What do I need to have good MMA wrestling? For someone that never wrestled! (Like GSP

MMA wrestling is 70% timing, 20% technique. Limited technical skills can be highly effective when combined with superb timing.

MMA wrestling is 70% timing, 20% technique. Limited technical skills can be highly effective when combined with superb timing.

Funny, I've always thought timing was a big part of technique, I've never separated the two.

Also, that's only 90%. Is the other 10% running sprints until you puke? Because I recall that part of wrestling well.

Funny, I've always thought timing was a big part of technique, I've never separated the two.

Also, that's only 90%. Is the other 10% running sprints until you puke? Because I recall that part of wrestling well.

My heart is about to ache just reminiscing about those runs around the track. :icon_sad:

10% is basically chasing it down when the guy defends. Physical aggression after you have a leg attack.

Is timing part of technique? No, absolutely not. There is different timing to each attack, but that is not considered technique. Timing is one of those intangibles such as confidence, anticipation, mentality, etc.

Just do BJJ but focus on top position and starting standing.

Oh and think of being in Guard as losing.

Go to an MMA class and practice takedowns with kickboxing and submissions allowed

If that isn't an option just practice more takedowns in BJJ and Muay Thai

10% is basically chasing it down when the guy defends. Physical aggression after you have a leg attack.

Is timing part of technique? No, absolutely not. There is different timing to each attack, but that is not considered technique. Timing is one of those intangibles such as confidence, anticipation, mentality, etc.

I disagree. Timing = technique.

Not in a mood to argue, so I'm gonna leave it right there.

In before "SS is a tarded TMA guy and not a wrestler," which is true.

If you aren't awesome at the single leg, people of just regular skill will hop around on one foot punching you in the face. Your wrestling skill has to be way past their TD defense skill for it to work out for you.

This is just odd to me, as I generally find the single way easier to finish against more skilled opponents, particularly running the pipe to finish.

Only because nobody else has said it yet...GSP himself said in an interview that his ability to hit doubles and his takedown defense all come from his Kyokushin Karate footwork.

So start doing some kata I guess.

Chael Sonnen did a great non-troll interview with Flowrestling.org where he explained how "the wrestling that works in MMA is only two or three moves," in his educated opinion.

Unfortunately, that video is now offline.

But then earlier this year Chael did an even better interview with Luke Thomas about successful MMA wrestling!

Some gems:

"There's only a couple of things in wrestling that really work. Wrestlers tend to do good in MMA because they tend to be just some tough guys ... Wrestlers don't do well because wrestling technique is superior to another discipline's technique."

"Georges St. Pierre has one wrestling technique, which is the double leg. Now off of that double leg he's got about three different setups, about six different finishes ... I would call him the best wrestler in MMA, but I would also go out and go 'Georges knows extremely little about wrestling.'"

leverage, timing, aggression, always working for a set up. practice penetration step, cutting angles, and shooting through your target and not into. Control your opponent. If you get a hold of an opponent's bodypart, that bodypart is now yours.

repetition, repetition, repetition.

Agree or disagree, it's food for thought:

"If I go to wrestling practice ... I'm going to hit a hundred different moves ... In MMA, there's only one or two that work. So from a defensive posture, you don't have to learn wrestling to stop wrestling. You only have to learn a quick sprawl to stop a double leg, and maybe something else."

"I don't believe the single leg exists in MMA ... I say 'Look again, does he have my leg, or do I have both of his hands?' You don't want a single leg. I'll gladly start a fight allowing a guy to have a single."

Chael Sonnen did a great non-troll interview with Flowrestling.org where he explained how "the wrestling that works in MMA is only two or three moves," in his educated opinion.

Unfortunately, that video is now offline.

But then earlier this year Chael did an even better interview with Luke Thomas about successful MMA wrestling!

Some gems:

"There's only a couple of things in wrestling that really work. Wrestlers tend to do good in MMA because they tend to be just some tough guys ... Wrestlers don't do well because wrestling technique is superior to another discipline's technique."

"Georges St. Pierre has one wrestling technique, which is the double leg. Now off of that double leg he's got about three different setups, about six different finishes ... I would call him the best wrestler in MMA, but I would also go out and go 'Georges knows extremely little about wrestling.'"

"If I go to wrestling practice ... I'm going to hit a hundred different moves ... In MMA, there's only one or two that work. So from a defensive posture, you don't have to learn wrestling to stop wrestling. You only have to learn a quick sprawl to stop a double leg, and maybe something else."

"I don't believe the single leg exists in MMA ... I say 'Look again, does he have my leg, or do I have both of his hands?' You don't want a single leg. I'll gladly start a fight allowing a guy to have a single."

I saw that interview and Chael was right. You aren't going to see a lot of Russian arm ties or half nelsons in MMA. Hell, the only ankle pick I've every seen was when handy took down James Toney.

But what can be used (aside from takedowns) are the use of leverage and positioning in the clinch. Clearly it's a beneficial skillset on the ground as well.

Learn how to shoot for starters. Just drill shots 24/7, its the most basic wrestling move. A lot of people on here don't like to shoot for some reason, they like to use weird trips and stuff, shit that isn't very effective if the guy is a strong wrestler.

This is a good double leg

[YT]JVi2pzMgt6U[/YT]

Don't do this kind of shit. This will not work on anyone that knows how to wrestle.

[YT]k6sXdmaxIKc[/YT]

This is just odd to me, as I generally find the single way easier to finish against more skilled opponents, particularly running the pipe to finish.

I never go for those moves. I can do a double. I just don't, because it doesn't seem necessary to me. I feel like if I am so superior to someone that I can hit my shitty wrestling on them, I can just beat them up in the clinch instead and not risk all the chaos of dropping my head by their knees.

When people take me down, I have been fully thrown by doubles, for example if I'm too weak in a clinch or if they hurt me first with strikes, but when I've been singled, I always felt like it was to my advantage. Like, if I can hit you in the back of the head with 2-3 elbows before I fall your advantage on the ground is going to be eaten up.

I want to like the single leg snatch more than anything. I really do. I feel like I could be good at it. I've straight up yanked people off their feet just picking up their leg, but I'm scared of it. It seems crazy to dip down by someone's knee and grab at their leg without off balancing them at all first.

Learn how to shoot for starters. Just drill shots 24/7, its the most basic wrestling move. A lot of people on here don't like to shoot for some reason, they like to use weird trips and stuff, shit that isn't very effective if the guy is a strong wrestler.

This is a good double leg

Don't do this kind of shit. This will not work on anyone that knows how to wrestle.

dis not wrestling dis not zho zhits dis is mma

no one said on this forum that no one likes to shoot. we're all here trying to offer some stuff for the clinch.

i can list awhole bunch of fighters tripping others if u like.

seriously though, this video has a good amount of trips.

Last edited:
Back