$2,000 Headphones...Yay or Nay?

I love my Sennheiser headphones that I paid 250$ for (4 years ago). The only problem is that the 5 o'clock shadow that I usually have ripped apart the 'lethery' material that covers the cushions over the years.

I would love to get a taste of what true audio is like with high end head phones being used to their max potential. Just one hour lol. I was saving to buy a pair for over $200 but my current headphones broke and I bought some $40 Skullcandies. Personally, they sound great to me. I can't imagine what the audio guys in this thread are experiencing, but I want to. One thing I know for sure is I will never spend less than $20 on headphones no matter how desperate I am. Iphone headphones included. They're garbage.

nas2011_stax.jpg

5,000 dollars will get you the best headphones money can buy.

But you will need at least 2,000 dollars for the amp.

STAX sr009 > ALL

I'd go sr-007 MKI over sr-009, but the former can't be found new anymore.

I'd go sr-007 MKI over sr-009, but the former can't be found new anymore.

You mean the original omega? Bc the sr 007 mk2 can't hold a candle to the 009 even with a low end amp like the 323s.

I've heard from people who tried both that the 007 is more accurate when it comes to reproducing the source material (neutral). I'd honestly love either, but minutia.

Buy it while laughing at all the poverty in the world IMO.

I've heard from people who tried both that the 007 is more accurate to the source material (neutral).

That would be impossible. The engineers at Stax put too much science into the sr 009 to make that happen. They are probably saying that because they can't afford it. It's the best omega yet, and certainly the best headphone in the world in terms of accuracy. With the 2nd being the Taket h2+.

I think the most I've ever paid for headphones was $35, and I thought THAT was pricey if that tells you anything.

But, hey, if that's your thing, go for it.

No, they're guys who own the expensive stuff, and often master music professionally, etc. The sr-009 supposedly has a slight mid-bass hump, but extends more in the lower. And is smoother, but more pronounced (if that makes sense) in the upper frequencies. (Compared to the MK1, not the MK2.5)

Maybe they're wrong, who knows. Both still sound great, so who cares?

No, they're guys who own the expensive stuff, and often master music professionally, etc. The sr-009 supposedly has a slight mid-bass hump, but extends more in the lower. And is smoother, but more pronounced (if that makes sense) in the upper frequencies. (Compared to the MK1, not the MK2.5)

Yeah. When you get to that level in headphones, people should start worrying more about their source material than trying to be critics. Most audiophiles are snobs though. IMO They would rather spend time typing a four page review on headfi and sniffing their own farts than actually listen to the music.

No, they're guys who claim to own the expensive stuff, and supposedly often master music professionally, etc. The sr-009 supposedly has a slight mid-bass hump, but extends more in the lower. And is smoother, but more pronounced (if that makes sense) in the upper frequencies. (Compared to the MK1, not the MK2.5)

Fixed that for ya. ;) I'm sure stax engineers and designers who run a hifi audio company that has been around since the 1930's know more than some elitists on a forum.

Er... no these guys do frequency response graphs, CSD plots, etc. So they can backup their subjective opinions with objective data, or at least try to. They've participated in the field professionally, so they do actually exist. Are you OK, man?

Also, did you see what Senheiser did with the HD800 and the HD700? Or Beyerdynamic with the Tesla line? Or AKG with well, everything? Engineers and the companies behind them aren't infallible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think for most people anything in the >$100 is pointless since they're plugging it into a shitty audio source (e.g. phone, iPod) anyway.

Er... no these guys do frequency response graphs, CSD plots, etc. So they can backup their subjective opinions with objective data, or at least try to. They've participated in the field professionally, so they do actually exist. Are you OK, man?

And the people that make the headphones don't? LOL

You're not really making sense. You sound like a er... mindless nuthugger. I'm walking away now. *backs off slowly*

Heeeeeeelllllll fuckin naaaaawwwwww!

If I was rich and had money to throw around, yay. Otherwise nay. Also the design for those headphones are pretty ugly IMO.

I have spent more on crazier things than headphones so I think if it makes you happy then buy them and enjoy the sounds.

Back