What sport's position produces the best athletes?

Your evidence is that football players wear tight fitting clothing? Lol. There are gifs of soccer players acting like gheysters on the field rofl.

The FACT that you are self-proclaimed soccer (football as it's known as overseas) fan and you're honing in on the "tiiiiiiight" pants of football players essentially says everything we need to know about which sport is more entrenched in gheyster culture LMAO. You expose yourself without even knowing it.

rofl

You another one of those pussies who thinks being ghey is a bad thing?

Ok :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:.

images

You another one of those pussies who thinks being ghey is a bad thing?

Never even came close to making that assertion. The FACT that this is the first place your mind went to essentially says everything we need to know here (self-hating gheyster?).

Your subconscious isn't doing you any favors ITT rofl. Pretty textbook for someone with an advanced degree in psychology (myself, etc) - see this stuff all the time. The subconscious mind is very powerful and reveals things that we might not want revealed as is clearly evident in your posting(s).

Never even came close to making that assertion. The FACT that this is the first place your mind went to essentially says everything we need to know here (self-hating gheyster?).

Your subconscious isn't doing you any favors ITT rofl. Pretty textbook for someone with an advanced degree in psychology (myself, etc) - see this stuff all the time. The subconscious mind is very powerful and reveals things that we might not want revealed as is clearly evident in your posting(s).

I was just asking a question.

Way to jump to assumptions. :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Sigmund Freud is that you ?

diveball fans w/ the constant Napoleonic complex up in here (not all of you guys, respect)

Gymnast? The balance and coordination is off the charts.

diveball fans w/ the constant Napoleonic complex up in here (not all of you guys, respect)

Soccer players are not migits. They are average. They range from 5'7" to 6'5"

I give you some examples of tall soccer players.

The strikers/target man:

Fernando Llorente 6'5"
Andy Carroll 6'4"
Graziano Pella 6'4"
Edin Dzeko 6'4"
Oliver Giroud 6'4"

They are tall but in the normal sense. Basketball players are awkwardly and too tall. They cant get through a door without skrunching

the best diveball player in the world, had to literally take HGH NOT to be a legal midget. nice try tho

this thread go dead after I post up the Bball flops. They are even funnier than the funniest soccer dives because 1 they are not moving at high speed, 2 the court is so much smaller, and everyone is so much closer to the refs.

this thread go dead after I post up the Bball flops. They are even funnier than the funniest soccer dives because 1 they are not moving at high speed, 2 the court is so much smaller, and everyone is so much closer to the refs.

:icon_lol:

@Rum getting obliterated in this thread
It's the delusions they feed these kids outside North America (chiefly in Europe and South America). They really do get sent as lambs to the slaughter against North American sports fans. The level of ignorance required to believe that Premier/Liga players are faster than NFL players is worthy of a Floridian charter school. Not that Corona needs the retroactive 2-year assist, but...
Basically, Ronaldo would be one of the 3-4 lightest football players in the NFL, he's one of the fastest players in the world's most popular sport -- which has the largest pool of players to draw from -- and he still runs only a 3.61 in 25 meters. Is that fast or slow?

25 meters is about 82 feet, or 27-28 yards. Projected out to 40 yards, it would mean that Ronaldo ran a 5.28 40-yard dash. As in, that would be the slowest time at the NFL combine most years, and usually run by a 360lb nose tackle. But this is a 175lb world-class soccer player who is also one of the top 5 fastest players (it would already be a slow time for a world-class player who has mediocre playing speed).

So your silly comment of "It's not football players' faults all that dorky gear makes them look so lumbering and clumsy, but the numbers don't lie. Even soccer players from mid-league teams leave the best football players in the history of the game far in their wake when it comes to speed and acceleration. And, yes, endurance." is completely bogus, the video below actually argues that Ronaldo's sprinting technique is actually quite sloppy. I guess playing a D level sport like divegrass requires less technique than "clumsy" football. lmao!!!

Also this.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000537507

Max Speed (Ball Carrier)
The fastest ball carriers during Week 2 all topped 21 mph during individual plays: Pittsburg Steelers wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey (22.01 mph), New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. (21.74 mph), Washington Redskins running back Matt Jones (21.64) and Cleveland Browns wide receiver Travis Benjamin (21.42 mph).

There's also a video of an NFL player running 25 mph on a treadmill, lmao!!!

