Ever wanted to learn a martial art that is largely considered "ineffective?"

I previously worked in several Chinese malls and have been intrigued with Tai Chi. The focus, flexibility and concentration of practicioners more than double my age has become an appealing thing to strive towards.

I've always wanted to learn capoeira, although I don't really think of it as largely ineffective for the right fighter it would definitely be wasted on me trying it in the ring/cage.

Still, I've always wanted to learn capoeira.

When mixed with MT, capoeira is amazing. It is a lot of work and you can't take it apart part by part. You have to just enjoy the art and the game, playing capoeira, by the rules.

There are a group of guys here that mixed it with MT. They can spin dodge head kicks and TKD turning kicks better than anyone. They fight conventionally, but if they sting you with a punch or teep, they start into the jinga and throw the hardest god dam finishing kicks you will ever see.

Yeah i agree with that. Muay Thai and Capoeira mix very well.

I hear for self defense, escrima is superior to either because you'd be proficient at knives and sticks which are far more common in a street setting than a sword and rapier.

Well sure, if your aim is to kill someone

Different things for different stages in life. I did some sword work and kung fu and it would be nice to push one to a level of artistry but now I'm coming into the kickboxing/boxing world and it's so deep it feels like it will go on for some time. Definitely want to go back to some jits too. I love sparring and trying to win too much.

I can relate to OP. When I first started combat sports, it was boxing and "MMA". I've become interested in Taekwondo recently even though I still box, kickbox and grapple with an MMA and grappling club (even did a BJJ comp yesterday).

I know it's an unpopular opinion here, but I would be ok with getting back into Tai Chi. I did it in college for credit (judo, BJJ and karate didn't fall in with my schedule :( ). Japanese Jiu-jitsu or Aikido I would actually be ok with doing on the side from a respectable source. But only for the art, history and to supplement the actual combat sports I do.

...u have the freedom to explore anything you want...most people have passions that have nothing to do with fighting...I get how training a martial art..that may not be easily modified or incapable of being modified may seem crazy. But what matters is u getting what u want out of it...esp since you already established thst u can fight..and understand what it takes.

It's become tedious to me, constantly trying to reaffirm myself that I can do pretty
good if shit ever went down. There'll always be that lucky punch that you don't
see coming. It could come from a battle worn bad ass with decades of training and experience or it could come from some punk who just happened to throw at the right
angle at the right time. I've accepted that anyone can be defeated at any given place at any given time. If Fedor can lose and Anderson Silva can lose... You know?

I know it's an unpopular opinion here, but I would be ok with getting back into Tai Chi. I did it in college for credit (judo, BJJ and karate didn't fall in with my schedule :( ). Japanese Jiu-jitsu or Aikido I would actually be ok with doing on the side from a respectable source. But only for the art, history and to supplement the actual combat sports I do.

I did Aikido for a semester in college. It's a clear cut example of traditions and forms, but not exactly what I was looking for at the time. At this point in my journey, I'm at a crossroad and don't really know exactly what I want yet, but I'm sure it's something other than busting heads and kicking legs.

Capoeira would be great to learn so you can be the dance master of every wedding your wife drags you too

It's weird. Like most of you, I went through the whole ninja-vandamme-chucknorris stage in the eighties and moved on to more competition-based styles. Maybe it's because I never took Taekwondo or Karate when I was a little kid.

As a guy that has done a lot of Karate, I'm not sure you'd really like it, at least not the newer age ones like Shotokan or Kyokushin. The forms really lack the mysticalism, they are more like a choreographed dance for competition's sake. I really like them, I still occasionally practice them, but it was more of an acquired taste. They are rigid and harsh, it's not like the more circular Kung Fu forms.

If you're looking for a sport, I loved fencing, to be honest I probably loved fencing more than all the combat sports I have done combined (although this was a lot more for social reasons) but you'd shit yourself at how expensive it is. You can find a good club that has smelly "open" equipment but just quickly glancing, it's 40 bucks for a cheap jacket, 35 for cheap knickers, 10 bucks for an underarm protector, 50 bucks for a cheap mask, 10 bucks for the gloves, 5 bucks for the superlong socks so your legs don't get cut up, 40 bucks for a practice weapon (close to double it if you want a competition weapon) and +70 something for lames if you want to do foil and sabre, +10 bucks for a body cord to hook up your weapon...
Epee is the only weapon that translates to real life because there is no rule system, it is who strikes first gets the point. Foil is way more fun and it is also probably the coolest to watch, but the right of way system makes it purely a sport. Sabre is really not as fun as it sounds, it's generally just too people smacking each other with a stick as hard as they can to try and outspeed the other guy.

