The Magical Jabs

nice read overall, but I have a question. Ike clearly telegraphing by this jerking the fist motion right before he throws the jab, no?

If you watch the video very carefully you can see that while Ike is keeping his guard up he's constantly motioning with both hands. Yes he does do a little bit of a fist pump before throwing his jab, but he's moving both hands very subtly and throwing feints with those fist pumps that he doesn't follow immediately with the jab. He also makes a very similar motion prior to throwing his hook so the standard slip to the outside defense could lead to you eating a left hook. The same goes for preparing to parry the jab with the right hand and the hook comes instead.

This is one of the primary reasons using feints are absolutely neccessary. They've become a lost art for the most part except for the very best in the boxing game and are nearly impossible to find in MMA.

If you watch the video very carefully you can see that while Ike is keeping his guard up he's constantly motioning with both hands. Yes he does do a little bit of a fist pump before throwing his jab, but he's moving both hands very subtly and throwing feints with those fist pumps that he doesn't follow immediately with the jab. He also makes a very similar motion prior to throwing his hook so the standard slip to the outside defense could lead to you eating a left hook. The same goes for preparing to parry the jab with the right hand and the hook comes instead.

This is one of the primary reasons using feints are absolutely neccessary. They've become a lost art for the most part except for the very best in the boxing game and are nearly impossible to find in MMA.

Nice breakdown, thanx!

But I am still not convinced that the guy had a "great jab". I watched recently James Toney vs. Mike Maccullum, I think both guys displayer great sharp jabbing there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru60nOgqVu4

Nice breakdown, thanx!

But I am still not convinced that the guy had a "great jab". I watched recently James Toney vs. Mike Maccullum, I think both guys displayer great sharp jabbing there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru60nOgqVu4

Ike's jab was sharp, accurate, fast, and unlike most hurt as much as a power punch did. That's what makes it different. His jab was as good as a power-cross from most fighters.

McCallum has a great jab. Toney's is meh, but that's mainly due to lack of commitment on his part.

Ike's jab was sharp, accurate, fast, and unlike most hurt as much as a power punch did. That's what makes it different. His jab was as good as a power-cross from most fighters.

McCallum has a great jab. Toney's is meh, but that's mainly due to lack of commitment on his part.

ok, thanks, i will try to learn more about the guy (ike)

Any suggestions on elbow Hyper extension guys? its becoming real fragile,mostly happens when reaching in from too far on the outside ?

And no disrespect, but the power jab vid featuring Miguel Cotto, does not really seem like the appropriate example. I am sure the jab he does has power, but hurting the opponent with it does not seem to be his main goal. Instead it looks as if he is throwing a "driving" jab. This is designed to drive the opponent back, most likely to the ropes which is where Miguel Cotto likes to be.

When I think of power jab, I think of a punch just designed to hurt the uke right where he stands, and any kind of desired reaction is just a side effect. So to me, the jab must come out fast, and quick. Miguel Cotto's jab in that vid seemed slow, and telegraphed.

So does it occur to you that because it hurts that it drive the opponent back? The driving back is a side effect, not the other way around at least in my opinion.

And every punches all hurt where the opponent stand. That doesn't just include a power jab.

And no disrespect, but the power jab vid featuring Miguel Cotto, does not really seem like the appropriate example. I am sure the jab he does has power, but hurting the opponent with it does not seem to be his main goal. Instead it looks as if he is throwing a "driving" jab. This is designed to drive the opponent back, most likely to the ropes which is where Miguel Cotto likes to be.

When I think of power jab, I think of a punch just designed to hurt the uke right where he stands, and any kind of desired reaction is just a side effect. So to me, the jab must come out fast, and quick. Miguel Cotto's jab in that vid seemed slow, and telegraphed.

I've never heard of a "driving" jab. In Gyms, theoretically, a power-jab merely suggests a more dramatic step to have the entire body in motion in the direction of the jab.

Against Malignaggi and Judah, Cotto's jab did a lot to effectively neutralize the speed of both of those fighters. He was dramatically out-sped by both men in terms of physical ability. Plus, he landed plenty of bashing, thumping jabs. They were FORTUNATE to have been moving back because if they didn't, it would have been much worse.

Keep in-mind, Cotto's left is his far superior hand as he's left-handed.

I was going to ask before bumping into this thread:

Do you jab off your back or front foot?
Do you keep your head off center when jabbing?

by the way: I'm a southpaw. Although southpaws are usually advised to use the straight left against orthodox boxers, I think it is possible to constantly land the jab when you are positioned correctly and when it's well timed and set up. Of course this applies to landing the straight left as well.

You should always be gauging distance with the jab hand if you're the one initiating attack. And the way I teach jabbing specifically is to plant back foot and push forward with the front foot. This allows for the head to stay back regardless of how far the punch goes out.

Very effective southpaw jab by Winky Wright -

[YT]M4UD9RlFvZk[/YT]

I'm amazed how Winky was in full control with basic boxing and moderate speed. When I think of all the things Hopkins did versus Trinidad. Hopkins used his full range of Ring IQ and intelligence.

Very effective southpaw jab by Winky Wright -

[YT]M4UD9RlFvZk[/YT]

That's an interesting fight because if you watch when Winky was dropping that jab up the middle, he was basically taking the inside angle and letting Trinidad take the supposedly superior outside angle but just beating him to the punch. It's a great example that southpaw vs. orthodox should be more than just footsie to see who can get to the outside to land the cross.

Back