My point here is that in a 40 yard dash NFL players would burn soccer players, because they practice it. Your article only shows the runners top speed at the height of their acceleration, which is different. The second link I provided does the same thing and essentially shows that NFL players are just as fast if not faster, all while being larger, stronger and more powerful.

And for the record I don't think there's anyone in the NFL named "Ashley" lol!!!!

EXPOSED

@Rum getting obliterated in this thread
Top 100 meter times by NFL players
See #5, there, @Rum?

That's this guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Hayes
250px-Bob_hayes_cowboys.jpg

250px-Bob_Hayes_1964b.jpg

oct-16-1964-olympic-games-in-tokyo-hayes-wins-gold-medal-for-usa-robert-E0X1JB.jpg

And that time was the World Record he set while winning the gold medal he is wearing above in 1964 before hopping over to join the Cowboys on the way to a Hall of Fame career as a WR. He still holds the record for the fastest 4x100m anchor leg in history.

See #3? Jeff Demps? The 10.01? Look to the right. That time was ran in high school. Unlike Bob, who some will try to call a "Sprinter", as if parsing that matters, he went straight into football out of this high school career. I can only imagine how many D1 track coaches cried themselves to sleep over that. For reference, Usain Bolt ran a 9.93 at that age-- as a professional track star.

If you want to talk raw speed mph, I threw out a quick Google:
main-qimg-5acc9cf40e57c3b869e91aaf047f4796-c

Carl Lewis ran a 9.92 in 1988. As you can see, his fastest 10m split was 0.83. This means during this 10m stretch he maintained an average speed of 26.95mph. That's how fast the fastest guys in NFL history have been able to run: 26mph-27mph (~12.0 m/s).

Acceleration? Quickness? The midgets can't even win this. Ronaldo's 3.61 in the 25m Corona quoted above can be compared more directly to the 3/4 court sprint at the NBA Combine: 75 ft = 22.86m.

The top time listed with the modern testing methodology and equipment is 2.91 by Cookie Belcher from 2001. That would be a 3.18 if you just projected out the time linearly, but of course, as you can see in the chart below (or above), by the time you've reached 20m, your average speed for the next 10m has doubled, and the elite sprinters are only ~15% off their top speed at this point averaging 10.7 m/s at this mark:
Chart1-600x294.png

If I dock this NBA player 1 m/s to be safe, projecting a fly speed of 9.7 m/s I extrapolate a 25m time (requiring almost no adjustment) of 3.13s. That's nearly half a second superior to Ronaldo. Extend that time frame out to 100m. That's equivalent to beating a guy by over a full second.

But I think my favorite is the 2.99s court sprint from Joe Alexander who was 6'8", 220 lbs, bench pressed 185 for x24 reps, had a 38.5" max vertical leap, and washed out of the league in under 2 years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Alexander
220px-Joe_Alexander.JPG

That dude is quicker, faster, stronger, taller/longer, and bigger than Christiano Ronaldo.

Yeah, don't get me started on vertical leaps. Years ago @Thames tried arguing that with me, and I dug up an S&C study of a bunch of Dutch players from the Premier League. The average standing vertical leap was 24.5". For NBA draft prospects the median range is 31"-34" in this test.

Last edited:
It's the delusions they feed these kids outside North America (chiefly in Europe and South America). They really do get sent as lambs to the slaughter against North American sports fans. The level of ignorance required to believe that Premier/Liga players are faster than NFL players is worthy of a Floridian charter school. Not that Corona needs the retroactive 2-year assist, but...

Top 100 meter times by NFL players
See #5, there, @Rum?

That's this guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Hayes
250px-Bob_hayes_cowboys.jpg

250px-Bob_Hayes_1964b.jpg

oct-16-1964-olympic-games-in-tokyo-hayes-wins-gold-medal-for-usa-robert-E0X1JB.jpg

And that time was the World Record he set while winning the gold medal he is wearing above in 1964 before hopping over to join the Cowboys on the way to a Hall of Fame career as a WR. He still holds the record for the fastest 4x100m anchor leg in history.

See #3? Jeff Demps? The 10.01? Look to the right. That time was ran in high school. Unlike Bob, who some will try to call a "Sprinter", as if parsing that matters, he went straight into football out of this high school career. I can only imagine how many D1 track coaches cried themselves to sleep over that. For reference, Usain Bolt ran a 9.93 at that age-- as a professional track star.

