fully digest. If you are a Protein type, then carbs will certainly put on pounds.

Wtf?

OP, you put on weight because you apparently have been eating more calories than you are burning.

Personally, I would ditch the carbs (that means cut down on your fruits as well), keep your protein high, eat a ton of veggies and make sure you get a lot of healthy fats (olive oil, avocado etc). How many hours a day are you training? The same thing happened to me when I started doing two or three classes a day, my body was holding onto fat for dear life because I wasn't eating enough not because I was eating too much. Just gotta eat a helleva lot of the right foods to keep up with your bodies caloric needs.
Just my two cents.

Most people tend to underestimate the amount of calories they consume while overestimating the amount of calories they burn during exercise.

Most people tend to underestimate the amount of calories they consume while overestimating the amount of calories they burn during exercise.

Agreed. Try weighing your food to get a consistent value on what you are eating and adjust accordingly.

Weighing food, seriously?

If cutting calories is the specific goal, there's a plethora of calories that can be cut from just that regimen.

If you want an accurate guage of how many calories you are consuming you have to weigh your food or just eat prepackaged food.

Measuring "calories" by weight is only accurate if you can actually calculate exactly which calories are going specifically for energy purposes and which aren't, which a food scale isn't going to give you. If by "accurate" you mean, a slightly better guess, that's correct.

That said, there's still cuts of food items that can be made from that regimen without needing to weigh-out meals.

Measuring "calories" by weight is only accurate if you can actually calculate exactly which calories are going specifically for energy purposes and which aren't, which a food scale isn't going to give you. If by "accurate" you mean, a slightly better guess, that's correct.

That said, there's still cuts of food items that can be made from that regimen without needing to weigh-out meals.

'Calorie' is a unit of energy, so, by definition, they all go toward energy purposes. :p

A food scale does tell you pretty much exactly how many calories you're about to eat, assuming the scale isn't messed up. Some people do need them, myself included

You know very well what I was referring to. Yes a food scale can tell you how many calories you are about to eat, but not in what processes those calories are about to be utilized or stored.

He's nearly 6'1.. How can it be disadvantageous eating lots of protein?

protein spikes insulin in the blood. Not to the extent of carbs, but it does have an effect. This is why a high fat diet is advantageous for those wanting to lose weight.

You might have taken the high calorie food and that is why yup must be gaining weight...

Wtf?

OP, you put on weight because you apparently have been eating more calories than you are burning.

I personally wont advise to calorie count. Everytime I hear that people body lose weight but gain it back up again and even sometimes gain more weight.

Personally, I would ditch the carbs (that means cut down on your fruits as well), keep your protein high, eat a ton of veggies and make sure you get a lot of healthy fats (olive oil, avocado etc). How many hours a day are you training? The same thing happened to me when I started doing two or three classes a day, my body was holding onto fat for dear life because I wasn't eating enough not because I was eating too much. Just gotta eat a helleva lot of the right foods to keep up with your bodies caloric needs.
Just my two cents.

ditch the carbs, but eat a ton of veggies? how does that make any sense?

The pertinent information is that consuming above maintenance will lead to weight gain and consuming below maintenance will lead to weight loss.

You don't have to know the exact utilization of a particular calorie to be able to influence weight loss and gain.

Oh sure, you can influence "weight" gain or loss in that manner. Isocaloric nutrition has its uses, but that doesnt mean that its not still guessing in the above-mentioned facet. Biology, and systems that are never in thermodynamic equilibrium (like a human body) are not so easily accounted for by that simple of an equation.

Oh sure, you can influence "weight" gain or loss in that manner. Isocaloric nutrition has its uses, but that doesnt mean that its not still guessing in the above-mentioned facet. Biology, and systems that are never in thermodynamic equilibrium (like a human body) are not so easily accounted for by that simple of an equation.

I agree that isocaloric nutrition, as you call it, is at best a rough reflection of what is actually occuring within the human body.

Isocaloric nutrition is just the best available means of influencing and controlling body composition.

Isocaloric nutrition mah be proven to be akin to ptolemiac astronomy in that it is able to lead to fairly reliable predictions, but is not even a remotely accurate representation of reality and underlying mechanisms.

Back