Three custom moutguard brand review: Impact, Gladiator, Shockdoctor

Great thread a few questiongs from a mouthguard newbie:
1) Why not tight fit like the gladiator? If you are boxing do you have to worry about covering your gums (unlike MMA elbows to the mouth not allowed)? Also why did the gladiator cut you? It looks like rubber material, is this a poor design flaw or just the anatomy of the elbow impact?

2) How about breathability. Are two peice mouthguards (vs one peice) more breathable? What do most pro boxers tend to use?

3) how do guys normally mantain their mouth guards?

Yes for boxing or mma u need to have a mouthguard that covers gums as well....double guards make it harder to breath imo

Great thread a few questiongs from a mouthguard newbie:
1) Why not tight fit like the gladiator? If you are boxing do you have to worry about covering your gums (unlike MMA elbows to the mouth not allowed)? Also why did the gladiator cut you? It looks like rubber material, is this a poor design flaw or just the anatomy of the elbow impact?

2) How about breathability. Are two peice mouthguards (vs one peice) more breathable? What do most pro boxers tend to use?

3) how do guys normally mantain their mouth guards?

1) It is not the material issue that makes mouth guards cut an individual. It is the anatomy and how the guard conforms to it. It is hard to comment on this because there are many factors. If the impression is workable, then in theory all should be okay. One thing to check is that not all anatomy is the same. So sometimes it is really difficult to take out a mouth guard from the front. These individuals, need to create the release from the back at the molars and then take out as sometimes individuals cut themselves taking out the mouth guard. Any other instance would be on a case by case scenario.

2) Most boxers use top upper arch mouth guards, from what I have experienced.

3) Keep away from heat during warm weather. Rinse and brush or there are also cleaning tablets sold online.

Custom mouth guards are definitely the best fitting. I use mine to play regular sports that is 3mm thick, and have another one for Muay Thai which is about 6mm thick.

Back