If you want to talk raw speed mph, I threw out a quick Google:
main-qimg-5acc9cf40e57c3b869e91aaf047f4796-c

Carl Lewis ran a 9.92 in 1988. As you can see, his fastest 10m split was 0.83. This means during this 10m stretch he maintained an average speed of 26.95mph. That's how fast the fastest guys in NFL history have been able to run: 26mph-27mph (~12.0 m/s).

Acceleration? Quickness? The midgets can't even win this. Ronaldo's 3.61 in the 25m Corona quoted above can be compared more directly to the 3/4 court sprint at the NBA Combine: 75 ft = 22.86m.

The top time listed with the modern testing methodology and equipment is 2.91 by Cookie Belcher from 2001. That would be a 3.18 if you just projected out the time linearly, but of course, as you can see in the chart below (or above), by the time you've reached 20m, your average speed for the next 10m has doubled, and the elite sprinters are only ~15% off their top speed at this point averaging 10.7 m/s at this mark:
Chart1-600x294.png

If I dock this NBA player 1 m/s to be safe, projecting a fly speed of 9.7 m/s I extrapolate a 25m time (requiring almost no adjustment) of 3.13s. That's nearly half a second superior to Ronaldo. Extend that time frame out to 100m. That's equivalent to beating a guy by over a full second.

But I think my favorite is the 2.99s court sprint from Joe Alexander who was 6'8", 220 lbs, bench pressed 185 for x24 reps, had a 38.5" max vertical leap, and washed out of the league in under 2 years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Alexander
220px-Joe_Alexander.JPG

That dude is quicker, faster, stronger, taller/longer, and bigger than Christiano Ronaldo.

Yeah, don't get me started on vertical leaps. Years ago @Thames tried arguing that with me, and I dug up an S&C study of a bunch of Dutch players from the Premier League. The average standing vertical leap was 24.5". For NBA draft prospects the median range is 31"-34" in this test.
great post. any stats on Wall or Westbrooks court Sprint? i cant seem to find any data (havent looked too hard) Westbrook may be the most explosive athlete ive seen in any sport, and John Wall at least appears to be faster end to end.

No need for futbol or beisbol to be involved in this discussion. I'll go with NBA shooting guards. If you aren't an elite A+++ athlete you better be a deadeye shooter. You typically have to be a hybrid of both tho to make it as a starting SG in the NBA

This. These guys 6' tall, and play in a league full of elite athletes averaging 6'7".

Nah, the fastest soccer players have acceleration, straight line speed and agility which leaves football players in the dust.

You have to remember that while football seems like a big sport to America it pulls from a relatively small talent pool compared to soccer, which takes athletes from all over the planet. A larger talent pool is more likely to find more talent. That's a no-brainer unless you're a brainwashed American.

I mean, just look at the fastest players IN NFL HISTORY:

Fastest OF ALL TIME = Chris Johnson, RB 4.24 seconds for a 40 yard dash. That's 8.62 m/s.

Now look at the fastest soccer players in the English Premier League alone, so not including Spain, where Ronaldo and Messi play, or Germany, the league of the World Champions, or any of the other top 5 or 6 pro soccer leagues:

Ashley Williams plays for a mid-table team, is not even a striker or winger (generally the fastest players) and clocks 20.98 mph. That's 9.38 m/s. And he's ranked about 20th fastest in just one of the top 5 or 6 leagues.

Maybe it's because they wear all that goofy-as-fuck padding but watching football players try to change direction or accelerate compared to soccer players is like watching B-52s try to dogfight compared to F-18s.

It's not football players' faults all that dorky gear makes them look so lumbering and clumsy, but the numbers don't lie. Even soccer players from mid-league teams leave the best football players in the history of the game far in their wake when it comes to speed and acceleration. And, yes, endurance.

I mean, fuck, look at the balance, agility and fast-twitch of Jose Aldo. This is a guy who couldn't make it in soccer because he's too small, but P4P he's an elite specimen. And there are thousands like him - and better - in soccer.

mj-laughing.gif

Interesting, I always thought the opposite.

From my limited knowledge, genetic pre-disposition will always drive the athlete toward the sports that they are most likely to excel in.

My worst sport was basketball and I was pretty good, and it was my preferred sport. I am not the norm though.

Back