Have you gone off the deep end? Not at all. Like Joseph Campbell says "follow your bliss"

I always wanted to try a Chinese martial arts and then spar sanshou rules. Then hopefully that will open doors for me so I can research and find out why there is no ground fighting in any Chinese martial art. I mean they have the Chin Na and the throws, but that is it? You would think at some point a Chinese guy would think if he applied the chin na to a grounded opponent, it would be pretty effective compliance tool.

I always wanted to try a Chinese martial arts and then spar sanshou rules. Then hopefully that will open doors for me so I can research and find out why there is no ground fighting in any Chinese martial art. I mean they have the Chin Na and the throws, but that is it? You would think at some point a Chinese guy would think if he applied the chin na to a grounded opponent, it would be pretty effective compliance tool.

Youll have alot of people give you different stories. One in particular is that groundfighting was avoided because kung fu was a military art and going to the ground is a battle idea on a the battle field/ with out expanding much on this seeing how ive done so numerous times lets just say that is outright bs

The lack of ground grappling in chinese martial arts stems almost solely from the common cultural view that it was ungentlemanly or dirty. you can see this in the little "ground fighting" chinese martial arts has and by that I mean its groundwork consists of how to get off the floor quickly when one falls and makes the assumption the opponent will not follow you to the ground when you are tossed.

Well, in fairness, throwing someone on the ground in competition with mats and throwing someone to the ground on concrete or marble or hard wood floors is a lot different. You generally won't have to follow them to the ground in real life if you hip toss someone on his head.

Toyama Ryu was the most fun I had. Stealing the opponents soul through their eyes an shit. Sensei was an orthopedist and had trained with some of the emperor's body guards in Japan. Got shown some 'real ninjitsu' and the schools secret move..

Katana is a pretty awesome weapon.

I live the other side of the country now otherwise I'd still be doing it.

...but just quickly glancing, it's 40 bucks for a cheap jacket, 35 for cheap knickers, 10 bucks for an underarm protector, 50 bucks for a cheap mask, 10 bucks for the gloves, 5 bucks for the superlong socks so your legs don't get cut up, 40 bucks for a practice weapon (close to double it if you want a competition weapon) and +70 something for lames if you want to do foil and sabre, +10 bucks for a body cord to hook up your weapon...

Jesus, all that cash just to try it out?! No thanks.

...Sabre is really not as fun as it sounds, it's generally just too people smacking each other with a stick as hard as they can to try and outspeed the other guy.

I know it probably looks more bad ass in real life, but the way you described it sounds hilarious.

I previously worked in several Chinese malls and have been intrigued with Tai Chi. The focus, flexibility and concentration of practicioners more than double my age has become an appealing thing to strive towards.

And not once do you see anyone there with an expression other than calm.

Jesus, all that cash just to try it out?! No thanks.

No no, as I said, schools probably have that equipment for you to borrow. But if you want to compete, it's minimum 200 for epee and probably closer to 250-275 for the others, and that's the cheapest equipment possible.

I took Japanese swordmanship for 6 years. Kind of pointless I guess. But Im pretty deadly with a samurai sword. If I get confronted by a gang, they better hope there isn't a random katana lying around, cuz they would be sorry.

You know when your nuts TS - when you've moved to rural Japan in the hopes of becoming a shinobi, changed your name to Gennosuke, start eating sushi rice & speaking english with a japanese accent - until then you're safe lol.

I say go for it TS.

I started a couple of threads about training in traditional arts and got mildly flamed. Virtually everyone around here are MMA fans (many fanatical) and the ones who train mostly train in combat sports. So they basically view traditional arts as a waste of time.

I believe that it all depends on what you want out of the art. Personally, I was always very interested in Kendo/traditional JJ, so I would love to take that. It would be for fun and meditative purposes (I am not spiritual). Unless you are in the military or have a job that requires martial skills, I don't see anything wrong with training for fun or personal development. Isn't that the point for most people? Once I am too old to get punched in the face, I can definitely see myself moving to a traditional art.

No no, as I said, schools probably have that equipment for you to borrow. But if you want to compete, it's minimum 200 for epee and probably closer to 250-275 for the others, and that's the cheapest equipment possible.

True. But if it's anything like boxing and sharing gloves, you might as well be sharing a cup.

I took Japanese swordmanship for 6 years. Kind of pointless I guess. But Im pretty deadly with a samurai sword. If I get confronted by a gang, they better hope there isn't a random katana lying around, cuz they would be sorry.

They better not fuck with you in an antique weapons store or they are in for a very
short fight.

You know when your nuts TS - when you've moved to rural Japan in the hopes of becoming a shinobi, changed your name to Gennosuke, start eating sushi rice & speaking english with a japanese accent - until then you're safe lol.

I know not what you speak of, Azam-san.

Back