This Gen's Work Ethic

Cheese

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I seen a couple of thread threads about this Entitled Gen and just had talk to someone who runs a High End Boutique shop selling High Designer clothes and he stated that he had had to change his approach to dealing with today youth(early 20s just entering the work place). He stated that it is hard to keep younger employees more than 2 to 3 yrs and during the interview process them tend to ask "What Can This Job Offer Me" and he ends up trying to sell them a job, instead of them begging for it, and these are folks that walk into his shop.

Now I remember always being asked "What Can I Bring to Job" and "How Can Help The Company" and "Where Do I See Myself in 5yrs",etc... So it is weird for me to hear him explain his interviewing process where he is Selling the job and this is a job where they can make a thousand a day in commission on top of a good salary.

But does this Gen have the right approach and asking what they are going to get out of a job instead of what they can give to it?

They all need Adrian Peterson in their lives

Most people get jobs because they need money. I never gave a single shit what I could offer a job, unless I planned to make it a career. People going to work should absolutely ask "where is the ceiling for this job?" and "ultimately, what am I going to get from it?"

Not many people want to work in retail environment for long. Shit. The dude is lucky that people stay for a few years. Even if it's "high end", it's still selling clothes. These people are taking those jobs while looking for a potential career.

I think it is a little bit of both. Employees should put their best effort into the job at all times and if they perform well then they should know that they have opportunities to move up because of their performance and extra effort.

If the employee knows that they will see advancement due to their extra effort and initiative, they are more likely to stay at that job and care about it imho. If it is obvious that no matter how much extra effort you make it will be ignored and there is no opportunities for advancement, then what is the point.

I have stopped hiring under 25. The work ethic of those raised on nickelodeon and MTV is abysmal. They have no concept of teamwork and want to get by on someone else's coat tails. I know there are exceptions, but how can someone be expected to work hard when they have no concept of life without Google or a smart phone?

"What can this job offer me" is a pretty good question to ask.

Agreed current gen work ethic is abysmal. Lazy little shits don't even have enough nous or care to conceal it.

I agree but its a bit silly to expect people to want to sell clothes for more than 2-3 years if even that. Those kinds of jobs always have a high turnover rate because its just a segue into a career, something to pay the bills while going to school or looking for something better.

considering that the productivity of the average american worker has steadily increased since the 70s id say its more about the perception

I feel like the job you work has little to do with your work ethic. Most jobs don't require much, that doesn't mean people who break their balls won't outperform their coworkers, but it's not really much of a workout either way.

I agree but its a bit silly to expect people to want to sell clothes for more than 2-3 years if even that. Those kinds of jobs always have a high turnover rate because its just a segue into a career, something to pay the bills while going to school or looking for something better.

I kinda brought that up and he just said but the money some of them are making is going be better than any enterey level job they are gonna get and that there is opp to move up and on to their own store like he did. But by then I could he was trying to sell me on what a good job it was.

It sounds shitty, and it some ways it is, to hear an entry level no-skill potential employee say things like that. But if you actually think about it retaining employees can save the company money in the long run (depending on the industry). The cost and pain in the ass of recruiting, interviewing, vetting, hiring, and training over and over again are avoided or reduced by offering a few incentives to increase retention.

Because people smartened up and don't want to work like a slave for a company so the CEO can buy his 15th yacht.

Hard work is great when it's a job you care about keeping. If you don't care about keeping it then it's natural to half ass it because in the end, networking and personality beat out hard work when it comes to promotions.

I kinda brought that up and he just said but the money some of them are making is going be better than any enterey level job they are gonna get and that there is opp to move up and on to their own store like he did. But by then I could he was trying to sell me on what a good job it was.

It's nice that it's better than any entry level job, but they aren't trying to beat "entry level". They're trying to reach "career" level. Some people work at Costco for 12 bucks an hour. Much better than the typical "entry level" income, but it isn't a career. It's a place holder for something better.

There needs to be a balance. Employers shouldn't be slave drivers while Employees should work hard and do a good job.

But does this Gen have the right approach and asking what they are going to get out of a job instead of what they can give to it?

It's a fair question, considering he is getting a crap income to spend his time working in a clothing retail store. What does your store offer compared to the others? Why should he work for yours and not other stores?

The whole "they should be begging to have a job!" mentality is so outdated.

I have stopped hiring under 25. The work ethic of those raised on nickelodeon and MTV is abysmal. They have no concept of teamwork and want to get by on someone else's coat tails. I know there are exceptions, but how can someone be expected to work hard when they have no concept of life without Google or a smart phone?

And then you have the baby boomers who are stuck in their ways, refuse to change, don't fully utilize technology, have a sense of entitlement and typically coast in their position once they get comfortable.

Generalizing and stereotyping is fun!

I seen a couple of thread threads about this Entitled Gen and just had talk to someone who runs a High End Boutique shop selling High Designer clothes and he stated that he had had to change his approach to dealing with today youth(early 20s just entering the work place). He stated that it is hard to keep younger employees more than 2 to 3 yrs and during the interview process them tend to ask "What Can This Job Offer Me" and he ends up trying to sell them a job, instead of them begging for it, and these are folks that walk into his shop.

Now I remember always being asked "What Can I Bring to Job" and "How Can Help The Company" and "Where Do I See Myself in 5yrs",etc... So it is weird for me to hear him explain his interviewing process where he is Selling the job and this is a job where they can make a thousand a day in commission on top of a good salary.

its a balance. they should complement each other. workers should do their best @ what they do to bring honor and prestige for business. The business should in turn compensate & give recommendations on the individual's resume.

If either side gets too much power, the system inverts & becomes unfair. Thats kinda the deal with Walmart. Before in the good old days, the manufacturers had all the selling power on who buys what and how much. Now in the case of Walmart, Walmart, the distributor/retailer has most of the power, deciding what their store will sell and how much which the manufacturers have to comply or else they get dropped as a potential business partner.

its a balance. they should complement each other. workers should do their best @ what they do to bring honor and prestige for business. The business should in turn compensate & give recommendations on the individual's resume.

If either side gets too much power, the system inverts & becomes unfair. Thats kinda the deal with Walmart. Before in the good old days, the manufacturers had all the selling power on who buys what and how much. Now in the case of Walmart, Walmart, the distributor/retailer has most of the power, deciding what their store will sell and how much which the manufacturers have to comply or else they get dropped as a potential business partner.

They should.

You get what you pay for with employing people for low wage jobs. For a career jobs, you should have high expectations and not put up with entitled bullshit. I think part of the problem is people sometimes come from too laid back of work environments..you know this hip, cool whatever goes offices where it's mostly young people in the office and the rules allow them to get away with murder. Then a couple years later they come to a more established company and can't understand why they're held to higher expectations and then cry about it.

Back