Who were the 4 LHW who refused to fight Anderson Silva? (when he fought Irvin)

chuck
wand
rampage
shogun

Anderson is the GOAT.

jfwy .... I don't know ... but recall Brandon Vera saying he didn't want tha fight.

Whats with all these insecure Silva threads

Supposedly now Jardine and Thiago were in the top ten at LHW.

Rashad wants to fight Silva now, so lets make it happen and Rashad is not the only top division fighter at LHW, there are numerous ones who wanted to fight Silva including Shogun who Silva declined at LHW.

It happends and fights dont get made for all kinds of reasons but these fights can get made now but it seems we have some issues in regards to Silva's management.

The bottom line is that we can get it done now so lets get it done.

Actually, now that we are at it, here is the ranking with Thiago in the top 10. This is just before the Machida fight when he was unbeaten.

If you are going to claim that someone is not ranked you probably better check before making false statements.

ranks.png

lol!

Sorry pal, I know it does not fit your narrative but who is and who isn't on the top 10 can be easily verified. This is Jardine's ranking at the time of the fight.

You are very funny. Rankings are great when you want to hype Munoz as being #3, but rankings are crap now because they do not say what you want them to say?

Look at RLM go

I have no issue with rankings, if Jardine was 8th on the sherdog rankings thats fine. Boestch at one time was ranked sixth at MW so anyone who beat him at that time beat a sixth ranked division fighter.

Munoz and Maia were good fighters but no one claimed that they were top divisional wins but two ranked wins.

I can understand the need to push this narrative of Jardine, he was a ranked fighter and rightly so.

So Silva not ducking ranked or top division fighters at LHW is the reason for this thread. Look, you take this site too seriously in terms of what people call Silva. He is a MW not a LHW and fights who he fights but the finicky way to push these kinds of threads and point check is my only issue.

What you say is somewhat factual but its a sad narrative that everyone can see through

Shalom.

Last edited:
this just makes Anderson look bad. That list looks like a bunch of cans except for Rashad, who would love the fight now. Just more confirmation that Anderson only likes to fight journeymen.

Here is your source (from Twitter)

MikeyO_MMA‏@MikeyO_MMA
@JamesIrvin now that much time has passed, can you PLEASE tell us some of (or all) the 4 fighters who said no to Andy Silva b4 u accepted???

IrvinJames Irvin‏@JamesIrvin
@MikeyO_MMA 2 of the guys who turned fight down r frends of mine so i dont wana say but i know thiago silva was one who turned it down

MikeyO_MMA‏@MikeyO_MMA
@JamesIrvin I am hearing the other 3 are Rashad, Jardine, and Brandon Vera...any comment? Props for stepping up and facing the Spider BTW.

James Irvin‏@JamesIrvin
@MikeyO_MMA u nailed em, how did u find that info out?

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2015543

If Irvin is buds with a couple of those guys they should pitch in for plastic surgery to fix the scar he has to have from Anderson splitting his face open.

Yeah that was a pretty brutal fight as an Irvin fan. I like both guys, but i was rooting for Irvin and he got trashed hard.

He is still a badass for taking it though.

I didn't know that fighters turned down that fight.

Here's how the fighters were positioned at the time for anyone that didnt know:

Rashad Evans: 11-0-1. Coming off his win over Michael Bisping 8 months prior to UFN 14. Fought Chuck Liddell two months after Silva/Irvin.

Thiago Silva: 13-0. Coming off his win over Antonio Mendes 2 months prior to UFN 14. Fought Lyoto Machida six months after Silva/Irvin.

Keith Jardine:14-4-1. Coming off his loss to Wanderlei Silva 2 months prior to UFN 14. Fought Brandon Vera three months after Silva/Irvin.

Brandon Vera: 8-2. Coming off his loss to Fabricio Werdum 6 weeks prior to UFN 14 (Had yet to fight at LHW). Fought Reece Andy on the same card as Silva/Irvin.

Rashad Evans: 11-0-1. Coming off his win over Michael Bisping 8 months prior to UFN 14. Fought Chuck Liddell two months after Silva/Irvin.

Thiago Silva: 13-0. Coming off his win over Antonio Mendes 2 months prior to UFN 14. Fought Lyoto Machida six months after Silva/Irvin.

Keith Jardine:14-4-1. Coming off his loss to Wanderlei Silva 2 months prior to UFN 14. Fought Brandon Vera three months after Silva/Irvin.

Brandon Vera: 8-2. Coming off his loss to Fabricio Werdum 6 weeks prior to UFN 14 (Had yet to fight at LHW). Fought Reece Andy on the same card as Silva/Irvin.

Great point, all of those fighters were at excellent points in their careers and still feared to fight Silva. Just shows how great he truely was and still is.

Yup, good search. The 1st three were ranked top 10

5c0jma.jpg

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/6/25/558729/bloodyelbow-meta-rankings

I never thought of this that way. Whoa, I may have to rethink my GOAT list. Glover may have a stronger bid than I realized, pretty much all of the division refused to fight him and he beat the one LHW that accepted(Page).

That scene from Dune in the cave popped into my head, the one where one of the tribesman says, "it is the legend."

Great point, all of those fighters were at excellent points in their careers and still feared to fight Silva. Just shows how great he truely was and still is.

Wasn't this whole show thrown together at the last minute in attemp to steal viewers from Affliction?

So these guys would have been taking this fight on very short notice. I wouldn't call that fear. No one (as far as I know) said Machida was afraid to fight Jones when he didn't want the fight on short last fall.

Not Silva's fault but I don't care who turned down fighting him.

I also don't care about GOAT arguments which every Silva thread stinks of these days.

Wasn't this whole show thrown together at the last minute in attemp to steal viewers from Affliction?

So these guys would have been taking this fight on very short notice. I wouldn't call that fear. No one (as far as I know) said Machida was afraid to fight Jones when he didn't want the fight on short last fall.

The fight was announced with more than a month of anticipation, so the negotiations with the 5 fighters happened well before that.

This is definitely not comparable to the Machida situation which was 1 week notice.

Jardine is legit. He went the distance with Mousasi, who is a top professional world-class kickboxer.

How would Anderson be able to finish him if a K1 guy couldn't?

That guy think Mousasi is a top professional world-class kickboxer(wtf) and his striking is better than Anderson?

Thiago Silva
Brandon Vera
Rashad Evans. (I think Rashad. I pretty positive he was the other. I MAY have been Jardine. But i'm pretty sure the last was Rashad.)

Vera... haha been interesting to see if Silva would have wrecked Vera worse than Bones did.. Would have been like Forrest fight.. except Forrest at least knew to stop before he really got hurt

Back