What do I need to have good MMA wrestling? For someone that never wrestled! (Like GSP

x100handslap**

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Like I presume that not everything in free style and greco roman wrestling is useful in MMA? Which is good because I have less to learn.

What exactly will I need to learn from a wrestling perspective if I only ever want to use wrestling in an MMA setting?

What do I need to have really useful wrestling in MMA?

I didnt learn it young and I only train muay thai and BJJ so its a big hole in my game.

GSP didnt learn it young either probably because he is from Canada? Yet he has become one of if not the best MMA wrestler despite this. (not that I will ever reach his level)

So what do I need to know to have a solid useful high level wrestling ability only under MMA settings?

Last edited:
Wrestle like its MMA setting rather than wrestle like its wrestling practice.
Put in light strikes, just so that you are aware of it.

Wrestle like its MMA setting rather than wrestle like its wrestling practice.
Put in light strikes, just so that you are aware of it.

Thanks mate like what do I practice?

At the moment in BJJ I only practice single legs, x2 legs and sprawl, and well im not sure if a BJJ guy controls the same way as a wrestler but im always trying to get dominant position and keep them in the inferior position!

Also I hear I need a chain of takedowns so not just relying on a x2 leg or single I need to be able to transition from one to the next if one fails, the only transition I know after a failed shot is an ankle pick takedown lol

What exactly in like a list do I need to have/know?

e.g.

1) a good x2 leg

2) a good single leg

3) a good sprawl

4) good top control (not sure what this is in a wrestling sense or how to get it)

5) understand the wrestling stand up clinch work (no idea here other than underhooks to stop a shot)

6) pummeling (no idea what this is)

7) Have a greco upper body clinch throw learnt

8) etc

So I need a check list

Chael Sonnen says that the single leg is disappearing from mma and that it will only exist for real wrestlers. The double is the money maker. The single might be more for fun for you.

You will want a couple of sprawl counters, like the sit-out, or an alternate finish for your double you can do when you get sprawled on but maintain your posture.

Chael Sonnen says that the single leg is disappearing from mma and that it will only exist for real wrestlers. The double is the money maker. The single might be more for fun for you.

Really? Why is that? I heard its a really good shot to go for?

Im a southpaw and most of my opponents are orthadox so the single leg is a really easy grab for me alot of the time.

Really? Why is that? I heard its a really good shot to go for?

Im a southpaw and most of my opponents are orthadox so the single leg is a really easy grab for me alot of the time.

In before "SS is a tarded TMA guy and not a wrestler," which is true.

If you aren't awesome at the single leg, people of just regular skill will hop around on one foot punching you in the face. Your wrestling skill has to be way past their TD defense skill for it to work out for you.

You will want a couple of sprawl counters, like the sit-out, or an alternate finish for your double you can do when you get sprawled on but maintain your posture.

Got it ok thanks mate! Im gonna look foward to sprawl counters never looked that up before! See what I mean by complete lack of wrestling knowlege.

If you aren't awesome at the single leg, people of just regular skill will hop around on one foot punching you in the face. Your wrestling skill has to be way past their TD defense skill for it to work out for you.

I don't agree with this.

hopping around on one leg while punching=weak pattycake punches and you are way off balance. only REALLY good wrestlers with really good hips are able to punch on one leg and not look dumb doing it.

I don't agree with this.

hopping around on one leg while punching=weak pattycake punches and you are way off balance. only REALLY good wrestlers with really good hips are able to punch on one leg and not look dumb doing it.

I can do it. I'm not a wrestler.

If you came from kick boxing, people catch your kicks and hold you up on one leg all the time. Some of the kick catch moves and counters aren't all that different from single leg snatch material, once the leg is up. You spend a lot of time on one foot.

There are so many options once you have them on one leg, why not just kick out their supporting leg or put their leg between your legs and pull them backwards as you turn a right angle?

There are so many options once you have them on one leg, why not just kick out their supporting leg or put their leg between your legs and pull them backwards as you turn a right angle?

There is nothing wrong with kicking their leg out, but people will see the kick coming and bounce or fall and take the pressure off. When they fall down, the rules favor them because you aren't allowed to stomp on their nads or kick them in the head. They have time to turn to you and get their legs in the way. If you do a good TD with it, you can try to land in an advantageous position.

The take down you brought up is bread and butter for a lot of guys that are good, but managing it is harder in mma than wrestling because of their hands being free to hit.

Double legs, sprawling, gripping in the clinch (not getting dominated, e.g. giving up double underhooks), how to scramble out of a failed shot/sprawl counter, and how to escape from turtle. That's more of a specialty of American folkstyle, but it's very valuable in MMA. Also how to do various rides, also more of a US folk thing (AFAIK, I could be wrong, but I've seen very little riding in the international styles).

And though I think of them as Judo moves because that's my background, if you're relying on wrestling for all your TDs I'd work a bit on inside and outside trips, as well as foot sweeps. Very good moves to have when you're in the clinch, and definitely very present in US folk and international freestyle wrestling.

Double legs, sprawling, gripping in the clinch (not getting dominated, e.g. giving up double underhooks), how to scramble out of a failed shot/sprawl counter, and how to escape from turtle. That's more of a specialty of American folkstyle, but it's very valuable in MMA. Also how to do various rides, also more of a US folk thing (AFAIK, I could be wrong, but I've seen very little riding in the international styles).

Sweet cheers bud!

George has been training with Canadian Olympic wrestlers for 10 years, not sure how many years wrestling before that, and he is a off the charts for strength/conditioning/athleticism. I don't know if we will ever see another non-wrestler that can out wrestle people like GSP can. So just train as much as you can with the best people you can for several years and good things happen.

George has been training with Canadian Olympic wrestlers for 10 years, not sure how many years wrestling before that, and he is a off the charts for strength/conditioning/athleticism. I don't know if we will ever see another non-wrestler that can out wrestle people like GSP can. So just train as much as you can with the best people you can for several years and good things happen.

I would (and have) argued that GSP doesn't totally outwrestle people on the whole, he out double legs them and then goes into BJJ mode once he's on the ground. It's the perfect combination for MMA, frankly.

But the fact that he even TD the beast wrestlers at WW at all is amazing and speaks to the quality of his wrestling. Though I would note that his shot is not a classic wrestling shot...he doesn't really change levels like a wrestler would, he mostly uses his double leg as a counter to punches, just ducking under the punches and spearing the guy without a power step style shot.

I would (and have) argued that GSP doesn't totally outwrestle people on the whole, he out double legs them and then goes into BJJ mode once he's on the ground. It's the perfect combination for MMA, frankly.

But the fact that he even TD the beast wrestlers at WW at all is amazing and speaks to the quality of his wrestling. Though I would note that his shot is not a classic wrestling shot...he doesn't really change levels like a wrestler would, he mostly uses his double leg as a counter to punches, just ducking under the punches and spearing the guy without a power step style shot.

Brilliant observation!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back