What does The War Room consist of mostly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed this as well. Pretty much any poll leans heavily to the liberal side of the issue but, as you would expect, the same people pretend to be an oppressed minority or describe themselves as "moderate conservatives" despite being way to the left of any extant civilization.

So Sherdog seems to pretty much match the US as a whole. Extremely left wing but describes itself as conservative due to lack of world travel.

I don't think that's the case at all. I think members to the far right tend (think ruthless robert, hadron, or, more presently, Cable) to be a bit more vocal and fervent, so it may seem that those towards the left are in the minority. But I've never seen a woe-is-me type of culture. If anything, in this community, the left tends to be comprised of pragmatists more than anything else (other than maybe Nicky, who can be a bit of a bleeding heart from time to time).

Also, you tend to see a lot more of the us-versus-them rhetoric from those on the right in this forum. A lot of "liberals do this" or "liberal are always that" type of stuff-- much like what you said in your post. Heck, I think a lot of the "liberals" here don't identify as such outside of this forum.

You can divide the war room into two groups. People who disagree we with me, who are clearly D's, and people who agree with me, who are clearly highly intelligent, morally upstanding people.

This thread is a good example. 25 responses so far, five attempted to really answer the question, one with some data (Speak), two by crying about liberals (AS, Trop), one bad joke (lf), and one blatant troll (Lucas).

I would say that the community leans, as is consistent with most politically inclined Americans it seems, toward a philosophy most closely identified as libertarian. However, the mood and direction of a lot of the threads is determined by a very vocal far-right minority.

I did a survey of WR contributors and discovered similar trends and an overall pull towards the center-left. While the group surveyed as being pretty solidly invested in capitalistic economic ideals, the group's most ardent identification was left-leaning and was that of a secularist: being opposed to policy being influenced by religion or moral tradition. The second most universal polling was a pull to the right on the "Ecological/Anthropocentric" spectrum.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f54/results-wrs-political-leanings-analysis-2670065/

Good work, this should help the TS with his question.

Just firing from the hip, it seems that we have a pretty good share of left leaning and right leaning folks. Speak def approached it more scientifically, but I do find that Libertarians are over represented here (greater number in the WR than the general population).

Good work, this should help the TS with his question.

Just firing from the hip, it seems that we have a pretty good share of left leaning and right leaning folks. Speak def approached it more scientifically, but I do find that Libertarians are over represented here (greater number in the WR than the general population).

I think extremists in general are overrepresented here (and probably in all discussion boards). I think genuine conservatives are pretty underrepresented (the right-left split is pretty normal, but most of the right-wing posters support radically remaking American society along Randian lines).

A lot of angry people.

This thread is a good example. 25 responses so far, five attempted to really answer the question, one with some data (Speak), two by crying about liberals (AS, Trop), one bad joke (lf), and one blatant troll (Lucas).

It's kind of beautiful that a thread asking about the WR would then become a microcosm of it. While no one post alone may answer OP's question, the thread as a whole may answer it best.

1268.gif

It's kind of beautiful that a thread asking about the WR would then become a microcosm of it. While no one post alone may answer OP's question, the thread as a whole may answer it best.

1268.gif

:eek:

1268.gif

Please stop blowing my mind.

Extreme left wingers, extreme right wingers, religious zealots, and anti-religious zealots mostly. And conspiracy theorists. Can't forget IDL.

I think most of the posters here enjoy the polarized atmosphere, and are fairly genuine in their opinions.

But there are definitely some people who just like the sound of their own voice and will abandon honesty and integrity to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back